MLB players are babies? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting

MLB players are babies?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MLB players are babies?

Postby Quackman » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Seems this is a new thing, but nobody seems to play with pain anymore. Talk to older players (and not even that old) a common theme is that something on their body was in pain all the time. Rarely was someone 100percent. Being sore was part of it, playing through it for your team.

Seems this is all in the past, no more cal Ripken jr, players now seem to be out with any minor muscle strain. So what if an MRI is negative, "I have a boo boo and I need 4-6 weeks.". forget playing if I'm sore.

Could be from the top down I know but it's sad to see this change and it's only getting worse.

Vent over
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 64)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: MLB players are babies?

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:01 pm

When they're viewed as the investments that they are, and you attach the ridiculous price tag to them that some of them have, if I were an owner I would want to make sure I was getting the best ROI over the course of a contract too, which unfortunately means not pushing it. Some of it may be the players being babies, but I think a lot of it is organizational.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 377)

Postby Quackman » Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:09 pm

bigh0rt wrote:When they're viewed as the investments that they are, and you attach the ridiculous price tag to them that some of them have, if I were an owner I would want to make sure I was getting the best ROI over the course of a contract too, which unfortunately means not pushing it. Some of it may be the players being babies, but I think a lot of it is organizational.

Ya i get it starts from the top down, but my feeling is if you treat players like babies then they will be more fragile and get hurt more often. I bet there are stats for that somewhere. For me there is a big difference between being "sore" and being "hurt". In the last couple years it seems more and more players are gong on DL bc of soreness. Its bs. Like a little pain is some big thing. Maybe we could make a fantasy stat,,,call it bf "baby factor" and you get negative points for each game missed with injury.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby lane_anasazi2 » Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:24 pm

A lot of modern medicene, especially in the area of sports thearpy, is focusing more on on prevention rather than treatment. Guys who "play through pain" can end up re-injuring themselves and missing more time. It's all about keeping guys on the field, in the long run, at 100% for as long as possible. It has nothing to do with mental toughness.
lane_anasazi2
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 66)

Postby OBPlover » Mon Aug 27, 2012 9:22 am

No, it's totally false.

MLB players get injured far LESS today, not more. It is a common misconception that today's players are "babies".

Consider this. There have been more 300 game winning pitchers created between 1970-2000 than between 1900 to 1970. Pretty amazing considering all those old stats of guys that threw 300 plus innings right? Let me tell you something about those guys - their arms fell off.

We are just more aware of everything these days and dwell on negativity as we glorify the past. It's human nature. Not just baseball but in everything.
OBPlover
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 126)

Postby Quackman » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:13 pm

OBPlover wrote:No, it's totally false.

MLB players get injured far LESS today, not more. It is a common misconception that today's players are "babies".

Consider this. There have been more 300 game winning pitchers created between 1970-2000 than between 1900 to 1970. Pretty amazing considering all those old stats of guys that threw 300 plus innings right? Let me tell you something about those guys - their arms fell off.

We are just more aware of everything these days and dwell on negativity as we glorify the past. It's human nature. Not just baseball but in everything.

Calling bs on this. I dont think Players get injured less nowadays. Im talking missing any games due to any level of injury. Must be stats out there somewhere for that though. So are you guys all saying that there are NO situations where players could "play through" pain and would end up fine? To me there is a big difference between "aches and pains" and an injury. Just being a pro means that you are going to have little things happen that arent serious. I see a big trend where players are benched first,,,then tests, then rehab when all along it was nothing that should have prevented a player from playing. Just my 2 cents. I get the whole prevention thing but its possible to go overboard with it.
Quackman
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby antant42 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Starting Pitchers are not babies. What they do with their arms is un natural and their shoulders and elbows are put under a lot of stress.

Anytime we are talking about Knee, elbow, hip or shoulder Injuries. Players should take it easy.

However, Today's Relief pitchers and position players are babies.

Don't Complain about pitching 3 days in a row, you are in charge of ONE inning!

As for position players.. If you don't get HIT with the ball, than how are you getting hurt? Almost every other sport is harder on a body that baseball.

Football, Hockey, Soccer, Basketball.

Most of the time players are just standing around!

How many times do you see a hockey player miss a game because his arm is sore or because his finger hurts.

I don't expect baseball players to be like hockey players. To play in the NHL you have to be insane, But suck it up a little atleast.
Cheap tickets for baseball, football, hockey, and basketball available at www.TicketOcean.com

*** An Ocean of tickets for sports, concerts, and shows ***
antant42
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Izenhart » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:20 am

antant42 wrote:Starting Pitchers are not babies. What they do with their arms is un natural and their shoulders and elbows are put under a lot of stress.

Anytime we are talking about Knee, elbow, hip or shoulder Injuries. Players should take it easy.

As for position players.. If you don't get HIT with the ball, than how are you getting hurt? Almost every other sport is harder on a body that baseball.

How many times do you see a hockey player miss a game because his arm is sore or because his finger hurts.

I don't expect baseball players to be like hockey players. To play in the NHL you have to be insane, But suck it up a little atleast.

Its because unlike hockey, football or soccer baseball players rely on quickness, precision and strength to hit a baseball. When you have a hangnail so bad that you can't grip and swing your bat properly you are cheating yourself and your teammates by trying to play through it and going 0-4. Maybe your sore hammy effects your hitting where you can't properly lift your leg and shift your weight correctly, messing up your timing and concentration. It's a hard enough game where even at your best you still fail 2 out of three times. There's no other sport I can think of where a minor injury could be more troublesome.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:13 am

antant42 wrote:Starting Pitchers are not babies. What they do with their arms is un natural and their shoulders and elbows are put under a lot of stress.

You're also forgetting that unlike most sports, baseball is pretty much played for 6 straight months with few days off. Very important.

Baseball is all about quick bursts and accelerations. Try standing still, and running full speed and contorting your body for 4 seconds, then stopping, and doing it all over again. This is how muscles are pulled or stretched too far or torn.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Return to Game Commentary, Cheering & Venting