Matchup Meltdown Rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Matchup Meltdown

Matchup Meltdown Rules

Moderator: Baseball Matchup Meltdown Mods

Matchup Meltdown Rules

Postby menyak » Mon Mar 22, 2004 9:37 am

Fantasy Baseball Cafe Matchup Meltdown

In many survivor formats, one freak result can end your whole season in April. That's why we've created a game with longer gameplay, where luck isn't quite as large a factor:

Welcome to Fantasy Baseball Cafe's Matchup Meltdown, where your powers of baseball prediction will be tested to the limit.

Gameplay

Each weekend of the season, you try to predict the winners of as many MLB games as possible. The catch? You're only allowed to make predictions for as many games as you predicted correctly the previous weekend...

Gameplay is simple. To begin the season, each player predicts the winners for all MLB games played on weekend 1. For every prediction that turns out to be incorrect, you can choose one game less the following week (correct predictions and the corresponding number of predictions you may make the following weekend will appear on your entry).

The result of a game will only count if it is actually played on a given weekend (that includes games postponed from Saturday to Sunday). Be careful when choosing your winners - it's like that famous rapper says, "You only get one shot," and you can not change your mind and correct your pick later on.

If a game is postponed beyond the weekend, your predicted winner will be considered correct.

If, due to a prior rainout, a makeup double-header is played on Saturday or Sunday, the game that begins closest to that day's originally scheduled time will be considered the "original" matchup and used for Matchup Meltdown scoring.

If a game ends in a tie, your predicted winner will be considered correct.

If you fail to predict even one game correctly, you are eliminated. The winner is the last player remaining in the game.

Example: On weekend 1, you correctly predict 15 of the 25 winners. On weekend 2, you can then choose any 15 games, where you'll again attempt to predict the winning team.

If 10 of your 15 weekend 2 predictions turn out to be correct, you'll then be able to choose 10 games on weekend 3, etc.

Should you be good enough (and lucky enough) to have more predictions remaining than actual games are scheduled on a given weekend, your extra predictions will not be lost; you'll be able to use them as soon as you no longer have more predictions than scheduled games.

To make your predictions, simply submit the name of the teams you expect to win that weekend in the weekly Predictions thread in this forum. (You may only choose one team from each game. Please make sure you submit the correct amount of predictions; if you accidentally submit more predictions than you're entitled to, the teams listed first will count. After submitting your pick, it's your own responsibility to make sure it actually shows up in your post. In case of technical problems, please contact the moderator of this game and/or PM menyak.)

In the first weeks of the season, you're able to choose any games you like. But do think twice before betting on those easy favorites - as the competition progresses and the number of picks available to you starts melting away, so does the number of games you may pick! Which games you can choose depends entirely on the picks you made in previous rounds, as the WebHamster (the Cafe's diligent, robotic rodent pet) will learn from your picks and try to give you a hard time by locking away those matchups that seem to be no-brainers to you. If a team you've constantly picked as a winner meets a team you've consistently picked as a loser, chances are that the game's HI (Hamster Intelligence) module will block it. So it's up to you to preserve your options and make well-balanced choices over the course of the season. Picking a good team to lose against a very good team, or a bad team to win against a very bad team (instead of going for the very best team against the very worst), will ensure that you can still pick (or pick against) these teams when you need it most.

Regardless which matchups you chose in previous rounds, the WebHamster should always offer you at least twice as many matchups as you have picks available (or three matchups total, whichever number is greater).

A weekend on which every participant chooses the same team or teams would be meaningless. Therefore, if you are the last person to submit a pick on a given weekend and all previous picks are identical, you must choose a different team as your winner.

Bye Weeks and Safety Weeks

Sometimes, no matter how hard you try, you simply can't get online to submit a prediction. And sometimes, the weekend's matchups are simply so tricky that you'll want to give them a miss. That's what the bye week is for: each player may miss one week of the season, and will still be able to make the same number of predictions. (This also means that players may join the game after weekend 1.)

The first week a player misses counts as a bye; any further missed weeks will count as safety weeks, in which players automatically lose half of their remaining predictions, rounded up.

Example: In week 6, you still have 7 predictions left, but don't submit any predictions. Your bye week goes into effect, and you'll still be able to make 7 predictions in week 7.

If you again submit no predictions in week 7, you'll be down to 3 predictions in week 8 (half of 7 rounded up = 4 predictions lost).

(If you choose the first week as your bye, you will begin the game with either as many picks as all other players had available in week one, or as many games are on the week 2 schedule, whichever is less.)

To take a bye or safety week, simply don't post a reply in that week's thread - you'll automatically be assigned a bye or safety, which will be reflected in the standings.

Hidden Scores

The Matchup Meltdown form also includes an option for hidden predictions. Check this box if you don't want your competitors to see the exact picks you made - your post will then only show how many home teams and how many away teams you have chosen as winners. Unless you're extremely paranoid, we encourage you not to make use of this option too often early in the season (seeing the other people's picks is simply more fun), but if you notice that someone is copying your results or if the race becomes extremely close towards the end of the season, use this feature to protect your knowledge from copycats.

Deadlines

The deadline for submitting your tips is flexible - it depends on the earliest game you choose for the particular weekend. As an example, if you have only five tips left and all the games you choose are on Sunday, submitting your tips Sunday morning will be early enough.

IMPORTANT: Please note that if any game on your list has already started, it means that all your predictions for that weekend will be invalid. In this case, that week will be counted as your bye week, or, if you have already used your bye, as a safety week.

Melting Point

As the game progresses, we will decorate a number of players for advancing in the contest by awarding them the Matchup Meltdown Survivor icon. The exact number of players to receive the icon will be determined by the game's Melting Point - a value that can be found in the game's Results & Standings thread after the game has begun. Once the number of players still in the game drops below that Melting Point, all remaining players who advance to the following week will get the icon.

Tiebreakers

If more than one player is still standing at the end of the season, the game continues into the MLB playoffs (and those players will also earn our profound respect).

If all remaining players are eliminated in the same week, the game will continue with each of those players having one prediction.

If more than one player is still standing at the end of the playoffs, the player that had the most correct predictions the previous week shall be declared the winner. In case this number is equal, the preceding weeks will be compared in the same manner until a winner is determined.

Example: If Player A and Player B both fail to predict a winner correctly in the final week of the playoffs, but Player A made three correct predictions the preceding week compared with two for Player B, Player A is declared the winner.

Prizes

Instead of common gold and jewels, our winners receive titles, icons, and bragging rights. Let the games begin...

© 2003-2005 Stefan Micke.
Last edited by menyak on Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:48 am, edited 12 times in total.
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Mookie4ever » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:31 am

Sounds cool Menyak - count me in.

I have one question - about the safeties.

If another player and I both have 10 selections, I make my picks but he doesn't and I end up only getting 3 of 10 correct - does that mean that I have 3 picks the next week but the player that skipped making his picks gets 5?

Also what if you are down to just one pick left and you miss your pick - half of one rounded up is one. I think that you should round down when you get to one. Just a suggestion.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 282)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby menyak » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:42 am

Mookie4ever wrote:If another player and I both have 10 selections, I make my picks but he doesn't and I end up only getting 3 of 10 correct - does that mean that I have 3 picks the next week but the player that skipped making his picks gets 5?

Correct. The point is that if you keep getting only 1/2 of your picks right you stand no chance winning the game. So if you actually make your picks, you better be better! ;-)

Mookie4ever wrote:Also what if you are down to just one pick left and you miss your pick - half of one rounded up is one. I think that you should round down when you get to one. Just a suggestion.

That's a misunderstanding, the predictions your loose are rounded up, which means that the remaining picks are rounded down. :-) If you read the example in the rules, everything should be clear.
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

WebmasterCafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Mon Mar 22, 2004 2:56 pm

I'm looking forward to it. B-)
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Sox FANatic001 » Mon Mar 22, 2004 3:50 pm

sounds great!

a few quickquestions.

sayroyals are playing the tigers and i want the royals on saturdayand the tigers on sunday.

Would I write Royals (Sat)Tigers (Sun). Or do i create seperate lists for each day. also, are you counting fridayas a weekend day? i know in some places it is considered to be the weeked.
Lets Go patsox!

yay! sox win!!!
bambino-1918-2004
Rest In Pain ;-)

Big David Ortiz Rocks my socks off
him and pokey
Sox FANatic001
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby Zito is God » Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:34 pm

I think I get it, anyways, hope it'll be fun.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby menyak » Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:12 pm

Sox FANatic001 wrote:sounds great!

a few quickquestions.

sayroyals are playing the tigers and i want the royals on saturdayand the tigers on sunday.

Would I write Royals (Sat)Tigers (Sun). Or do i create seperate lists for each day. also, are you counting fridayas a weekend day? i know in some places it is considered to be the weeked.

Weekend is just Saturday and Sunday. As for the exact format, simply wait what we come up with. Ideally, it'll be a form that leaves no questions open. ;-)
"Never argue with an idiot. People won't know who's who."
menyak Beginner
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DieHardCubbie » Mon Mar 22, 2004 8:43 pm

WOO HOO....a new game for me to win..... :-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby mikcou » Mon Mar 22, 2004 10:07 pm

yay a new game im in :-D
mikcou
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby eftda » Mon Mar 22, 2004 11:24 pm

I'll be out before weekend 2 :-b
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Matchup Meltdown