Sell-high with Michael Young? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Sell-high with Michael Young?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Thu May 06, 2004 9:37 pm

Sorry man, but this is not the last two year, things change, and for you to say he won't hit 300, lol I have no clue where you came up with that.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby RynMan » Thu May 06, 2004 9:38 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:
GucciBaseballs wrote:
shortround_phat2008 wrote:Well now that he mentions it, I agree with him. Get rid of Tejada and make room for Young, Young is going to have a way better year than Tejada and he will be selling high the whole year just watch, he might get in sum slumps, but he will bust out of them.

This is just not true. Tejeda will have better numbers across the board. Young has struck out more than 100 times the last two years, which leads me to believe he will not be batting 300 for long. You need to put the ball in play to gets hits.

I just traded him for Jeter and couldn't be happier. :-D

why not, he batted .300 last year. Oh btw, you made a mistake in getting jeter. Jeter=most overrated player in Fantasy baseball. I still think Tejada will have better numbers, but Jeter WILL NOT. Everyone of you can call me on this, but imo young is gonna be one of the elite shortstops next year.

yeah i agree. i think young will go higher in drafts next then jeter, and probably even tejada. He will be the American League's Renteria....offensively anyway.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby thetongueofire » Thu May 06, 2004 10:39 pm

im pretty sure that Young won't go higher than Tejada next year... but you def gotta like the ballpark and the linup he plays in. he doesn't quite have the speed that people expect from him i think tho... he stole 13 last year in 160 games. the most you can reasonably expect is somethin like 20. id also look to trade him away high if you have a decent enough replacement and can get a good trade to go through. theres is a lil bit more depth at 2B at this point in the season than most of us had expected.
[size=10]Manny Ramirez....$20 million
Pedro Martinez....$17.5 million
Curt Schilling...$12 million (and a $2 million bonus)
Never hearing a Yankee fan chant 1918 again...priceless. [/size]
thetongueofire
General Manager
General Manager

Postby shortround_phat2008 » Thu May 06, 2004 10:44 pm

These are the numbers he's projected to get as of right now PROJECTED G AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO SB CS BA OBP SLG OPS 162 706 156 266 46 17 29 127 52 81 17 6 .377 .417 .615 1.031

I wish he could get those numbers, even know I know it's going to be impossible, I do think he will get 20 or more stolen bases this year, because the Rangers really are running this year and will keep it up.
shortround_phat2008
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Spokes » Fri May 07, 2004 2:10 am

How did I get such a stacked infield? I am in a 9 team league. I took Soriano 3rd overall and then Tejada at #16, which I thought was a definate steal. I got Young in the 22nd round. And, I think he's paid some sweet dividends for a 22nd-round pick!
The best lyric ever: "You shouldn't throw stones if you live in a glass house and if you gotta glass jaw you should watch your mouth...'cause I'll break yo face."
Spokes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby GucciBaseballs » Fri May 07, 2004 8:20 am

You guys don't seem to understand the concept of buy low sell high.

Young's fast start and Jeter's slump have deceiced you guys.

At best Young will go 20-20 with a 305 avg this year. And i repeat at best. Jeter's career averages are 17 hrs, 24 sb, 314 avg, 81 RBI and 122 runs.

Jeter will probably hit 20+ hrs this year. Young may hit more but I would say whoever has the advantage here it is only slight. Sb definetly go to Jeter this year. He average almost 25 per year, and it is unlikely Young who has never had more than 13 surpasses 20 this year. Additionally,Jeter's career SB percentage is 79%, 10% hgiher than Young. Young's career average is 286 and Jeter's is 317. I don't really think there is too much argument here. Maybe Young's avg does spike 10 points this year, but Jeter's probably will too because of yankee lineup. RBI's is hard to predict but Jeter has averaged 11 more per season in his career than Young. Jeter bats 2nd not first which should present more RBI oppurtunity. Additionally, even if Texas keeps this hitting up the Yankees offense is better which makes for more oppurtunites. And Jeter has averaged 122 runs his career. He has a clear advantage here over Young. And this year A-rod, Giambi and Sheff are behind him, I would say he has a good chance to get knocked in when he gets on base.

Basically, for Young to get at a level anywhere near where Jeter has been consistently playing he would need spikes in nearly every category. Maybe he does have a breakthrough or career year, but at best this only puts him near where Jeter performs every year. Plus, if Jeter has a great year which is highly likely because he wants to prove he is the Yankee SS, or because of the bats behind him then there is no way Young will come anywhere near Jeter. 25-25 with a 315 avg, 120 runs and 75 rbis is not out of the question for Jeter. For Young to achieve that he would to almost double his career avg SB and HR total.

You will probably say that I am going too much on past career, but what are the chances based on the past that Young spikes in every category and outperforms Jeter? I don't know about you but I will take the 14 years of Jeter and Youngs combined careers than 1 month of the 2004 campaign. B-)
"I am ready to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter."
- Sir Winston Churchill
GucciBaseballs
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby WharfRat » Fri May 07, 2004 9:12 am

Young's improved drastically in a short amount of time. His average has gone from 249 to 262 to 306 the last three years. He turns 28 in October, so he's just hitting his prime. Why can't he improve on last year?? If you're going on past career, you can't deny the improvements to his game.

Jeter is a solid player--a lot of people overrate the guy, but I think he's also underrated by others. He's not Nomar and he's not Tejada, but he IS a solid addition to any team. But, simply put, his game has at least APPEARED to be in decline. Blame it on injuries, I'll buy that--but I need to see him back in his .342 form first.

And that strikeout comment made me laugh. Lots of guys strike out 100 times and they still put up average and OBP to make any owner happy.
1 3 4 6 7 8 8 9 10 15 16 23 32 37 42 44 49 51

8.14.07: "I guess heaven needed a shortstop."
WharfRat
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby RynMan » Fri May 07, 2004 9:14 am

eh....i still like young. i believe in a great year from him.
and im pretty sure i understand the buy low sell high concept....i just see young as being high this year.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby avc234 » Fri May 07, 2004 11:20 am

I think after Wednesday's game, young is as hot as he's going to get. I'm thinking about trading him. Problem is, i don't really know how to value you him. I drafted him in the 8th round of my league. Would it be fair to say that his value is on par with a decent 4th round selection?
avc234
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby slomo007 » Fri May 07, 2004 11:29 am

Maybe 5th to 6th round is more likely. Possibly a struggling 3rd rounder like Huff would be tempting though, at least for me anyways.
slomo007
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle Eye

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers