The Mechanisms of Billy Beane's Brain - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Mechanisms of Billy Beane's Brain

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Mechanisms of Billy Beane's Brain

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:23 am

When Billy looks at his starting staff he has got to smile. He knew that keeping the Big 3 was impossible and it looks as if he has done the best he can to morph the staff into something that can keep the A’s challenging for the AL West title for years to come. Though this season may be a stretch.

We all thought the man was crazy for tossing away Mulder and Hudson. I guess being in Oaktown helped us understand that they both could not be kept but who would have thought that these two guys were getting bounced and not Barry Zito? Zito must not have been getting the response Billy Beane was hoping for.

I am looking at the A’s staff. Topped with Barry Zito and then the up and coming Rich Harden they have two very good young veteran arms.

Danny Haren is a 24-year old right hander. His record in the higher leagues of baseball are not too impressive. Beane is gambling here but the upside is terrific.

Joey Blanton is a guy we have bantered about since last season. Another 24-year old righty and with absolutely mad control. He will be a star, too. It’s almost a toss-up between him and Meyer.

It is Dan Meyer who really has me intrigued. He is a 23-year old lefty with exceptional control throughout his pro career. 38- to 87 K/BB in the minors. Not bad at all. He is my #1 rookie SP prospect for a possible late-round pick. He may the better k getter than Blanton.
[/b]
My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Postby fantasyfiend » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:46 am

Blanton and Haren both possess immense control. (something that is usually difficult to "teach") I think your a little to generous on your ceiling for both of them though. The general consensus amongst both scouts and sabermetricians have Blanton and Haren projecting to be #2 (at best) and #3 (at worst) starters (on a regularly rotation). I think the lack of K's and GB's hurt their ceiling.

Meyer on the other hand probably has the most upside...but with only 61 IP in AAA alot of people feel he needs more "seasoning".

The only one draftable right now (in mixed leagues) is probably Haren. Other two are good late round fliers in AL keepers.

And the reason why beane kept Zito was because his stock was lowest of the 3. Beane wasnt just gonna ship away an Ace at $6M unless it was an offer he couldnt refuse.
fantasyfiend
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)

Re: The Mechanisms of Billy Beane's Brain

Postby warrick95 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:09 am

Y`s Guy wrote:When Billy looks at his starting staff he has got to smile. He knew that keeping the Big 3 was impossible and it looks as if he has done the best he can to morph the staff into something that can keep the A’s challenging for the AL West title for years to come. Though this season may be a stretch.

We all thought the man was crazy for tossing away Mulder and Hudson. I guess being in Oaktown helped us understand that they both could not be kept but who would have thought that these two guys were getting bounced and not Barry Zito? Zito must not have been getting the response Billy Beane was hoping for.

I am looking at the A’s staff. Topped with Barry Zito and then the up and coming Rich Harden they have two very good young veteran arms.

Danny Haren is a 24-year old right hander. His record in the higher leagues of baseball are not too impressive. Beane is gambling here but the upside is terrific.

Joey Blanton is a guy we have bantered about since last season. Another 24-year old righty and with absolutely mad control. He will be a star, too. It’s almost a toss-up between him and Meyer.

It is Dan Meyer who really has me intrigued. He is a 23-year old lefty with exceptional control throughout his pro career. 38- to 87 K/BB in the minors. Not bad at all. He is my #1 rookie SP prospect for a possible late-round pick. He may the better k getter than Blanton.
[/b]

I agree. Beane's building for the future because he knew he wouldn't be able to keep Hudson and Mulder. I think he also knows that Zito's value was at an all-time low after last year, so if he was going to make a trade at all, it didn't make sense for it to be Zito. In addition, Hudson's K rate dropped last year (and it's rumored that his splitter won't be used as much anymore) and Mulder had a mysterious hip problem late last year. That's just speculation, but it certainly adds fuel to the burning fire.

Anyway, about the pitchers:

1. Harden- legitimate future ace. The guy just brings the heat. Nothing more.
2. Zito- still a solid, crafty veteran. Maybe he's been figured out a little and his curve isn't being thrown for as many strikes, but he can still be at least servicable. He won't be as bad as he was last year.
3. Haren's interesting, as you said. He's not electrifying, but he owns solid stuff to eat up good quality innings.
4. Meyer is their best pitching prospect now, as you said. Plus he's lefty.
5. I don't think as highly of Blanton as you do, because he doesn't really have really amazing stuff. His control is impeccable, though. He doesn't have ace potential, IMO, but certainly is more than capable at 2/3, which is what he'll do.

And don't forget Daric Barton in the Mulder deal. He's near Young and Kotchman for best pure hitter in the minors.
warrick95
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby RynMan » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:35 am

Major sleeper for this season is Dan Haren. Any questions go look at his splits for 2004. Notice how good he was down the stretch.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby looptid » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:38 am

The Athletics also were able to stockpile live arms for their bullpen. Guys like Jaun Cruz and Kiko Calero, in addition to Dotel and Street will be able to come into the game and go after hitters, making the A's pen much better this season and in future seasons.
looptid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Half Massed » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:04 am

while the losses of mulder and hudson hurt i agree that it was for the best. if haren, meyer and blanton develop and pitch as hoped the A's will have one of the best rotations of 2007 or 8. in the long run the move was for the best. however, i wouldn't write off the A's this season that quickly. They'll more than likely fall off last years numbers, but they have a lot of flexability in their rotation, which can allow them to ride the hot hand if they have to. besides the threesome of meyer, haren and blanton, they also have yabu, the real veteran of the squad, cruz can start if need be, he has before and he has the stuff for it, and elarton seems to be back from injury and could contribute. i think its highly possible the A's could find a way to get the wins, one way or another. that's just pitching though, the offense is another story. although if they learn to play small ball like they've been working on, i think the A's can at least compete this year. at least i hope so lol. :-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Half Massed » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:06 am

oh yeah i completely forgot the bullpen. if the starters struggle, the A's have a great bullpen that they can rely on consistantly, reminiscent of the Angels of 2002. its almost opposite from last year. the A's can win this year, but they'll have to do it differently than they have in the past. ;-D
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby Y`s Guy » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:40 am

My Friendliness bar...recently shrunk from 11.3 to 10mm long!!
Y`s Guy
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 277)
Location: If you're reading this then there's a good chance that I'm with your girlfriend.

Return to Baseball Leftovers