6/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and NL Cy Young - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

6/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and NL Cy Young

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Pick your Pony. 2011 National League Cy Young

Poll ended at Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:37 am

Tommy Hanson
7%
Jhoulys Chacin
2%
Cole Hamels
22%
Clayton Kershaw
7%
Shaun Marcum
No votes
Tim Lincecum
5%
Anibal Sanchez
2%
Cliff Lee
10%
Roy Halladay
39%
Elijah Dukes
5%

Total votes : 41

6/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and NL Cy Young

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:37 am

And I just traded him away a week ago. Dude I hate when this happens. The same guy, the very same team owner, traded for Albert Pujols in another league a week ago too. I don't think he got an AB. Wow, just Wow!
CSNPhilly.com: Roy Oswalt left Thursday night’s start – an ugly 12-2 loss to the St. Louis Cardinals – after two innings with lower back soreness. He said he’s been bothered by the condition “for a while.” He said, “I feel it when I sit down, stand up, walk, pitch, sleep.” He doesn’t know when he’ll pitch again ... If ever.

“You throw as long as you can and when you can’t throw anymore you don’t,” the 33-year-old pitcher said after the game. “Hopefully it’s not to the point where I can’t throw anymore. If it’s at that point, you just have to accept it.” Oswalt said he continued to pitch through the problem because, “I don’t want to be labeled a quitter.” He said he realized during Thursday night’s brief outing that he “was not helping the team. I’m kind of a liability more than anything.” “I don’t know if it’s gotten to the point where it’s bulging,” he said. “Hopefully not. “We’ll see where it’s at and if I have to get it fixed, I’ll get it fixed.”
Don't get me wrong, i'm not giving Mark Reynolds back, but you spend time building trading partners over the years, and when crap like this happens, they remember ... Im gonna have to send a rich chocolaty frosty just to butter him up next time. Fricking Roy.

Thing is, Oswalt is just the type of person who would walk away. This isn't the first time we have heard these comments from him. His contract is such that he can walk away and get $2 million next year, and just be done with it. I wouldn't be shocked.

Beachymania continues!
Lee Perrault: Brandon Beachy has held the Blue Jays in check today; 11 strikeouts, 4 hits, 2 walks, 1 earned run(solo HR by Jose Bautista). At the beginning of the season, Beachy was an afterthought. He was supposed to be a quick band-aid while the highly touted Mike Minor got healthy, and he came out of the gate firing on all cylinders. Before today's matchup with Toronto, Beachy has sported all-star caliber numbers, even with the oblique strain.

Beachy's 9.34 K/9 ranks 9th among players with at least 40 innings. His K/BB ratio of 3.83 ranks 12th. While only possessing a slightly favorable BABIP(.267) and HR/FB%(8.9%) for the current season, the rest of Beachy's warning indicator statistics (LOB%) look in line with league norms, which has kept his ERA and FIP within percentage points of each other. Pretty impressive over Beachy's 8th start, especially considering the brevity of the final one where he left injured. All in all, this is a very promising month and a half of work from Beachy, and something that savvy manager should have pounced on when rivals started to jettison him once he hit the disabled list.
I consider myself a gunslinger, and i wont go near him. It's not like he is available anyways, but i know as soon as i put a Ranger pitcher on my staff, my season will go down the toilet. quick.
Brad Evans: For the past several weeks, fantasy pundits have implored Alexi Ogando owners to auction off the treasured starter to the highest bidder. Their stance: Because of his incredibly fortunate BABIP (.229), Lady Luck is destined to call off their relationship, keying his car, cutting up old jerseys and setting ablaze to photos in the process. In wake of her psychopathic rampage, only graffitied Facebook walls and a 4-plus ERA would remain. It's inevitable. Though sabersticians steadfastly believe a correction will come, the Rangers hurler, for the most part, has stiff-armed the law of averages. The 11th-best pitcher and 41st-best commodity overall, he has triumphed seven times, posting a 2.66 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 6.55 K/9 over 88 innings.

Baseball purists are elated with his steady returns. After all, they think fanalytical data is nothing more than quack science contrived by mathletes. The righty's unorthodox mechanics, which brilliantly disguises his mid-to-high-90s heat, and sharp slider are all the proof they need for continued success. To predict a dramatic regression because of one statistic is foolish. He's Trevor Cahill revisited (.236 BABIP, 2.97 ERA in '10), a pitcher who will continue to defy expert "Sell High!" cries. Anti-saberists, the gun enthusiasts of the fantasy community, may actually have a point.
SAGNOF². its a science.
Grey: I usually like to wait a couple of months into the season to look at some of the catchers that couldn’t throw out your grandma even if she loses the tennis balls off her walker. Or some of the catchers that are quite agile — hey, it’s Italian! I wait a few months because new catchers come into the league and I like to see a decent sample size — that’s what she said! Anyway, here’s some of the best and worst catchers for fantasy baseball:
I get all the Chris Carters confused. This is supposed to be the good one, i think.
Roto Hardball: Slugging prospect Chris Carter gets the call. Carter had a 24 game cup of coffee last year and flopped posting a .186/.256/.329 line with three home runs in 70 at-bats after popping 31 home runs in AAA before the call. He got a late start to the 2011 season and has only played 29 games, but he is back to his mashing ways with eight home runs in 109 at- bats including five in 85 at AAA. He has great power, but struggles mightily when it comes to making contact which could be his undoing at the big league level yet again. The A’s need power, any kind of power, so I understand the call up, but don’t expect him to be a power producing savior for your fantasy team. He is probably worth a speculative pick up in AL-Only leagues and very deep mixed leagues especially if you have a bench, but otherwise he is more of a wait-&-see player.
News that interests me, and possibly you, but mostly me.
Michael Pineda pitched seven scoreless innings while allowing four hits against the Washington Nationals Thursday. He struck out nine batters and walked one in the game
Tim Lincecum pitched seven scoreless innings while allowing three hits against the Minnesota Twins Thursday, to pick up his sixth win of the season. He struck out 12 batters and walked two in the game
Jason Marquis pitched eight scoreless innings while allowing three hits against the Seattle Mariners Thursday. He struck out four batters and walked three in the game
Michael Cuddyer went 3-for-4 with one RBI against the San Francisco Giants Thursday, to extend his hitting streak to 12 games.
Domonic Brown has widened his stance lately to help him maintain better balance at the plate
general manager Alex Anthopoulos said it will take OF Jose Bautista a few days to make the transition to playing third base.
Kirk Gibson said he expects OF Wily Mo Pena to see more breaking balls during at bats and that Pena needs to adjust and lay off the bad pitches. Gibson indicated that Pena's abilty to make the adjustment likely will determine how long he will be up with the team.
David Wright (back) has been cleared to resume his workouts and could rejoin the team in three weeks. He will go to the team's spring training complex Friday
Jonathan Broxton (elbow) tossed a scoreless rehab inning Thursday for Triple-A Albuquerque. He struck out 3
Brett Lawrie (fractured hand) is still having trouble gripping a bat and is not close to returning
Last edited by wrveres on Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Todays Games

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 24, 2011 5:38 am

Today's Games - Today's (ugh) Weather - Bullpen Report - Press Pass

Lots of good pitchers on the mound today. Runs will be at a premium.
Im rolling with studs Tim Stauffer, Scott Baker and some guy named Jon Lester.
The last game of the day is my favorite match-up. Carlos Carrasco is pitching out of his mind right now, and San Francisco has scored less runs than San Diego. Ha!

Reds (39-37) @ Orioles (33-39), 7:05pm
CIN: Edinson Volquez (27, RHP, 4-3, 5.61)
BAL: Chris Jakubauskas (32, RHP, 2-0, 5.14)

D'backs (42-34) @ Tigers (40-35), 7:05pm
ARI: Zach Duke (28, LHP, 1-2, 4.66)
DET: Phil Coke (28, LHP, 1-7, 3.95)

Rockies (37-37) @ Yankees (43-30), 7:05pm
COL: Ubaldo Jimenez (27, RHP, 2-7, 4.68)
NYY: A.J. Burnett (34, RHP, 7-5, 4.05)

Mets (37-38) @ Rangers (40-36), 8:05pm
NYM: Mike Pelfrey (27, RHP, 4-5, 4.70)
TEX: Matt Harrison (25, LHP, 5-6, 3.16)

Cubs (30-44) @ Royals (31-44), 8:10pm
CHC: Ryan Dumpster (34, RHP, 5-6, 5.46)
KCR: Bruce Chen (34, LHP, 4-1, 3.59)

Nationals (38-37) @ WhiteSox (37-39), 8:10pm
WSN: Jordan Zimmermann (25, RHP, 5-6, 3.08)
CHW: Edwin Jackson (27, RHP, 4-6, 4.47)

RedSox (44-30) @ Pirates (37-37), 7:05pm
BOS: Jon Lester (27, LHP, 9-3, 3.70)
PIT: Paul Maholm (29, LHP, 3-8, 3.29)

Athletics (34-42) @ Phillies (47-29), 7:05pm
OAK: Guillermo Moscoso (27, RHP, 2-3, 3.30)
PHI: Vance Worley (23, RHP, 2-1, 3.41)

Rays (41-34) @ Astros (28-48), 8:05pm
TBR: James Shields (29, RHP, 7-4, 2.40)
HOU: Wandy Rodriguez (32, LHP, 5-3, 2.88)

Twins (32-41) @ Brewers (41-35), 8:10pm
MIN: Scott Baker (29, RHP, 5-4, 3.24)
MIL: Randy Wolf (34, LHP, 5-4, 3.15)

Blue Jays (36-39) @ Cardinals (41-35), 8:15pm
TOR: Brandon Morrow (26, RHP, 3-4, 5.02)
STL: Jake Westbrook (33, RHP, 6-4, 5.16)

Braves (43-33) @ Padres (32-44), 10:05pm
ATL: Derek Lowe (38, RHP, 3-5, 4.10)
SDP: Tim Stauffer (29, RHP, 2-5, 3.13)

Mariners (37-38) @ Marlins (33-42), 10:10pm
SEA: Felix Hernandez (25, RHP, 7-6, 3.34)
FLA: Ricky Nolasco (28, RHP, 4-3, 4.48)

Angels (37-39) @ Dodgers (34-42), 10:10pm
LAA: Dan Haren (30, RHP, 6-5, 2.96)
LAD: Rubby De La Rosa (22, RHP, 3-1, 4.58)

Indians (40-33) @ Giants (41-34), 10:15pm ;-D
CLE: Carlos Carrasco (24, RHP, 7-3, 3.87)
SFG: Jonathan Sanchez (28, LHP, 4-5, 3.71)

Braves Suck! Chop this!
Last edited by wrveres on Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: 6/24 Venting, Cheering, Huff's Ding Dongs, and NL Cy You

Postby thedude » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:03 am

wrveres wrote:]
general manager Alex Anthopoulos said it will take OF Jose Bautista a few days to make the transition to playing third base.

He is not good at right or third. Dude can hit, but really should be a DH.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby AussieDodger » Fri Jun 24, 2011 9:52 am

Mitch Moreland is a bad man :-L

I believe someone who's name rhymes with q.flare-es was trying to prevent me signing Moreland for 4 years. ;-7 O:-)

I only have one thing to say to that......http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z4m4lnjxkY :-B
ATTENTION LONG-TIMERS! NEW FBC: http://fbc2.freeforums.net/
AussieDodger
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 25)

Postby kab21 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:01 am

My opponent could determine this weeks pitching matchup tonight. I have nobody starting and he has Felix, Lester, Stauffer and Zim.

I also have lester in roto and Haren in a 24 tm league.
kab21
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 170)

Postby lastingsgriller » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:16 am

is it time to start talking about Chris Capuano? or... what the deal there?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:38 am

thedude wrote:
wrveres wrote:
He's no Adrian Gonzalez. When was the last time the MVP went to a DH?
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:40 am

lastingsgriller wrote:is it time to start talking about Chris Capuano? or... what the deal there?
i actually have him on a couple rosters. He's not this good. He had flashes of this brilliance about a decade ago, but he is past his prime. In deeper leagues, he is great for match-ups @Metco.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby SpecialFNK » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:27 am

wrveres wrote:
thedude wrote:
wrveres wrote:
He's no Adrian Gonzalez. When was the last time the MVP went to a DH?

I don't think Batistia going to DH would have any effect on the MVP, he's not going to win it. he is in the conversation, with about 10-15 other people right now.
I don't know anything about his defense, but I thought people in the past have said he was good in RF.

pretty much all the Mets pitchers can be good if you use them at home.
I don't think enough people playing fantasy baseball really look too deep into splits. there are pitchers and hitters who can be very valuable if you can only use them home/away. 3B Chase Headley is probably available in a lot of leagues because his overall stats don't look that impressive, but he has this line away from PETCO- .348/.425/.474/.899
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 81)

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:45 am

Trotting Big Game James Shields @ HOU and hoping for a gem... sitting the wildly consistent Brandon Morrow @ STL. Thought about burning my final start of the week spotting Matt Harrison vs NYM, but I just don't trust him facing monstrous bats like Justin Turner and Ruben Tejada.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers