Stephen Drew - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Stephen Drew

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Stephen Drew

Postby os_gamejunkie » Sun Jan 20, 2008 4:46 pm

Does anyone have any short/long term value for him? He's seems to have been forgotten about quite a bit due to last year's rookie class.
os_gamejunkie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Stephen Drew

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 6:49 pm

I'm guessing:

.285-90-20-80-10...he is being drafted around the 17th round, I will be looking for him in the 16th. ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Field » Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:48 pm

wkelly91 wrote:I'm guessing:

.285-90-20-80-10...he is being drafted around the 17th round, I will be looking for him in the 16th. ;-D

Absolutely. Although I think his ADP will rise as the season approaches. I forsee a very simliar year to what Tulo did in 2007 with a greater upside in the future.
Field
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby High Heater » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Drew has a much higher cieling then Tulo imo, was the higher rated prospect and showed more as a minor leaguer. his cup of coffee debut and the end of last year/playoffs was more inline of his abilities then his full season last year.

he's a good bet as a buy low right now.
High Heater
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 9:39 pm

Can you explain why you see such a big increase in Drew's runs and rbis? He had 60/60 last year in 619 PAs, so that kind of increase would seem to have to come from either a huge increase in the D'backs offense or Drew moving way up in the order from where he was last year.

I'm more conservative, not because I don't think Drew's good, but because I think it's pretty hard to accumulate that many runs and rbis unless you are batting 3-4-5 and miss no games for a team with the D'backs offensive projections. I'm looking for more like 70/15/65/10/.270
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby deerayfan072 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:12 pm

I think he is being drafted in a very good position to pick him up and take a chance on him finally coming through
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby wkelly91 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:35 pm

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Can you explain why you see such a big increase in Drew's runs and rbis? He had 60/60 last year in 619 PAs, so that kind of increase would seem to have to come from either a huge increase in the D'backs offense or Drew moving way up in the order from where he was last year.

I'm more conservative, not because I don't think Drew's good, but because I think it's pretty hard to accumulate that many runs and rbis unless you are batting 3-4-5 and miss no games for a team with the D'backs offensive projections. I'm looking for more like 70/15/65/10/.270

Drew missed 12+ games with a couple minor injuries. If he were to play half those games he could get on base 6-8 more times. If he increases his average to .285 that would add 26 hits. He showed signs of plate developement during the year as he had months where he had drawn more walks than K's, say he draws 10 more walks. I projected 20 homeruns versus his 12 last year. with the extra Homers, and hits he should be able to reach the 80 rbi's easy. The runs might be more of a stretch, but possible.

Of course it is all speculation...he could flop as well %-6 ...but I don't think so ;-D
wkelly91
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GotowarMissAgnes » Sun Jan 20, 2008 10:51 pm

Thanks. That split of 90 runs/80 RBIs is more consistent with a guy batting #3 in the order, so I wondered if you had some info on D'backs batting order. Guys who bat 5/6 like Drew some last year usually have more RBIs than runs, while guys batting 1/2, like he also did last year, usually have a much higher runs than rbis in the NL.
"I don't want to play golf. When I hit a ball, I want someone else to chase it."
GotowarMissAgnes
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy Expert

Postby talldarkandnerdy » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:58 am

GotowarMissAgnes wrote:Thanks. That split of 90 runs/80 RBIs is more consistent with a guy batting #3 in the order, so I wondered if you had some info on D'backs batting order. Guys who bat 5/6 like Drew some last year usually have more RBIs than runs, while guys batting 1/2, like he also did last year, usually have a much higher runs than rbis in the NL.

Keep in mind that if Drew were to actually start hitting well, he would probably be moved up in the order. Over 400 of his ABs last year were in the 1-2-5-6 holes.
talldarkandnerdy
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby acsguitar » Mon Jan 21, 2008 12:09 pm

High Heater wrote:Drew has a much higher cieling then Tulo imo, was the higher rated prospect and showed more as a minor leaguer. his cup of coffee debut and the end of last year/playoffs was more inline of his abilities then his full season last year.

he's a good bet as a buy low right now.

Not to bash Stephen but I think Tulo has shown he's as good a prospect considering he's younger and put up better numbers.

Arizona is a great hitters park as well. Both are going to be great in the future.

What do you mean cup of coffee debut last year?

He was up all season I'm pretty sure.

Either way I'd like to have Stephen or Tulo on my team. Most likely Tulo considering his size, power, and superior defense. Of course defense doesn't count in most fantasy leagues.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers