I don't understand the Kyle Lohse situation - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

I don't understand the Kyle Lohse situation

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

I don't understand the Kyle Lohse situation

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:39 am

So apparently if a team signs Lohse they lose a farm pick. What I don't understand why they would saddle Lohse with this. What is the purpose? Would STL be awarded the pick or does it just disappear? It must just disappear...
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 40)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: I don't understand the Kyle Lohse situation

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 am

STL gets the pick from the team that signs him, and anyone that doesn't sign him gets to keep their pick it doesn't disappear it just moves or doesn't.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:01 am

If St. Louis re-signs him, no harm no faul.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 117)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:08 am

ayebatter wrote:STL gets the pick from the team that signs him, and anyone that doesn't sign him gets to keep their pick it doesn't disappear it just moves or doesn't.

It's different in the new CBA. STL gets a comp pick in between the 1st and 2nd rd. The signing team loses a pick that simply disappears.

The problem is that Lohse just isn't that good. He's a 34 yr old that had a career season.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:12 am

But why would STL get a pick? It's not like he's under contract with them. At some point does the lost pick situation go away if Lohse hasn't signed because he has this hanging over his head?

What is the purpose of making a team lose a pick to sign Lohse? If STL does not have him under contract, then why do they deserve this right?

I really don't care about Lohse or STL, I'm just not understanding why this is the way it is.
“Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them.” --Henry David Thoreau
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Postby GiantsFan14 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am

Sticky Spice wrote:But why would STL get a pick? It's not like he's under contract with them. At some point does the lost pick situation go away if Lohse hasn't signed because he has this hanging over his head?

What is the purpose of making a team lose a pick to sign Lohse? If STL does not have him under contract, then why do they deserve this right?

I really don't care about Lohse or STL, I'm just not understanding why this is the way it is.

This is how offering arbitration has always worked. It's supposed to give small market teams that can't afford to keep their home-grown stars some compensation when those stars leave.

With the premium put on developing your own talent nowadays, many teams are simply unwilling to give up those picks and it's preventing a mediocre guy like lohse from finding a team. I think if the season starts and he hasn't signed the situation disappears but I could be wrong about that.
@FBC_GiantsFan14 on Twitter
GiantsFan14
Baseball Scribe
Baseball Scribe

EditorCafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 429)

Postby ayebatter » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:20 am

STL offered him arbitration, he denied therefore they (STL) get a someone's(any other team)) pick if they (any other team) sign him, if STL resigns him no pick is involved.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby kab21 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:34 am

GiantsFan14 wrote:This is how offering arbitration has always worked. It's supposed to give small market teams that can't afford to keep their home-grown stars some compensation when those stars leave.

With the premium put on developing your own talent nowadays, many teams are simply unwilling to give up those picks and it's preventing a mediocre guy like lohse from finding a team. I think if the season starts and he hasn't signed the situation disappears but I could be wrong about that.

Yep, Lohse took the chance at getting a bigger payday and he is caught in no man's land now. Every once in awhile there is a player or two that doesn't sign until very late. A few years ago it was Juan Cruz. I think there were 1-2 other players that year also.

In the old CBA I think the date was June 15th when draft pick comp went away.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby SpecialFNK » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:31 am

I think only certain teams lose their 1st round pick, right? like if your one of the bad teams in baseball from last season, then your 1st round pick is protected? I haven't been following Lohse, but it was like that with Michael Bourn.
teams don't want to lose a 1st round draft pick to sign "Kyle Lohse" because he's not that good. he had a career year last year with 2.86 ERA, 1.09 WHIP, and 16 wins. all career numbers and unlikely to be repeated. even with those numbers from last year his career numbers are now 4.45 ERA, 1.37 WHIP. teams just don't want to take a chance on him.
imagine a team signing Lohse, losing their 1st round draft pick, only to have Lohse suck.
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby Sticky Spice » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:35 am

Ahh, it makes much more sense now.

If keeping small market teams competitive is really their goal, then instead of making these kinds of rules they could first worry about doing a better job policing those owners that purposely make their teams non-competitive in order to make a huge profit (as we saw in the Padres documentary).

viewtopic.php?t=454161
Sticky Spice
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Musketeer

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers