Red Sox t-shirts - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Red Sox t-shirts

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:32 pm

I know there are the Jesus comparisons out there, but has anyone else noticed the resemblance between Johnny Damon and Che Guevara before now?

Here's one I tried to use in my sig but couldn't reduce the size without making it too small to really appreciate (I'm not sure if everyone knows Nantucket Nectars but it's a popular juice company started here in Nantucket, MA):

Oh, and I'm surprised to see discussion about locking this thread. Nothing wrong with having a little fun. Guess it just shows you the season is almost upon us.

General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pacman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 2:21 pm

blankman wrote:
But everything just reeks of an inferiority complex with the need to attempt to belittle the other side while saying nothing for themselves.

You don't see dumb things like this from such a large percentage of Yankee fans. Why? Because most Yankee fans are concerned with the Yankees.

All due respect here...

I hear ya about the shirts, Blank, and I agree that some of those slogans are far more clever than others...

However, as to the above quote of yours... don't "19-18", "Who's Your Daddy?" and "May the Curse Be With You" signs -- which basically WALLPAPERED the Yankee Stadium seating areas in the 2004 ALCS -- suggest that a significant number of Yankee fans are just as guilty of the transgressions you cite above for Sox fans?

Isn't "curse" talk and "Daddy" talk examples of Yankees fans being more concerned with the Red Sox than the Yankees, contrary to what you state above?

(not picking a fight here... only trying to make my point).

peace
Pacman
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:16 pm

blankman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Now those are funny!!! My old boss once told me that people should be able to laugh at themselves, something Yankee fans have never grasped.

What is there to laugh about when something makes no sense whatsoever? I mean I suppose I could laugh at the stupidity of the shirt in saying the opposite from reality. Jeter has been a near epitome of winning so the slogan doesn't make any sense. Maybe if they could come up with something witty and unjuvenile (unlike Yankees suck or A-Rod's gay) then it'd be funny. But everything just reeks of an inferiority complex with the need to attempt to belittle the other side while saying nothing for themselves.

You don't see dumb things like this from such a large percentage of Yankee fans. Why? Because most Yankee fans are concerned with the Yankees. And as these shirts demonstrate, Red Sox fans are often (not always) more concerned with the Yankees than they are with their own Red Sox.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out a reality lost on those who think its somehow "hardcore" to make shirts that make no sense like this.

I disagree 100%. This is just another case of Yankee fans trying to prove they are "better" than Red Sox fans IMHO. I've been bombarded my entire life by Yankee fans who were awful winners. And since we've won I have never returned the "favor." These are T-shirts created by some guy that wants to make money. Nothing more. Living in Boston, I've never seen anybody actually wearing them.

If Yankee fans are so much better than Red Sox fans then how come they're reacting the same way we have after finally losing one year? We dealt with 86 of them. Now many Sox fans handled it very poorly, but no more poorly than Yankee fans handled beating us every year or losing this one year. The fact is that losing sucks and it hard to deal with, especially when it involves 2 teams with this much history.

Would you think the shirts made more sense if they called A-Rod a cheater rather than Jeter? Because they obviously just went with what rhymed for the shirts. Should they apologize for living in a capitalist society? Everyone knows that Jeter has 4 rings. You should be satisfied simply in knowing that and not play into the sore loser game. For years and years I sat and took the relentless verbal beatings from my Yankee fan friends and was silently content in simply being a fan of such a historical classy team as the Red Sox who, while not having won a Series since 1918, in my book were always "winners." Sure some people looked down on me as foolish, but that's life.

Nothing personal but you seem awfully bitter here. And trust me, I know the feeling. But Boston is at a high point in sports (at least in my lifetime) and I am kind of sick of being told that I can't have just a little bit of fun with it. That's all it is ... a little ribbing in good fun.

You can believe what you want about Sox fans, but from someone who's actually lived here my entire life and has never been happy with the stupid Yankees Suck chant, you're exaggerating things quite a bit. I could say very similar things about the Yankees based on the ones that make asses out of themselves and, in doing so, make the rest look bad. But I understand not to judge a whole group based on the most outrageous members of the group.

And like the above poster said ... peace.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Sat Mar 05, 2005 3:29 pm

The one that says "Arod Slaps Balls" made me laugh until I had tears in my eyes.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby stomperrob » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:08 pm

blankman wrote:
stomperrob wrote:Now those are funny!!! My old boss once told me that people should be able to laugh at themselves, something Yankee fans have never grasped.

What is there to laugh about when something makes no sense whatsoever? I mean I suppose I could laugh at the stupidity of the shirt in saying the opposite from reality. Jeter has been a near epitome of winning so the slogan doesn't make any sense. Maybe if they could come up with something witty and unjuvenile (unlike Yankees suck or A-Rod's gay) then it'd be funny. But everything just reeks of an inferiority complex with the need to attempt to belittle the other side while saying nothing for themselves.

You don't see dumb things like this from such a large percentage of Yankee fans. Why? Because most Yankee fans are concerned with the Yankees. And as these shirts demonstrate, Red Sox fans are often (not always) more concerned with the Yankees than they are with their own Red Sox.

I'm not trying to be argumentative here, just pointing out a reality lost on those who think its somehow "hardcore" to make shirts that make no sense like this.

And thus you proved my point - the defence rests!
As others have stated so eloquently, Yankee fans are far from innocent in the war of words.
And I'll add a little self-deprecating humor just to show you how it's done and to just lighten things up - Hopefully the shirts are made very durable just in case they have to last another 86 years

Smile :-D It's really not all that serious in the grand scheme of things. If people are gonna be Yankee fans or Bo-Sox fans, they had better have a thick skin or a good sense of humor.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:47 pm

Who's being a sore loser? You guys are making things up. The slogan about Jeter makes no sense and thus is stupid. There's nothing else to it.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Mookie4ever » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:53 pm

blankman wrote:Who's being a sore loser? You guys are making things up. The slogan about Jeter makes no sense and thus is stupid. There's nothing else to it.

Yeah, the Jeter one was really funny :-D

The A-Rod one was the best though ;-D
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:03 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
blankman wrote:Who's being a sore loser? You guys are making things up. The slogan about Jeter makes no sense and thus is stupid. There's nothing else to it.

Yeah, the Jeter one was really funny :-D

The A-Rod one was the best though ;-D

The reply has nothing to do with my post
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby JRM4833 » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:04 pm

If you say so. You don't have to respond to my post if you don't want to I guess. But you seem way too pissed about a T-shirt that some guy made to get a few laughs and make a bit of money on.

General Manager
General Manager

Postby blankman » Sat Mar 05, 2005 5:08 pm

JRM4833 wrote:

If you say so. You don't have to respond to my post if you don't want to I guess. But you seem way too pissed about a T-shirt that some guy made to get a few laughs and make a bit of money on.

I'm not pissed about it. I just think its dumb because it doesn't make sense.
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk