Dexter Fowler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dexter Fowler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dexter Fowler

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 am

Noticed he didn't have a page in the index, and instead of bumping an archaic thread, I figured here we go...

What do people make of his 2nd half? I had pretty good expectations for Fowler, who completely flopped at the beginning of the year, but has been on an absolute tear the 2nd half of this year in fantasy to the tune of:

66 G, .290, 5 HR, 26 RBI, 49 R, 10 SB

His K:BB hasn't really changed, and he's sporting a .356 BABIP, but he's .342 for his career, so it doesn't seem overly inflated. Am I setting myself up to be fooled twice by him when I draft him next season hoping this will continue, the way I did this past Spring following a strong 2010 2nd half (he's surpassed that in 2011, but still...)??

Can he ever be the .275, 12 HR, 50 RBI, 100 R, 25 SB guy he's shown flashes of, and can be had late in drafts? I'd love to see .285 - .290 but he's just never shown the ability to sustain that over a long stretch.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Dexter Fowler

Postby RedHopeful » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:01 am

I'm with you hort in raising more than just another eyebrow. Since I don't care he might fool me 3 times, I'll probably end up on his 2012 bandwagon. A guy who might have figured something out this season with his potential batting towards the top of Colorado's lineup? I'll spend a mid to late pick depending on the type of draft. ;-D
RedHopeful
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicBasketball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 83)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Niffoc4 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:08 pm

Depends on what you mean by mid to late. I think of him as a decent late-round flier in mixed leagues, I will probably target him after the first few rounds in my 20 team league's draft, but that's a league that keeps 10 plus 3 rookies, so round 3 or later is really somewhere between #200 and 260.
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby wrveres » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:01 am

since he will be a mid to late round pick, i dont see the risk. I usually have my outfield slots filled by then, so at best he'll be a no risk bench bat
25                "Love the Padres"
Rafael

Dodgers FAIL|Mets FAIL|Canada FAIL
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 757)

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:35 am

wrveres wrote:since he will be a mid to late round pick, i dont see the risk. I usually have my outfield slots filled by then, so at best he'll be a no risk bench bat

Depending on your strategy, at that point in the draft you may be passing on SP who could end up being extremely valuable* ** for a bat we have hoped would figure it out for 3 years now and has yet to really put it together.

* No, I'm not ignoring the risk in drafting SP anywhere, any time.
** Upon further review, Fowler's MDP last season was 248, after the aforementioned run on SP seem to occur in my drafts. By that point, it was the Pelfreys, Richards, Nieses, and Arroyos of the world who were going off draft boards. If he's in that range again in 2012, I'll fall into the trap for a third straight year... what the heck.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 357)

Return to Baseball Leftovers