Cafe Dynasty League Inaugural Draft - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Cafe Dynasty League Inaugural Draft

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cafe Dynasty League Inaugural Draft

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:19 am

Just drafted last night in the same league as JRM and DaQ (who also posted their teams in here). It's a 14 team H2H points league with a somewhat complicated contract system. Next to each player I listed the length of his contract and the year in which the contract is currently (e.g. 3 year contract in the 2nd year). I had the 7th pick of 14 in a snaking draft.

Starters
SP -- Roger CLEMENS- 3, 3
SP -- A.J. BURNETT- 3, 2
SP -- Jason MARQUIS - 1, 1
SP -- John THOMSON - 1, 1
RP -- Brad LIDGE - 4, 4
RP -- B.J. RYAN - 1, 1

C -- Miguel OLIVO - 1, 1
1B -- Frank THOMAS - 1, 1
2B -- Chase UTLEY - 2, 1
3B -- Aramis RAMIREZ - 4, 3
SS -- Khalil GREENE - 1, 1
OF -- Barry BONDS - 1, 1
OF -- Gary SHEFFIELD - 5, 5
OF -- J.D. DREW - 2, 2

Bench
SP -- Eric MILTON - 1, 1
SP -- Sidney PONSON - 1, 1
RP -- Scott LINEBRINK - 1, 1
RP -- Dan MEYER - 1, 1

C -- Yadier MOLINA - 1, 1
1B -- Ben BROUSSARD - 1, 1
2B -- Placido POLANCO - 1, 1
SS -- Jack WILSON - 1, 1
OF -- Jason LANE - 1, 1
OF -- Jayson WERTH - 1, 1
1B/OF -- Ryan KLESKO - 1, 1

Despite some of the posts you'll read later, I really like the pitching (starting and relief) as well as the outfield. The infield's bad right now because I took Thomas with bad information that he'd be starting the season. I had to spend a couple of rounds recovering from that gaffe, so now the plan is to platoon until he returns.

Once Thomas is back, the infield's good enough to stand up for the season. Thomas can produce, A-Ram is very good, and Utley can easily do a 20-HR/80 RBI season this year. Of course, with the age of the team, I may have to trade my good, young players (Utley, Meyer, or even Burnett :-o ) to try and win this year or next.

You can compare my team to JRM's team here or DaQ's team here. You can also view the whole league here. If you do check out the other team's, you'll see that each team has a weak spot somewhere in this deep 14-team league.

I'd like to thank JRM for opening paragraph.
Last edited by JTWood on Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

poor

Postby shmity72 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:42 am

i'm sry but i think your infield is real poor...i would boy....i don't know what i'd do if i had that team.....definately try to trade some dudes... :-o
matchups
shmity72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Re: poor

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:21 am

shmity72 wrote:i'm sry but i think your infield is real poor...i would boy....i don't know what i'd do if i had that team.....definately try to trade some dudes... :-o

Don't be sorry. Just remember that this is a points league and not a categorical league. Total team production is all that matters. In addition, remember that this is a 14-team league. Everyone's going to lack skill at some position in a league of that size.

I agree with you, though, and hopefully the Big Hurt will come back sooner than later and change things around for me. Plus, Utley could surprise and really produce this year. Doubt it, but hey... here's to hoping. I picked him up for the long-term, though, so I'm not too worried there.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:03 pm

Just saw this now and I'm on my way out for the night. I'll give you my opinion tomorrow though. Although I assume it's going to be a competitive team since you probably have a good understanding of the scoring system. Hell I was following your cheat sheets for my draft.

As for the concise rule explanation ... summaries are what I do. :*)

I'll get back to this awful ... er ... awesome team tomorrow. :-b But no I don't think it's anywhere near where that last poster put it.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby BritSox » Sat Mar 05, 2005 8:15 pm

Aren't you an SP short? Not a criticism, mebbe your league just works like that, but don't you need seven pitchers including RP's in most?

I have to assume you picked quite low, even given that and the high number of teams i don't like much except for the relievers. The outfield is above-average but still not good enough to carry the very weak infield.

Rate me!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=100561
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby JTWood » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:14 pm

BritSox wrote:Aren't you an SP short? Not a criticism, mebbe your league just works like that, but don't you need seven pitchers including RP's in most?

4 SPs and 2 RPs. I'm good there.

I updated the first post to be more encompassing and explaining of the quirks in the league.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby DaQ » Sat Mar 05, 2005 9:38 pm

Hey JT,

Your team isn't that bad and if the right pieces fit, you can make a run this year (more on that at the bottom of this post).

The Rocket still has one year left in him and he could be something close to last season this year. I also like your bullpen of Lidge and Ryan.

Your OF is good, even if 2/3 of them are juiced :-D Bonds is amazing, Sheff is still great and if JD does what he did last year, you're in business. Your infield isn't really that bad (except for 1B). Utley could become pretty good, Aramis is really good and Greene isn't too bad an option either.

*I sent you an E-Mail about how you can fix your 1B problem this year - it's just an idea. Just remember, Thomas is 36 and it will take time for him to come back.

Your team isn't too shabby though. Good luck!
DaQ
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JRM4833 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 12:40 pm

The more I look at the teams in our league, the more I think you have a good shot at the playoffs this year. You've got some good guys for this system and Bonds and Sheff may keep you in matches alone all season.

Personally I always try to get at least one top SP and I guess Clemens can still be mentioned as near the top, but I do think your SPs could use a little help. That's assuming your sleeper guys don't come through of course.

I think Lidge will be huge and put up a lot of points in this league. Ryan could end up being a very big surprise and is not a bad 2nd RP at all.

I think C is a weak spot, but we discussed that in the draft. I don't expect much out of Olivio but Molina may come through for you. Other than that your offense looks pretty good. Not a huge Big Hurt guy, but I think Utley is going to have a good season and potentially put up top 5 2B #s (I'm counting on it in my other main league). Aramis will continue to get better and you at least have him for another year. Greene is a good young SS but is a bit of a question mark. Your OF ... to summarize ... it's huge.

Your bench could be a bit deeper but I like guys like Milton and Ponson. Meyer is a good future pick. I also think Broussard could still turn out huge even though people are starting to get down on him.

Personally I think balance is huge in this league. Some of the predictions I've seen confused me a bit because of the rational behind them. But I see this team as one who could certainly contend this year. I think you may have to do some work to stay competitive in the future but I liked the Edwin Jackson pick in the minors draft. That's a good step.

I just noticed you don't have Bonds listed as your FP. Also, I was curious to see who you planned on giving your free extension to.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)

Postby RyanK » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:14 pm

I like your pitching staff alot more than mine.. but thats not hard to do.. I wouldnt mind trying to work a trade for AJ.

You infield does have alot of unknowns but could end up being very strong, your OF is already strong.

Bench Depth is pretty good too, I like ponson and milton. also wilson and klesko arent too shabby.

Overall i think youd beat my team
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team