HELP! major league controversy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HELP! major league controversy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HELP! major league controversy

Postby timkell » Thu May 01, 2003 8:49 pm

Guys. I just executed a trade. I got Jeff Kent. I traded Luis Castillo and Ugueth Urbina for him.

Everyone in the league knows that this deal was made on the up and up. No collusion. Nothing. Both guys in the trade have already posted to the board that they researched and they wanted to do the trade. They also know that he offered me the deal! He wanted Castillo and Urbina.

Everyone thinks the other guy is getting screwed and they want to block the trade. I think this is total BS. Sure, I think I'm getting the better of this deal. The other guy does too. I'm pretty sure I'm right, but that's beside the point.

It's getting pretty heated. What do you all think? Is this deal so patently one sided that it should be blocked?

Be honest with me. If it is really blatantly unfair, I may be swayed to agree to let it slide, but I don't think it is.

For more info, I also have Wagner and Gagne as closers, and this is a ten team MLB points league. I would have upped it to Wagner, but he offered the deal to me! Why should I? We've also agreed to basically be a hands off type league. In the preseason, we let a trade slip through that was basically Helton and Contreras for Mulder
and Sexson. I thought that was a bit lopsided, but I let it through. I don't see the difference here, and I think the other was even more lopsided.

Thoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Tim
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby colts4653 » Thu May 01, 2003 8:53 pm

NO. I'm tired of all these leagues getting angry that they didn't get to screw the stupid kid first. Yes, you're getting the better end of the deal. And vetos shoud only be used if collusion is obvious, and it isn't here evidently. Just because something is lopsided doesn't mean it should be vetoed. Maybe everyone else in your league should have tried to get Jeff Kent a little harder. Good work on the trade, and tell everyone else to get a life.
I looted Baghdad and all I got was this lousy T-shirt.
colts4653
College Coach
College Coach

Postby titanut » Thu May 01, 2003 8:56 pm

Who knows, I think you got the best of the trade, but if the other
owner needs saves, and sbs, it is close. It sure is not so lopsided that
it should be vetoed.
titanut
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:15 pm

Although I believe 2 for 1 trades are usually lopsided, this one is not THAT lopsided. If the teams are getting what they need, it's a fair deal.

Do have one comment in reply to,

I'm tired of all these leagues getting angry that they didn't get to screw the stupid kid first.

The reason people get angry is because they don't like playing "let's see who can screw over the stupid, impatient noobs first" type leagues. Those leagues are no challenge and no fun.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby colts4653 » Thu May 01, 2003 9:22 pm

I was being humorous. Had you been reading a lot of the veto related posts around here recently, you would have seen that too many people in leagues veto trades simply because THEY weren't the ones to get the good trade. Obviously, I wasn't talking about finding the kid that would trade Barry Bonds for Carl Crawford because of Crawford's good start. I'm talking about trades like this, that obviously seem to fill needs for both teams, and are by no means vetoable since both teams obviously did their homework and let the league know what they were doing ahead of time. The problem is that sometimes people in leagues wish they would have gotten this deal first, and simply want a veto because they didn't get it. I was being slightly sarcastic with my comment. That evidently didn't work. I am aware that the Barry Bond example trade type of league is not any fun, and I don't participate in those type of leagues for a reason. Thanks for trying to bring that to my attention though.
colts4653
College Coach
College Coach

Postby timkell » Thu May 01, 2003 9:29 pm

Thanks, guys. Keep 'em comin'. Does anyone disagree?
timkell
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ondeckb » Thu May 01, 2003 10:30 pm

I'm just sick of the weinies whining about trades. Unless there's obvious collusion...let em be. We're all big boys.
"Ninety feet between bases is the closest man has ever come to perfection"
ondeckb
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bleach168 » Thu May 01, 2003 10:44 pm

My apologies, Colts. I'm glad we agree.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby colts4653 » Thu May 01, 2003 11:03 pm

Yah, definitely. I'm in a league where there are 5 of us who are almost even, it's great. Bragging rights amongst friends are the main joy of these things!!!!! ;-D
colts4653
College Coach
College Coach

Postby tjhksig » Thu May 01, 2003 11:51 pm

I think it's one of those, wish-it-was-me cases, where pricks veto out of jealousy. I'm in 4 leagues and most are cool, but in one guys are jerks because they aren't the ones involved. I just got Kent, Schmidt, and Damon for Biggio, Colon, and Millar, and the only way I got it through was because I made the trade at the beginning of the week, when most guys aren't actively checking the site like on weekends. Do I think the deal was fair? I think I got a better deal, but the guy really wanted Colon and had excess speed to trade, so I think I got lucky. Point is, I think the trade is fair b/c he's getting speed and saves, which you had an excess of.
tjhksig
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers