Adam Dunn, how good will he be next year? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Adam Dunn, how good will he be next year?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Adam Dunn, how good will he be next year?

Postby Canuck » Mon Nov 18, 2002 7:54 pm

How good will Adam Dunn be next Year? How about Damien Moss?
Canuck

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:29 pm

Hi Canuck,

Dunn has great upside, and I think he'll bounce back somewhat next season. It may take some time for him to reach his full potential, though - he's still pretty young and is still learning.

I'm not very high on Moss right now. I know, I know - his numbers were quite solid. Until he improves his k/bb ratio, however, he'll be risky...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby canuck » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:52 pm

what about Alomar?
canuck

Postby Arlo » Mon Nov 18, 2002 8:58 pm

Hmm... Assuming you're asking about Roberto, I'd say a lot depends on the lineup surrounding him, which is too early to call at this point. I do expect him to bounce back a little - a repeat of his awful April would be surprising - but his best days are behind him now...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Adam Dunn

Postby Decack » Mon Dec 23, 2002 6:15 am

I really like Adam Dunn, I'm hoping to draft him and put him (as far as value, not necessarily where I'd draft him) in the area of Jim Edmonds, Larry Walker and Andruw Jones. This is a guy who could be in the running for the home run crown next season and beyond. Of course a lot of people 'could', I just think he's got a ton of upside.
Keep in mind, I play in sportsline scoring systems not 5x5 so home runs are big time to me.
Decack
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Kendarsin » Mon Dec 30, 2002 5:42 am

Anytime a 22 year old bats .249 but still manages a .400 obp you know hes going to be special somewhere down the road. Griffey and Kearns will both put up better numbers next year and that too will probably help Dunn. Hes pretty much untouchable in the keeper league I play in even after his disappointing year.
Kendarsin
T-Ball Trainer

Adam Dunn, draft or pass?

Postby JDD » Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:28 pm

Watch Dunn in spring training, and watch the media reports... if he is making more contact, draft him.

If your league deducts points for strikeouts, do the math and see if he is worth a high pick.

--JDD
JDD

Postby scottdg » Thu Jan 02, 2003 11:53 am

From what I have seen Dunn reminds me a lot of Pat Burrell and he is right where Burrell was in his development. The power numbers over the first two seasons are almost identical:

Burrell - 18, 27
Dunn - 19, 26

Both strike out a lot but I would expect Dunn to bounce back with a good season. It would help to have a little more protection in the lineup. I know he will be one of the first guys I pick this year.
scottdg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Arlo » Thu Jan 02, 2003 12:06 pm

Good comparison! The one thing that worries me a bit about Dunn is his rising k/bb ratio. If he can lower that mark slightly (and I believe he will), he could be very, very good...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scottdg » Thu Jan 02, 2003 1:16 pm

Arlo wrote:Good comparison! The one thing that worries me a bit about Dunn is his rising k/bb ratio. If he can lower that mark slightly (and I believe he will), he could be very, very good...

This is another area the two are very similar. I think it is easy for teams to find holes in swings of players like Burrell/Dunn. It took almost a year for them to find it in Dunn's swing. Now he has to make the adjustment like Burrell was able to do last season.

Both players are going to strike out a lot regardless.
scottdg
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Baseball Leftovers