Will Miguel Cabrera be a baby about it? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will Miguel Cabrera be a baby about it?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Will Miguel Cabrera be a baby about it?

Postby The Jury » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:48 pm

His situation this year will be comparable to Vlad during his Montreal days when he had little protection in the lineup. Vlad definitely produced, and became one of the top fantasy players in the game, but what will we see from M-Cabby?

Will he be a baby about not seeing as many good pitches?
Will the lineup have no effect on how he is pitched to?
Will he develop into a more selective hitter?

He is very young and what you don't want to happen is have him get discouraged and sulk about it and not have him perform as he has the last 2 years.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby beltrans_boy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 3:54 pm

No.
Yes.
Yes.

Cabrera is going to have similar value in 2006 as he did in 2005. He has decent protection in the lineup (even though they are young players), and lineup protection as it relates to player production is a myth. Don't worry about Cabrera. Draft him with confidence in the top 12. Hermida and Jacobs (who should be hitting before and after Cabrera) are major league-caliber hitters. There might be some rough growing pains for the team, but Cabrera will produce. He's a special kind of hitter that only comes around a couple of times every generation. He's got the talent, he'll be fine.

;-D
[size=10]"Men are apt to mistake the strength of their feeling for the strength of their argument." [/size]
beltrans_boy
General Manager
General Manager

Postby BronXBombers51 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:08 pm

I hope bb is right. I need M-Cab to produce this year.. :-o
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 58)

Postby Ragoczy » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:09 pm

He may strike out more and walk less because he might feel more pressure to produce, but his other fantasy numbers should be similar. Being young will help him--it's not like he's an aging guy who has been on a losing team forever.
We're only immortal for a limited time
Ragoczy
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:13 pm

Ragoczy wrote:Being young will help him--it's not like he's an aging guy who has been on a losing team forever.

I actually think being on this type of team will help him develop into a strong leader.

He may press, but I think he'll be just fine.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby williesd » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:22 pm

The Marlins lineup might actually be better this year. Delgado,Lowell
Pierre, LaDuca and Castillo all had down years last year. Maybe the young guys will show some spark like the Braves did last year. I'm looking forward to seeing Hermida,Jacobs and Willingham this year.
The bullpen will probably hurt that team the most.
williesd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:27 pm

He's on an team that treats it's players like whores, who just paid him an insulting amount of money whether arbitration principles apply or not and he had attitude issues last year, specifically towards the end of the season ( link, link ) and it showed in his production, link

I believe there is reasonable risk in Cabrera’s quality of play being affected by his environment and reaction to it. Wow he would have had a great season if he didn't fall off in August, Sept and Oct. I'm planning taking MCab in the first if possible, I hope that kind of production doesn't carry over.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Grouperman941 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:58 pm

nuggets wrote:He's on an team that treats it's players like whores, who just paid him an insulting amount of money whether arbitration principles apply or not and he had attitude issues last year, specifically towards the end of the season ( link, link ) and it showed in his production, link

I believe there is reasonable risk in Cabrera’s quality of play being affected by his environment and reaction to it. Wow he would have had a great season if he didn't fall off in August, Sept and Oct. I'm planning taking MCab in the first if possible, I hope that kind of production doesn't carry over.

I sort of agree, but his falloff wasn't so much because of his attitude, but because of the whole team's attitude. Instead af making a run into the playoffs, they fell apart and started pointing fingers. McKeon couldn't handle that stuff and a lot of not nice things were happening.

There is a lot of pressure on the new manager to keep this young team together and focused. I think he should catch a few times a week, too.
Be excellent to each other.
Grouperman941
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby nuggets » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:24 pm

^

If you read the article, it states that only AJ had a bad attitude as well and that the Vets opinion of Caberea dropped significantly based on his actions effecting the team. Do you have evidence showing the 'whole' team having a bad attitude?

Cabrera's attitude has cost him respect in the clubhouse, some Marlins players told the Post. Marlins veteran Jeff Conine told the newspaper that a player should have a heart to heart with Cabrera.

Cabrera isn't in the mood for a lecture, however.

"[Forget] the veterans," he told the Post. "They haven't told me anything and they better not come tell me anything, either.

You can't tell me Jeff Conine doesn't deserve respect and that he tanked toward the end of the year due to attitue. He actually hit .326 and .318 in August and Sept. Delgado had a great Sept, Pierre finally came back to earth (.287 post AS ), D-Train was awesome post AS, Beckett had a great Sept.

Cabrera is going to play catcher?
Last edited by nuggets on Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nuggets
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tommy John » Mon Mar 06, 2006 5:30 pm

In response to his strikeout numbers, I think that he may see an increase in walks because of the fact that there will be situations where the opposition will rather take a chance on Jacobs than pitch to him. I think that his ratio may improve because of it.
Tommy John
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers