Yahoo Winners league draft- how did I do - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Yahoo Winners league draft- how did I do

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yahoo Winners league draft- how did I do

Postby sphinx80 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:39 am

Ok so I won my first league last year and now I get to do a Yahoo Winners league. I think my draft turned out pretty good (I had first pick). Please let me know what you think? I have heard some reservations about my pitching
Standard 5X5 roto

Batters:
C. Piazza
1B. Pujos
2B. Durham
3B. Wright
SS. Young
OF. Lee
OF. Ordonez
OF. Bradley
Util. Kearns

BN. Cameron
BN. Koskie
BN. Lu Gonzalez

Pitching:
SP. Schiling
SP. Harden
RP. Gagne
RP. Percival
P. Affeldt
P. Maddux
P. L. Hernandez

BN. Wells
BN. Eaton
sphinx80
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:47 am

nice team. My three biggest concerns might be 1) getting some kind of backup C depending on what's left as it may be better to pick the cream of that thin crop up front and anticipate Piazza having issues. Great player for sure but none of the teams that have picked him have done well in our league for the last couple of years. I steered clear of him myself but he might still prove suprising. 2) Durham. If he trends downward, he will be non productive and you might do better scoringwise getting a younger quicker 2B who could at least put up some SB while not hitting for you. 3) Ordonez could go either way.
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby sphinx80 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 11:55 am

Thanks for the input. I was thinking about the whole Piazza thing. I do not really like him that much either, but I was in a tough spot as he was the only decent one left and it was him or nothing basically.
as far as 2B, Durham was litterally my last pick in the draft. I don't really know who is left thats better. I think Durham at least has a decent upside that the others are lacking. If he is injured or sucks, then I will have to pick up someone else. If I held 2 2B's now, who would you drop

Thanks again!!

~ Josh
sphinx80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby chris8 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:19 pm

Who is on the WW for the C and 2B positions?

Your pitching is absolutely fine, only concern is Percival staying healthy, so you will need to keep an eye on emerging closers during the season.
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 103)

Postby sphinx80 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:35 pm

C: A. Pierzynski, Inge, Molina, LaRue, Johnson, Miller, Lecroy, Olivo, Greene,

2B: Polanco, Bellhorn, Alfonzo, Kennedy, Wigginton, Hudson, Walker, Ginter, Infante, Cintron, Rivas,

Its a 12 team league so I guess its slim pickings, but let me know what you think. Inge is not horible as he will play a lot of games especially for a catcher

Thanks guys
sphinx80
College Coach
College Coach

Postby xeifrank » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:49 pm

I think your team is pretty solid. I would be a bit worried about starting Bradley and Kearns, other than that I probably wouldn't tinker too much until the season starts. Both have potential, but would rather see them coming off the bench as you do not want to have to rely on these guys. If Luis Gonzo is a nice bench option. Cameron always has 5 tool potential if he could just hit for average. Schilling, Harden, Maddux, L.Hernandez will be fine, and your closers are top notch with Gagne leading the charge.

Good luck!

Xeifrank
Author of: 2013 Mock Draft Software
Author of: Dodger Sims
Author of: The Sober Angels
Author of: Xei On Sports
xeifrank
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby AcidRock23 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:01 pm

Out of those, I'd look for Pierzynski to be the best. I had him down as a quasi sleeper as he should get more jacks at Cellular One field and should rebound a bit w/o as many of the odd issues that appeared in SF. Maybe dump L Gonzalez to grab him for a backup?
AcidRock23
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye

Postby Niffoc4 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:08 pm

I agree with getting Pierzynski to back-up, but I don't think I would punt Gonzo for him, since I think by halfway through the season you will probably have him starting with either Bradley hurt or slumping or Kearns hurt. I would think about dropping either Cameron (may be hurt for start of season, and that BA will KILL you) or Koskie (you shouldn't need him with David Wright at 3B)

On 2B, I think you may need some speed, since Bradley is your fastest player and he got like 15 steals last year...With that in mind I would look at Polanco, but I am afraid he won't get the PT you need. I would probably look to trade for a Chone Figgins instead, because w/o a speedy option you could find yourself really hurting for steals. Luckily guys like Dave Roberts (whose main stat is SB) inevitably find their way to the WW...

Overall, good team... I like the pitching, and after Wells gets hurt for the first time i would get a bad closer or closer-in-waiting, because if he pitches well he will quickly be in demand.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby sphinx80 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:19 pm

Great Thanks everyone for all their input

Any other opinions are greatly appreciated.

so is the majority opinion to take a backup catcher now before Piazza gets hurt or does bad? (I guess to protect myself from someone else grabbing him before I do)

I realize the weakness at SB's but that is why I have difficulty droping Cameron. He may start the season hurt, but he could have a nice impact on my team. That being said people are really down on Durham this year huh

Thanks again
sphinx80
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team