Matt Harvey: Legit Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:44 pm

"Anybody else watch Matt Harvey tonight? He looked super impressive. I'm still not completely sold, as I'm not one to go in on rookie pitchers, but he could be really really good as soon as next season. If Wheeler is supposed to be better, the Mets might actually have something. I have been cautious about mets pitchers. Never liked Pelfrey much, thought Niese would be good eventually. I really thought that Harvey was more a Niese type, but he looks ready to be excellent now."

This is what I wrote after his last start. He now has thrown two innings with 5 ks tonight. Throwing fastballs at 98. Offspeed pitches are deceiving hitters. Control has been pretty darn good. I'm starting to believe. Could be the lone bright spot in the second half for the Mets.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:19 pm

At what point do we, as Mets fans, start thrusting entirely too lofty expectations on the kid for 2013? Are we there yet? Can i start the bus??
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Re: Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:27 pm

bigh0rt wrote:At what point do we, as Mets fans, start thrusting entirely too lofty expectations on the kid for 2013? Are we there yet? Can i start the bus??

I was legitimately scared to write what I wrote. I was sure that right after I posted, Harvey would be scheduled for Tommy John or go all Steve Sax/ Rick Ankiel. All I can believe is my eyes and the stats. Both things of those tell me things are looking pretty good for 2013 and beyond.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby BigZ38 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:00 pm

I hope so, I just acquired him in a dynasty league for Burnett and Buehrle.
BigZ38
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby kab21 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:32 pm

The big thing to watch with Harvey is whether or not the walks will get to him and if he'll continue to be able to get hitters to chase pitches. Right now he's in the top 20 in getting hitters to chase and in the bottom 20 in throwing the ball in the strikezone (Pitch FX numbers at fangraphs). I think he'll be pretty good (and traded a lot for him in a dynasty) but he might hit a few rough patches when he gets squeezed or hitters don't chase.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:44 pm

bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 375)

Re: Re: Matt Harvey: Legit Ace?

Postby garf112 » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:46 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Image

Woo!!!!!!!! Woo!!!!!!!!

garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby J35J » Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:52 am

kab21 wrote:The big thing to watch with "any young pitcher" is whether or not the walks will get to him and if he'll continue to be able to get hitters to chase pitches.

This is pretty much a standard line for any young starter...this is usually what will make or break a young, promising talent with good stuff.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 421)

Postby Izenhart » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:09 am

The only game I have watched him pitch this year was against the Padres, and he clearly didn't have great stuff. His fastball was up and his benders were too low and hitters weren't chasing. I held onto him anyway and am glad I did. Gonna have to watch him a bit more closely his next few starts.
Izenhart
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 301)

Postby kab21 » Thu Aug 23, 2012 10:28 am

J35J wrote:
kab21 wrote:The big thing to watch with "any young pitcher" is whether or not the walks will get to him and if he'll continue to be able to get hitters to chase pitches.

This is pretty much a standard line for any young starter...this is usually what will make or break a young, promising talent with good stuff.

I have a bigger fear when that pitcher had only okay (10%) BB rates in the minors and counts on hitters chasing balls outside of the zone.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 181)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers