Jeremy Guthrie - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jeremy Guthrie

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jeremy Guthrie

Postby Bwanna » Thu May 24, 2007 9:54 am

What's everyone's take on this guy?

(I picked him up as a spot starter today vs Toronto instead of risking Bonderman's first start back from the DL.)
[reg season/playoffs]
LFoD '08 [1st/3rd], '10 [1st/3rd], '11 [1st/2nd], '12 [1st/1st], '13, [1st/2nd], '14, [1st/1st]
BRAL '09 2nd, '10 1st
Bwanna
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeInnovative MemberWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 244)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Nemyar » Thu May 24, 2007 10:08 am

He wouldn't throw me a ball the other day during BP, the jerk!

...But it's hard to stay mad at him when I look at what he's done this year on the mound. You could certainly do worse!
Nemyar
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 24, 2007 10:09 am

I could've sworn there was a post on this on Monday, but can't find it with the search (maybe hampstered?).

Anyway, so far he looks real nice Clark. I picked him up in my main league. His K/BB is skewed by his last start (10Ks, 0BB) and other than that he doesn't seem to strike out a lot of people, but he doesn't walk a lot either. He doesn't seem really hittable, he was once a highly touted guy and he's only 28. Maybe he's finally realizing his potential? He doesn't seem to have a huge upside, unless he can keep his Ks up like his last start. And possibly he's more a product of small sample size and/or hitters never seeing him before.

All in all, I'd grade him as Guarded Optimism. I'm starting him today, but that's mostly because I'm already down in ERA and WHIP this week thanks to Blanton and my opponent having a sub-2.0 ERA for the week.
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu May 24, 2007 11:03 am

Yeah this guy was drafted by the Indians way back when and was highly regarded as a top prospect. But after several failures in the minors he was let go this offseason with the orioles picking him up. He's been solid so far and I think the success should continue tonight vs the blue jays. Its not like the jays have a dominating offense and they are batting .240 vs righties while batting .290 vs lefties. At worst i think this guy will be a decent spot starter for now. Like was said before he doesn't usually strike a lot of people out but has great control. Ride the hot hand while it lasts... ;-D
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby godallahstar » Thu May 24, 2007 12:16 pm

he doesn't walk a lot?
great control?

how about looking at something other than his stats this year,
and maybe researching a little, before throwing out insight.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hot4tx » Thu May 24, 2007 12:22 pm

godallahstar wrote:he doesn't walk a lot?
great control?

Each of the replies stated something along the lines of "ride the hot hand", "small sample size", or "look what he's done this year." No one called him a world beater.

Why don't you try reading people's posts and taking them for what they're meant instead of being a jerk (edited by me)?

And I do enjoy the large amount of insight you added to this thread. Thanks for that. :-t
hot4tx
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 135)

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu May 24, 2007 12:43 pm

godallahstar wrote:he doesn't walk a lot?
great control?

I actually didn't really appreciate this comment dude. I'm pretty sure the cafe is for everyone to get together and pool useful information and not to tell people when they are wrong. If I made a mistake simply tell me so, and then why not instead of making me feel stupid actually show me something that might change my point of view. At a closer look i found this: He had a 3.1 BB/9 ratio. Not so hot. But hes shown much better command this year with a 1.75 BB/9. He was always regarded as a good prospect but now at the age of 28 he has yet to be successfull. If he can keep the command that hes shown this year I think he can continue to be successful, and at worst a solid spot starter. Like I said before i'm starting him today because the blue jays offense doesn't scare me and they bat worse against righties than lefties...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby godallahstar » Thu May 24, 2007 12:52 pm

no,
both of you implied he was a pitcher with good-great control.
when in reality that has always been one of his main issues.

he gets a good amount of groundballs, nothing amazing.
the finish of his delivery is a bit weird, seems like he gets his shoulder out there and his fastball has some nasty movement to the right, it sits in the low to mid 90's but he can put a little extra on it when he needs to, the highest i remember him working is 97/98.
his mid 80's breaking ball is real good and when he hits his spots i really don't see why he can't be a good strikeout pitcher, certainly not 9k/9ip but 6 sounds reasonable.

this is all really dependent on whether or not he's throwing strikes and avoiding piling up the walks, because no, he does not have great command, but maybe working with mazzone he's fixing this.
godallahstar
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Baseball Leftovers