HoF Discussion: Craig Biggio - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HoF Discussion: Craig Biggio

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

HoF Discussion: Craig Biggio

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:43 am

The discussion yesterday on Jeff Kent went pretty well, so I figure we ought to continue. I'll be back with my analysis tonight, if I get the chance. Busy as hell today...

'Everyone seems to have a pretty formed opinion one way or the other on who belongs, what makes them belong, what ballot they ought to be on, how much longer they have to play to be a 'lock', etc. etc.'

'So, have fun with it. Make your case. PLEASE do not be silly, or turn this into a flame war, and ruin what could be a lot of fun.'
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:57 am

I think it's very important that he gets to 300 hits. He should be able to get there if he plays next year, and that milestone isn't even a lock any more, but I think it will put him in.

The fact that he played a bunch of different positions over his career should help too.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby raiders_umpire » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:10 am

I think Biggio is in as well. He should get to 3000 hits next year, and that along with being the face of the Astros franchise in the 90s should get him in. He had a great run in the late 90s where he averaged 120 runs scored, 20 homers, 40 stolen bases, and a 300 average.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:14 am

Biggio and Kent (and Bagwell for that matter) are all guys that I wouldn't vote for, but I do think they will all end up getting in.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Tavish » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:19 am

teddy ballgame wrote:I think it's very important that he gets to 300 hits. He should be able to get there if he plays next year, and that milestone isn't even a lock any more, but I think it will put him in.

The fact that he played a bunch of different positions over his career should help too.

3000 Hits is still about as close to a lock as you can get. Palmerio is likely to be the only member of the club that won't get in and that is more due to outside factors than anything else. Only Raffy and Baines have more than 2800 hits and will likely not me in the Hall.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby Nerfherders » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:12 pm

Craig Biggio is a sure fire first ballot HoF lock. No question.

Bill James rated him as the best player in the 1990's. You can look that up.
Nerfherders
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
(Past Year: 4)

Postby ThatDude » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:29 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Craig Biggio is a sure fire first ballot HoF lock. No question.

If that's really true, then I just lost some measure respect for Bill James.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby DK » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:34 pm

Nerfherders wrote:Craig Biggio is a sure fire first ballot HoF lock. No question.

No he didn't, and I don't even have to look that up. :-? Bonds is the #1 player of the 1990s, easily. I'm pretty sure he had Biggio #2, though, and most deservedly, because Biggio was eternally underrated (he didn't put up the big flashy stats, but by the end of the year was more productive than most of the power hitters because he was so well-rounded).

Biggio's an easy HoF lock but definitely not the best player of the 1990s. That title belongs to Barry Bonds.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby giants! » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:38 pm

The way I see this question, I think it is asking does accumulating stats over thousands of at bats warrant a spot in the hall of fame?

I think Craig Biggio should be in the hall of fame but at the same time do not want to set a precedent for those that play 20 + seasons and reach career "milestones" like 3000 hits and 500 homers.
Id say put Biggio in on a later ballot and make the message clear that being only above average for 2 decades does not make one a lock for the hall.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Jul 11, 2006 12:39 pm

DK wrote:

No he didn't, and I don't even have to look that up. :-? Bonds is the #1 player of the 1990s, easily. I'm pretty sure he had Biggio #2, though, and most deservedly, because Biggio was eternally underrated (he didn't put up the big flashy stats, but by the end of the year was more productive than most of the power hitters because he was so well-rounded).

Biggio's an easy HoF lock but definitely not the best player of the 1990s. That title belongs to Barry Bonds.

James says Biggio #1 of the 90s. It's all win shares.

edit: This is the link that you want

The best active player in baseball at the turn of the decade? Craig Biggio. As only he can, James systematically proves that the Astros second baseman does so many things well other than hit home runs that he has consistently outplayed even Ken Griffey Jr. at his peak. And as only he can, James shows little patience with any detractors: "Craig Biggio is better. The fact that nobody seems to realize this ... well, that's not my problem."
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 277)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers