Who should I take number 1? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who should I take number 1?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:25 pm

SHOCKandAWE wrote:How about Andy Van Slyke?

Good article. Funny stuff...I always liked Andy Van Slyke, now I like him even more. :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:41 am

Lofunzo wrote:I don't see how 1 extra cat vaults Bonds up to the #1 overall pick. I would still go with Pujols.

Because Pujols' 20 RBI advantage is nowhere near as valuable as Bonds' .100+ OBP advantage. In every other category they are extremely comparable.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:45 am

Tavish wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:I don't see how 1 extra cat vaults Bonds up to the #1 overall pick. I would still go with Pujols.

Because Pujols' 20 RBI advantage is nowhere near as valuable as Bonds' .100+ OBP advantage. In every other category they are extremely comparable.

That's cool. I just disagree about the amount that it changes his value.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Secret Avatar » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:45 am

In an OPS league Bonds is your man. Not even close, IMO. The only reason for pause is Bond's knee problems. But then again, Pujols has issues with his foot.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby curious_george_43545 » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:50 am

DannyMyron89 wrote:idk why people ask this stupid question....

the man had a 600 OBP!!! i guess very few people now how unhuman and ridiculious that is. if you have a 420 OBP your among the leaders in your league, he had a 600!!! throw in a 360 average and 40 plus homers and moises hitting with him, i would take the gamble on his injury cause teams r gonna pitch to him more so loook out forMORE homers if hes healthy, but this in a 6x6 league, i dont touch him in a 5x5...

of course i hate the guy and i refuse to mention his name...

Danny is 100% correct...and by the way I hate Bonds also, and refuse to mention his name ;-D
curious_george_43545
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tavish » Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:57 am

Lofunzo wrote:
Tavish wrote:

That's cool. I just disagree about the amount that it changes his value.

I don't think it really changes his value all that much, but then again I think Bonds is very much underrated in fantasy leagues because of the "low" RBI total. I would take him at #5 in a heartbeat in a 5X5 league, when you add in a category that he completely dominates like OBP to the mix (especially in a H2H league where he wins points by himself some weeks) he has enough value to be right there at #1. Its not a slam-dunk #1 by any means though.

3-year average
<pre>
R HR RBI SB BA OBP
Bonds 119 45 100 7 0.357 0.571
Pujols 129 41 124 4 0.334 0.412

</pre>
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers