5 most underrated/overrated fantasy players - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

5 most underrated/overrated fantasy players

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: 5 most underrated/overrated fantasy players

Postby garf112 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 1:37 pm

Underrated:

Everth Cabrera
Alcides Escobar
Kyle Blanks
Nolan Reimold
Vernon Wells

Overrated:

Alex Rios
Howie Kendrick
Gordon Beckham
Adam Jones
Ben Zobrist
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 99)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DaSh 1s » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:20 pm

Vernon Wells barf.
B-Chad wrote:Pedroia's LD rate of 20% is reason to believe he'll maintain a higher BA then Cano. It should also be noted he hits more FB's then Cano, which means that even if he posts a lower HR/FB then Cano, he should come in reasonably close to Cano in HR's
DaSh 1s
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 1)

Postby Captain Furtah » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:21 pm

Top 5 Underrated Hitters
Francuer - take a late flier to see if 2nd half numbers in Citi are for real
Bruce- needs to get average up, but 35 homer potential that late...
Borbon- if he bats leadoff in that lineup I forsee good things
Victor Martinez- if he bats 3rd and they keep him fresh by playing him at 1B and DH I think he outperforms his draft spot
D Uggla- The average is uggly, but if you get someone to balance that out it can be huge to get power from MI

Top 5 Overrated Hitters
Ellsbury- He better steal 60 if you draft him that high
Reyes- kept pushing back his comeback date in 2009, whos to say he'll ever be 100% again - plus you have to spend a 2nd rounder on him, not me
C Lee- I know everyone is predicting a decline, I just think it will be steeper than most
Ibanez- his 2nd half numbers are more like it
McCutchen- I like him and have him on my keeper team, but I've seen projections of 20/40 and 30/30? Not sure he gets there in 2010 (hope I'm wrong)

Top 5 Underrated Pichers
Bailey- because you can get him late and he coule perform like a mid round pitcher
Zito - see above
E Jackson- figured it out in the AL (sort of), moving back to the NL, usually that equals success - and he's going late
Kershaw- I think he'll be in the top tier of SP this year and give Lincecum a run for the Cy
Harden/Sheets/Bedard/Webb- If you can get them at a discount go for it. They will undoubtebly be hurt at some point, but their numbers while they are healthy added to the pitcher you get off waivers' numbers are usually very solid. People always overlook that...

Top 5 Overrated Pitchers
Vazquez- Just not the same in the AL, he's proved that over and over
Santana- is last years drop a sign of things to come?
J Weaver- Just because the team lost pitchers and he is now the ace doesn't mean he got any better, and he's being drafted as such
Cain- his sabermetric numbers indicate he's not as good as his numbers say (though he does it every year so who knows)
Carpenter- Talk about pitchers being risky, why would you spend such a high pick on a guy this risky. (he's not in the same boat as Harden/Sheets/etc. because he is being drafted based on his 2009 numbers, very unlikely to repeat IMO...
Bleachergm.blogspot.com
Captain Furtah
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby garf112 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:49 pm

DaSh 1s wrote:Vernon Wells barf.

barf all you want, but he should bounce back to .275, 85, 20, 80, 12 at least. I'd be surprised if he was completely done.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby KCollins1304 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:59 pm

garf112 wrote:
DaSh 1s wrote:Vernon Wells barf.

barf all you want, but he should bounce back to .275, 85, 20, 80, 12 at least. I'd be surprised if he was completely done.

He hasn't collectively put up that line in all those stats since 2006.
KCollins1304
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby garf112 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:04 pm

i still think he has the talent to do that. He had wrist surgery, so I think that was holding his power down last year.
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby kimchi_chigae » Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:38 pm

.275-85-20-80-12 for Wells is attainable, but I think it is unlikely to happen. He's on the wrong side of 30 and he was never that good to begin with. Unless you are getting Wells very late, I wouldn't bother because I don't see much upside to the pick. The Jays are rebuilding, Wells has a huge contract to live up to and his numbers have been declining last few years. I'd stay away.

EDIT: And he's a slow starter. I think a better strategy with Wells would be to let someone roster him in the beginning of the season and take a chance on someone with high upside in the draft. If Wells has a good season, fine, he won't likely put big numbers anyway, but if he is struggling and whoever drafted him decides to drop him, then keep and eye on him for June and July.
Free WR!
kimchi_chigae Beginner
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 608)

Postby Fade2White12 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 4:50 pm

Captain Furtah wrote:Top 5 Overrated Hitters
Reyes- kept pushing back his comeback date in 2009, whos to say he'll ever be 100% again - plus you have to spend a 2nd rounder on him, not me

I won't pass judgment on him until we hear more about his offseason and during ST. There was a reason he was a top-5 pick for several years. If reports from camp all come out glowing, I think I'd actually put him in the underrated category. At this point, however, I agree - I wouldn't take him this early if my draft were held today.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 72)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:01 pm

Captain Furtah wrote:Victor Martinez- if he bats 3rd and they keep him fresh by playing him at 1B and DH I think he outperforms his draft spot.

He's going to be drafted in the 2nd round in most leagues. I don't see how he outperforms that spot.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby bigken117 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:06 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
Captain Furtah wrote:Victor Martinez- if he bats 3rd and they keep him fresh by playing him at 1B and DH I think he outperforms his draft spot.

He's going to be drafted in the 2nd round in most leagues. I don't see how he outperforms that spot.

By putting up a line similar to 2007 again. But it's a big risk that early.

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers