YES Streaming vs. MLB.tv - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to New York Yankees

YES Streaming vs. MLB.tv

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

YES Streaming vs. MLB.tv

Postby mkultra » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:33 pm

Has anyone signed up for the YES streaming package through your cable company, or used it last year?

How does it work with MLB.tv? Does it just "unlock" the blackout restriction or is it a completely separate service? I'm just wondering if this will let me watch in-market Yankees games on my PS3 (which runs MLB.tv).
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: YES Streaming vs. MLB.tv

Postby stevenest » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:33 am

Never heard of it ... from where can I get it?
stevenest
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby Lofunzo » Tue May 17, 2011 12:57 am

I have Cablevision and saw this offered. I researched it very little but I believe that it has nothing to do with MLB.tv. It is my understanding that you need to subscribe to both TV and internet service through the cable company and be within the YES market. If you qualify, you can stream the games on your "computer". I would think that you could somehow use your PS3 but I don't know for sure.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby mkultra » Tue May 17, 2011 12:32 pm

Here's what it is- if you have MLB.tv, you can't watch local games because of blackout restrictions. Here in NYC, the Yanks and Mets each have their own cable tv station that shows all but (usually) one game per week- the other is carried by a local broadcast affiliate (sometimes ESPN, but that's another story). So even with an antenna, you can't watch local games unless they happen to be the one-game-a-week that's broadcast OTA.

YES (the Yankees station) offers a side service that streams these in-market games through the same MLB.tv web interface as out-of-market games. It basically "unlocks" them through the web. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the same thing through any of the "app" versions of MLB.tv (PS3, iPhone, Roku, etc.). Only web, so you don't get full 1080 resolution.

It's kind of berzerk- they offer this service to watch Yankees games on a device other than your TV, but only offer it to people who are already paying to get it on their TV. For an extra cost, no less. :-S
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby CrazyC » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:06 pm

Does anyone know of a way to get this to work on an iPhone or iPad?
CrazyC
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby mkultra » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:05 pm

The At-Bat app works with your MLB.tv subscription, but doesn't honor the "in-market" add-ons like YES offers. You'd need a way to figure out how to spoof your location (not just IP, I believe the app uses geotagging) on your phone.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 am

mkultra wrote:Here's what it is- if you have MLB.tv, you can't watch local games because of blackout restrictions. Here in NYC, the Yanks and Mets each have their own cable tv station that shows all but (usually) one game per week- the other is carried by a local broadcast affiliate (sometimes ESPN, but that's another story). So even with an antenna, you can't watch local games unless they happen to be the one-game-a-week that's broadcast OTA.

YES (the Yankees station) offers a side service that streams these in-market games through the same MLB.tv web interface as out-of-market games. It basically "unlocks" them through the web. Unfortunately, it doesn't do the same thing through any of the "app" versions of MLB.tv (PS3, iPhone, Roku, etc.). Only web, so you don't get full 1080 resolution.

It's kind of berzerk- they offer this service to watch Yankees games on a device other than your TV, but only offer it to people who are already paying to get it on their TV. For an extra cost, no less. :-S

Yeah it is basically good only for people traveling a lot with a laptop. Can't be a very large customer base.

MLB TV does not want to compete with the local cable and sat providers is really what it comes down to. In fact I do not understand the point of the whole mlb.tv product in general. You can get MLB Xtra Innings for out of market games so again, why pay extra to have it streamed to your computer at an additional charge unless again you are traveling a lot with your laptop or on assignment somewhere for your job for awhile or are somehow allowed to watch the ballgame while you work and want to stream out of market games to your phone lol.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 667)

Postby SecretAgentMan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 5:17 am

mkultra wrote:Here's what it is- if you have MLB.tv, you can't watch local games because of blackout restrictions. Here in NYC, the Yanks and Mets each have their own cable tv station that shows all but (usually) one game per week- the other is carried by a local broadcast affiliate (sometimes ESPN, but that's another story). So even with an antenna, you can't watch local games unless they happen to be the one-game-a-week that's broadcast OTA.

Yeah it is basically good only for people traveling a lot with a laptop. Can't be a very large customer base.

MLB TV does not want to compete with the local cable and sat providers is really what it comes down to. In fact I do not understand the point of the whole mlb.tv product in general. You can get MLB Xtra Innings for out of market games so again, why pay extra to have it streamed to your computer at an additional charge unless again you are traveling a lot with your laptop or on assignment somewhere for your job for awhile or are somehow allowed to watch the ballgame while you work and want to stream out of market games to your phone lol.
SecretAgentMan
General Manager
General Manager

Response TeamFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 667)

Return to New York Yankees