A black day for Canada - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

A black day for Canada

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

A black day for Canada

Postby stomperrob » Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:49 am

On Thursday, 4 RCMP officers were shot and killed while checking out a marijuana grow-op on an acreage northwest of Edmonton - the lone gunman ambushed the officers and shot them with a high powered rifle. All 4 officers were fairly junior with 3 years or less on the job. The gunman then shot himself and died.
This is the worst loss of live at one time for Canadian police in 120 years, since the 1885 Riel Rebellion.
I don't know what it's like in the U.S., but these grow-ops are way outta control up here, not just in rural locations but also in homes in cities and towns. In Calgary, there's estimated to be up 700 grow-ops active in the city and there's nowhere near enough police to handle that many. Most of the urban ones are in large expensive homes - the one good policy the police are using is that any time they bust a grow-op, they bring in a city building inspector and have the house condemned due to the prescence of mold because of the high humidity involved in the grow-ops - so rather than spend months in court trying to convince a judge the home should be seized under proceeds of crime legislation, the house is simply ordered destroyed with the quick stroke of a pen.
My heart goes out to the families of these 4 brave officers.
:,-( :,-( :,-( :,-(
Last edited by stomperrob on Fri Mar 04, 2005 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 04, 2005 5:45 am

Sadly there are grow ops absolutely everywhere up here. My best friend's neighbour across the street got busted big time, and he watched as they carted garbage bags full of drugs out of the house. New development and everything, built less than a year ago. Just down a couple blocks from there on my cousin's street, a crack house got busted, and I forget how much drugs they had in there, but it was pretty substancial.

And my uncle is actually a police officer out west - in Calgary - so I hear some stories as well. Luckily he hasn't been in many bad situations out there, but ya never know. Edmonton is only a small drive away from Calgary. And I'm sure everywhere out west has as much or more drug activity than here in Ontario.

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Biohazard » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:34 pm

Damn, that sucks. :~(
Biohazard Beginner
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 04, 2005 2:46 pm

Yeah, that's tragic.

These grow houses are a big problem.

Crazy story but I have a friend who is a cop in Toronto but he lives near Barrie. He had one of the biggest ones just down the street from him. He drove past it everyday and never knew about it. They used to be able to bust them by monitoring abnormal electricity usage. The crooks have gotten wise and are now using their own generators.

My parents live on a pretty big piece of land near Mansfield. Last year they were out on a walk and came across a whole bunch of pot plants in a clearing. The RCMP staked my parents place out for the summer (well not full time anyways) and my parents were not allowed to tell us about it until afterwards. I freaked out when they told me but my folks weren't scared at all (crazy old farts). They never caught the people that planted them so the RCMP finally just dug them up.

Crazy.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby LBJackal » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:17 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:Yeah, that's tragic.

Crazy story but I have a friend who is a cop in Toronto but he lives near Barrie. He had one of the biggest ones just down the street from him. He drove past it everyday and never knew about it. They used to be able to bust them by monitoring abnormal electricity usage. The crooks have gotten wise and are now using their own generators.

My parents live on a pretty big piece of land near Mansfield. Last year they were out on a walk and came across a whole bunch of pot plants in a clearing. The RCMP staked my parents place out for the summer (well not full time anyways) and my parents were not allowed to tell us about it until afterwards. I freaked out when they told me but my folks weren't scared at all (crazy old farts). They never caught the people that planted them so the RCMP finally just dug them up.

Crazy.

Wow that's weird. Maybe your parents aren't telling you something though :-?

Also, is that the same Mansfield where they ahve a ski hill? If so, I've been there a few times... and I want my plants back :-°

"Jack, will you call me, if you're able?"

"I've got your phone number written, in the back of my Bible."
LBJackal
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Mookie4ever » Fri Mar 04, 2005 3:48 pm

LBJackal wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:Yeah, that's tragic.

Crazy.

Wow that's weird. Maybe your parents aren't telling you something though :-?

Also, is that the same Mansfield where they ahve a ski hill? If so, I've been there a few times... and I want my plants back :-°

Yeah, same place. When they retired a few years ago they moved up there for good.

The funny thing is that my Dad had no idea what they were, it was my mom who knew what they were and called the cops.

You figure that they could have saved a few for me right?
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 280)

Postby acsguitar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:30 pm

I don't see whats wrong with grow houses as long as pot is the only thing they are growing

but its a shame when its grown by crazy wackos who shoot people
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Madison » Fri Mar 04, 2005 8:33 pm

The 4 police officers being shot is common in the states unfortunately. :,-(

Pot growing really isn't that common down here. At least not in the scale that you guys have.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby stomperrob » Sat Mar 05, 2005 12:12 am

Madison wrote:The 4 police officers being shot is common in the states unfortunately. :,-(

Pot growing really isn't that common down here. At least not in the scale that you guys have.

Yeh, it's sure popular up here for some reason - apparently it's high quality stuff and is real popular in the U.S. so we often send it south in exchange for cocaine. Also rising rapidly in popularity is crystal meth labs in people's homes.
Still holds the MLB record for Grand Slams with 23
stomperrob
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Football ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Home Cafe: Football

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:29 am

stomperrob wrote: Also rising rapidly in popularity is crystal meth labs in people's homes.

That is what is getting bad around here....and the scary thing is...you can never tell which house that it is in.... :-o

Sad day for those policemens families.... :,-(
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk