To all Nolan Ryan dissers... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball History

To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Postby johnsamo » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:43 pm

Did a little research... in one 8 year stretch, he threw 156 complete games, 40 of those shut outs. Yet the angels sucked so bad, on all but one of those years, he had fewer wins than complete games. Think about that. more complete games than wins.

I'm telling you, the guy was snakebit when it cames to his offense. The Angels were so bad back then, they had to retire Bobby Grich's number. Not that Grich was a bum, but he really only had one great season, but they had to pick some hitter from that era to honor.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:45 pm

johnsamo wrote:Did a little research... in one 8 year stretch, he threw 156 complete games, 40 of those shut outs. Yet the angels sucked so bad, on all but one of those years, he had fewer wins than complete games. Think about that. more complete games than wins.

I'm telling you, the guy was snakebit when it cames to his offense. The Angels were so bad back then, they had to retire Bobby Grich's number. Not that Grich was a bum, but he really only had one great season, but they had to pick some hitter from that era to honor.

Who would diss the all time K master? If you ask any baseball analyst or someone know hows baseball Nolan Ryan would be in their top 1 (actually top 5).
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bigken117 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:45 pm

dont let Tavish see this thread :-o

Jacoby Ellsbury - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!

Play Pick 3!

Follow the Cafe on Twitter!
Like us on Facebook
bigken117
Bouncer
Bouncer

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 254)

Postby great gretzky » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:48 pm

bears repeating, he punked robin ventura SO bad. One of my favorite sporting incidents ever. I love handing out the ventura award to acts that are majorly sissy. Ryan just put him down, it was great.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:51 pm

Back then pitchers had much more of a tedndency to finish what they started, It is only in relatively recent history with the LaRussa-ian closer for one inning and 5 man rotations and 100 pitch counts that all the coddling of SPs came into voigue and the CG went by the wayside.

I do not think counting Ryan's CGs really means a whole lot. That he played for some very bad teams obviously factors in quite a bit.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:57 pm

Over-Rated.
Nolan Ryan was a great pitcher but he doesn't belong in anyone's top 5. Way too many walks.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby LouisC9999 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:59 pm

I was rooting for him to win the Cy Young in 1987 when he led the league in Ks (270) and ERA (2.76) but had an 8-16 record.
LouisC9999
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rentz » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:13 pm

great gretzky wrote:bears repeating, he punked robin ventura SO bad. One of my favorite sporting incidents ever. I love handing out the ventura award to acts that are majorly sissy. Ryan just put him down, it was great.

i was at that game ;-D
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby TheYanks04 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:18 pm

rentz wrote:
great gretzky wrote:bears repeating, he punked robin ventura SO bad. One of my favorite sporting incidents ever. I love handing out the ventura award to acts that are majorly sissy. Ryan just put him down, it was great.

i was at that game ;-D

Ventura is never going to live that down.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Re: To all Nolan Ryan dissers...

Postby mak1277 » Tue Jun 13, 2006 11:32 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
johnsamo wrote:Did a little research... in one 8 year stretch, he threw 156 complete games, 40 of those shut outs. Yet the angels sucked so bad, on all but one of those years, he had fewer wins than complete games. Think about that. more complete games than wins.

Who would diss the all time K master? If you ask any baseball analyst or someone know hows baseball Nolan Ryan would be in their top 1 (actually top 5).

This was actually done this year (with only living pitchers) and Ryan didn't rank in the top 5...I think he was actually outside the top 10 if I remember correctly.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Next

Return to Baseball History