The 07 D-Rays - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The 07 D-Rays

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The 07 D-Rays

Postby Drunken Rhino » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:28 pm

Does anyone else think that with the right moves that team could be one of the best offensive teams in history?

Gomes (1B, conjecture)
Cantu 2B
Lugo SS
Upton 3B
Crawford LF
Baldelli CF
Gathright RF
D. Young DH
Crash Davis C (ok, so maybe that type of guy that will work well w/ young pitchers.)

I'm telling you watch out for the 07 and 08 Rays.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The 07 D-Rays

Postby baseball6791 » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:43 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Does anyone else think that with the right moves that team could be one of the best offensive teams in history?

Gomes (1B, conjecture)
Cantu 2B
Lugo SS
Upton 3B
Crawford LF
Baldelli CF
Gathright RF
D. Young DH
Crash Davis C (ok, so maybe that type of guy that will work well w/ young pitchers.)

I think that we've discussed this in previous threads before, but the D-Rays have tons of great young talent and if their ownership would ever put any money into them then they could be a very solid team for years to come.

[size=18]

[url=http://baseball6791.deviantart.com/]My DeviantArt[/url][/size]
baseball6791
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics ExpertMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Sultans of Squat » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:51 pm

Drunken Rhino wrote:Does anyone else think that with the right moves that team could be one of the best offensive teams in history?

Nope. Not unless most of those guys learn to take some walks first, and that organization just doesn't seem to care about that aspect of the game, so I highly doubt it.
Sultans of Squat
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Tavish » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:52 pm

Gomes (1B, conjecture)
Cantu 2B
Lugo SS
Upton 3B
Crawford LF
Baldelli CF
Gathright RF
D. Young DH

Sounds nice and its always great to get excited for the future but...

Lugo will likely be gone after this season and Baldelli won't be too far behind, and Gathright is a modern day Tom Goodwin. You know what you are getting out of Crawford and possibly Cantu, but Upton, Young and Gomes are still very much prospects. The D-Rays should be able to get close to a mid-league offense by 07 but not even close to a historical one unless they are supplementing those prospects with some great free agents.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby Mookie4ever » Wed Sep 14, 2005 6:57 pm

Sounds like you are already giving up on 2006.

btw - they still have no pitching and terrible management. I predict that they trade Gathright for Loaiza followed by Cantu for Kenny Rogers and stay in the AL East basement for the foreseeable future.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 257)

Postby Red Stripe » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:09 pm

They have some nice young players no doubt, and they actually do have some pretty good young pitching down a little deeper in the minors(Niemann, Townsend, etc.) but under their current management they will go nowhere but

v
v
v
v
v
v
v
v
Red Stripe
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby hybrid » Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:20 pm

Not bad, but the day Delmon will be DH'ing isn't any time soon. Gathright has the weakest arm of all the OF's, no way he plays RF especially over the guy with the best arm.

Also I agree they are very talented, but it takes more then talent to be a top offensive team. Just jumping the gun a bit on saying "they could be one of the best offensive teams in history". Wait till they are the best in their own division before thinking that.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:32 am

I'm not even sure this team would fall under the "good offensive team" category. On any rate, no young talent in MLB is worth the hype till he actually proves something. By that I mean, young talent fails to pan out in MLB every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I'll wait to see if some of these young guys can actually hit/keep it up at the big league level first.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby BaseballFann0008 » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:53 pm

we always have hopes, but come on these guys are in the al east. its tough when you have great management.

drays :-t
Hot Chick Draft:
1.01: Scarlett Johansson
2.12: Mila Kunis
3.01: Malin Akerman
4.12: Britney Spears
5.01: Jessica Simpson
6.12: Penelope Cruz
7.01: Tera Patrick
8.12: Christina Milian
9.01: Cameron Diaz
10.12: Lucy Liu