The Spreadsheet 2011 (5th annual) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

The Spreadsheet 2011 (5th annual)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

The Spreadsheet 2011 (5th annual)

Postby J35J » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:23 pm

***Paypal donations can be sent to jkwjarvis@hotmail.com or click here***

***Update 03/12/2011***
Version 11 is on it's way out. The spreadsheet is essentially finished at this point. I'll continue to tweak the rankings/projections as the preseason goes on but it is what it is at this point.

***Update 02/26/2011***
More starters and relievers done...also a few new additions to the starters list.

***Update 02/25/2011***
Version 8 is on it's way out. More starters and closers in this version. ;-D

***Update 02/16/2011***
Version 7 is on it's way out. I've put the starters on hold for a bit so I could move over to the closers/relievers and get a majority of the main guys in that group finished. It is starting to look like a completed spreadsheet...obvioulsy still have more to do with the starters and relievers but we are getting close.

***Update 02/16/2011***
Version 6 is now being sent out. 25 more starters are completed in this version. More updates to come.

***Update 02/12/2011***
Version 5 is now being sent out. More starters are completed in this version. More updates to come.

***Update 02/06/2011***
Version 4 is now being sent out. More starters are completed in this version. More updates to come.

***Update 02/03/2011***
Version 3 is now being sent out. This version contains around 30 starting pitchers...I'll continue to send out new versions after I complete the next 20-30 starters.

***Update 01/30/2011***
Version 2 is now being sent out. This version has all the OF complete, for now, and also has some updates to the other positions since trades have been made, more mock drafts have been completed and more time has been taken to go through the rankings. Time now to start on the starting pitching.

***Update 01/23/2011***
The outfield rankings/projections are coming along nicely. As you are probably aware there were a few outfielders who are also infield eligible so they will be added to their appriopriate infield position as well. Those that get added to a ranking when they weren't there before will be highlighted in blue. I've also made a couple small changes to some players that were already there....if they've moved up the rankings they will be highlighted in green and if they've moved down they will be highlighted in red. This should hopefully help distinguish what changes have been made from 1 version of the spreadsheet to the next.

Alright guys, here we go. Before we get overly excited though, know that this isn't finished. I've got all the infield done...C,1B,2B,3B and SS...that's it. Since I'm a slacker and this is taking me longer than it has in years past I figured I'd at least give you all something to look at for now. Once I get the OF done, I'll let everyone know....then once the SP are done, I'll let everyone know...then finally the RP. Shoot me a PM if you are interested or email me below.

The overview for those who have not ever gotten the spreadsheet...
- Worksheet dedicated to each position
- 2010 season ending stats
- 2011 projections and rankings done by yours truely
- Ages of all players, as of May 31st, 2011
- Position eligibility(based on Yahoo) of every player and the exact number of games played and started...for those who's league rules are different or don't use Yahoo
- Hyperlinks to each players ESPN player page and to their FanGraphs player page
- A few sentences on every player with my personal thoughts about each player(Nothing too in depth, mostly just quick thoughts about what I think)
- The rankings are also tiered, so you can get a gauge of who I think should be valued similarly even though they may be a few spots different in the actual rankings.
- A formula for hitters and pitchers that is a quick and dirty way to see the differences in value(kinda like dollar values, but different) Keep in mind that this formula isn't meant to be some ground breaking formula or that you should put a ton of weight into it. I mainly do it as a way to get the players in an initial ranking and then I go back through and tweak the rankings from there based on who I like more or who I think is more likely to reach the projections I've made etc, etc, etc.
- And best of all this is a great sheet to have up on your laptop during your draft and have all the info right at your fingertips.

Also, something new for this year when I make any changes I will highlight that row a different color so it is easier to tell who and what I made changes to for that version. Obiously this is version 1 so there will be plenty of changes as the offseason continues and more mock drafts are completed.

For more info and discussions from previous years...
The thread from last year...The thread from 2 years ago

***Also keep in mind I'm still taking donations for the spreadsheet...if it was up to my wife this would be pay only but I love you guys more than that so donations for another year. Paypal donations can be sent to jkwjarvis@hotmail.com or click here***
Last edited by J35J on Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:42 pm, edited 11 times in total.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: The Spreadsheet 2011 (5th annual)

Postby markj11 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:29 pm

Sweet.
I ain't askin' nobody for nothin, If I can't get it on my own. - Charlie Daniels
markj11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby MasterX1918 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 6:56 pm

awesome, I look forward to it
MasterX1918
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 4)

Postby skjelstrom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:02 pm

Was a great tool last year, I'd be a fool to not use it again.

Thanks for all the hard work J35J!
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby Seanyfever » Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:09 pm

JJ has been a greater reference for me than the mags I purchase to read on the can..... Looking forward to the complete package.
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby skjelstrom » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:45 pm

I'm not sure if you've done this in the past, but have you ever done a top 100 or 200 listing? That would be a very nice addition to compare quality when drafting. I'm not trying to be greedy as I am plenty satisfied and pleased with the work you do, and certainly with it being free it is already a great sacrifice. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!
skjelstrom Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 100)

Postby RAmst23 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:49 pm

This is a fantastic tool and a welcome resource each year. This is what I use as the foundation for my rankings but it's fantastic as a stand-alone as well. J puts a ton of work in this and please please donate if you get this spreadsheet, it's well worth it.

Now if he would just stop cheating and getting 1st place in our league, he'd be an all around nice guy... ;-)
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:06 pm

Keep this sunbitch at the top ;-D

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 248)

Postby J35J » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:21 am

skjelstrom wrote:I'm not sure if you've done this in the past, but have you ever done a top 100 or 200 listing? That would be a very nice addition to compare quality when drafting. I'm not trying to be greedy as I am plenty satisfied and pleased with the work you do, and certainly with it being free it is already a great sacrifice. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks again!

I'm not sure I'll put together a top 100-300 list as I'm just not reall a big fan of them...I'll keep it in mind for the future though.

RAmst23 wrote:This is a fantastic tool and a welcome resource each year. This is what I use as the foundation for my rankings but it's fantastic as a stand-alone as well. J puts a ton of work in this and please please donate if you get this spreadsheet, it's well worth it.

Now if he would just stop cheating and getting 1st place in our league, he'd be an all around nice guy... ;-)

If my boys could just take their winning into the playoffs it would be all the better... :-C

Thanks for the comments everyone! Much appreciated. ;-D
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 363)

Postby Dren_man » Wed Jan 19, 2011 11:37 am

Yes, I am thankful for your years of hard work...Great resource-keep me updated!
Dren_man
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 18)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers