HELP! major league controversy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HELP! major league controversy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bleach168 » Fri May 02, 2003 12:07 am

tjhksig,

You THINK you got the better end of that deal? hehehe ;-)
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DGroundhog » Fri May 02, 2003 12:30 am

Waaaaaaah!

Get over it.

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Guest » Fri May 02, 2003 12:42 am

I can't stand people who have itchy trigger fingers when it comes to vetoing trades. I had a trade of Adam Dunn for Carlos Beltran get vetoed earlier. Even though I felt I was getting the better end with Beltran, I didn't think it was so lopsided that it was worthy of a veto.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby drunkenmonkey » Fri May 02, 2003 12:54 am

A trade just went through in my league -- Miguel Tejada for Glavine. I consider it a bad trade for the guy who got Glavine, but that is my opinion. It is a private league and I'm the commish and I allowed it. I think Tejada will rebound and have a better season than Glavine, but if he doesn't, the other guy gets the better deal. Most trades can be seen as fair if looked at from different angles. I traded RJohnson for David Wells in one of my leagues and people thought I was crazy (you probably do too), but the way I see it, I'm getting a currently healthy top twenty pitcher for a number one pitcher with too many question marks. Only time will tell if it was good or bad, but such is the nature of any trade. Let 'em be (unless it's Zito, ARod, Ordonez for Mike Marath in which case something fishy just might be going on).
It's time to roll the dice.
drunkenmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby Madison » Fri May 02, 2003 2:49 am

It should not be vetoed. Good power and RBI, for good speed and saves. Good trade.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby yankee_cafe » Fri May 02, 2003 7:42 am

The commish in my league has one simple rule ...

Trades will be vetoed if there is proof of colusion ... stupidity cannot be mistaken as collusion.

It really isn't that lopsided if the other guy was desparate for saves and some stolen bases.
Can we build it?
yankee_cafe
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Amnorix » Fri May 02, 2003 8:20 am

Repeating the statements of all of the above -- yeah, you're probably getting the better end of the deal, but Castillo and Oogie could give the other guy 40 steals and 40 saves, respectively, so it could work out.

The main thing here, though, is that (1) there's no collusion, and (2) you're not tooling on some total rookie who has no clue what he's doing. Even if he is a rookie -- if he says he researched it and it's what he wants to do, that's fine.

Agree with other posters -- blocking trades should be used VERY rarely. In one league I'm in some twit just traded Mike McDougall for Mike Sweeney. I posted something to the board pointing out that probably wasn't the best trade in the world, but I'm sure the guy will learn that for himself over time. Either that or he'll remain a lousy fantasy baseball player. :-)
Amnorix

----------------------------------
"You can observe a lot just by watching."

--Yogi Berra
Amnorix
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Fri May 02, 2003 3:45 pm

Believe it or not, I just decided to cancel the trade.

People were really upset, and I like to promote goodwill in the league, so I decided to ask the guy if he'd rather have Wagner. I still felt I was winning the trade handily, but it was closer.

He replied stating that he wanted Urbina. He also said, "Urbina did real well playing for the Expos last year. Now he's on a better team, so he should have more save opportunities and only get better."

Christ. I just can't live with myself knowing that this guy was doing something that bone headed. He won the freakin' league last year! Now I know it was all just luck. My guilt has forced me to cancel the trade and to tell the facts about how he should think about a trade in the future.
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rotisseriking » Fri May 02, 2003 3:50 pm

Madison wrote:It should not be vetoed. Good power and RBI, for good speed and saves. Good trade.

Absolutely agree here. Why are people so fast to whine about trades? That's why I like my league with only friends who have played for 5 years. Not once has a trade been vetoed even though more than a couple times there were some lopsided deals. Vetoes should only happen when collusion is obvious, not the case here.
rotisseriking
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flojoflojo » Fri May 02, 2003 4:15 pm

Getting D. Wells for RJohnson is a great deal. Good job trading. I would definitely do a trade like that. Dumb people in my league would still protest though. One guy has protested every trade so far.
flojoflojo
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers