20 team League. Help me make changes? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

20 team League. Help me make changes? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

20 team League. Help me make changes? WHIR

Postby skywalker14 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:07 pm

I am currently 8th in a 20 team league where only FOUR teams make the playoffs!

It is a 12 category. Hitting stats are, R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, SLG, and pitching stats are IP, QS, SV, ERA, WHIP & K/9.

Here is my roster
C - Joe Mauer
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Alexie Ramirez
2B/SS - Dustin Ackley
1B/3B - Mike Aviles
OF - Jayson Werth
OF - Matt Kemp
OF - Leonys Martin
OF - Michael Brantley
OF - Oscar Taveras
UTIL - Kolten Wong
BENCH: Shane Victorino; Derek Norris

SP - Madison Bumgarner
SP - R.A. Dickey
SP - Garrett Richards
SP - Josh Beckett
SP - Matt Garza
SP - Drew Smyly
SP - Ryan Vogelsong
SP - Marcus Stroman
SP - Miguel Gonzalez (currently on DL)
SP - James Paxton (currently on DL)
DL - Michael Pineda

I don't have any RP. I am punting SV's. I haven't dropped Gonzalez or Paxton, because there's not much on the wire. I think my team will be better when they are healthy.

I need to make a few moves. What should I do? What players should i trade? What are my strengths? My weaknesses? I'll take any help I can get!

I WILL help in return! Just leave a link! THANKS!!! And Good luck to you all!
skywalker14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Response Team
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Re: 20 team League. Help me make changes? WHIR

Postby JohnnyBaseball » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:17 pm

I'm guessing your staff has changed! Update this, and I'll write it up today/tomorrow.
JohnnyBaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby skywalker14 » Fri Jun 27, 2014 6:24 pm

Roster has changed, but very minimally,

C - Derek Norris
1B - Paul Goldschmidt
2B - Gordon Beckham
3B - Pablo Sandoval
SS - Alexie Ramirez
2B/SS - Dustin Ackley
1B/3B - Joe Mauer
OF - Jayson Werth
OF - Matt Kemp
OF - Leonys Martin
OF - Michael Brantley
OF - Brandon Guyer
UTIL - Ryan Doumit
BENCH: Shane Victorino; Oscar Taveras; Kolten Wong

SP - Madison Bumgarner
SP - R.A. Dickey
SP - Garrett Richards
SP - Josh Beckett
SP - Matt Garza
SP - Drew Smyly
SP - Ryan Vogelsong
SP - Marcus Stroman
SP - Ubaldo Jimenez
DL -James Paxton

FYI - Guyer was a pick up for today's double header, and Doumit was a pickup for tomorrows double header. Just trying to get a few extra stats :) ... But really feeling like i need to make a few moves. But not sure how to proceed.
skywalker14
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Response Team
(Past Year: 63)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby JohnnyBaseball » Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:47 pm

quick reply!

C I like Norrris, and with a .300 avg from a C this year, no complaints!
1B I won't take up a page writing about how great Goldy is, although I could.
2B Beckham... I'm guessing your not doing so well because there are a few guys here you could have given up on but decided not to, this includes Beckham. Although, going forward, in the long run, this was a good idea. I do like Beckham. I'm not mad.
3B PABLOOO lost like 100 pounds or whatever so that's good for him... as a person. Maybe he'll live like another 10 years. That does nothing for you now though. Lonnie Chisenhall has 70 less at bats, and more points this year than Pablo. I never really liked the guy, and I like to stay away from the free swinging HR or K type of guys. Like Pedro Alvarez, or Sandoval a couple years ago. But now, what does Pablo bring to the table? Nothing. He doesn't the crushing weight to hit it into the gaps this year. Or maybe, he doesn't feel the pressure to hit it as hard since he can make it 1B a little faster. Whatever it is, I don't like it. His BA is 30 points down. He lost a point for every pound he lost. Plus, why have a guy on the team that grounded into double plays 19 times last season. He's on pace for more this season. Not my cup of tea.
SS Alexie Ramirez - the guy's face looks super weird, like it's too big for his head. I think his numbers are not too big for his playing. He had a couple hot months, which "analysts" will say are puffing his numbers. But I think you have a SS betting .300 that has the privilege of betting behind Abreu/Dunn. Lot's of chances for getting more strikes / hitting with players in scoring position / hitting after the pitcher just got blasted in the face and is noticeably shaking on the mound from a 450ft shot off Abreu. Anyway, I like him.
2b/SS Ackley - only hitting 222, and usually this is a good spot for a high average guy. Plus he's hitting in Seattle. All around, not my fave.
1B/3B Mauer - Boom! Mauer doesn't suck, and he still gets that C position. You're actually deep at catcher, and I would consider trading Norris while his numbers are pretty good, and moving Mauer to C.
And then we have the OF...Werth and Kemp. Not great picks buddy. Maybe they had an up year, but they were destined for the basement since spring training. I think if anyone can do it Kemp can make it back to form. Remember when Kemp was supposed to be like the future of OF? like high Avg and big HR an steal bases. Ahhh 2011 doesn't seem like that long ago. Keep him. Maybe he can start to see the end of his contract drawing near, and will decide to start playing baseball.
That brings us to Leonys Martin and Brantley. I group them together for no reason. Stark Opposites. Actually, I take that back. I grouped them together because you should trade them together. For a better player. Or at least one that can be counted on for the second half. Martin is not great and Brantley could easily have a terrible second half. It happens to players that are outperforming themselves all the time. Sell now! If you have actually read this, I would take you back to Mauer. Trade Norris, Brantley, Martin for a bomb 1B. Or Mauer Brantley Martin if you want to think more realistically. There are lots of OF out on that wire, and there are lots of guys coming up from the minors so just trade away your dangerous OF and upgrade other places. I know that last year OF's were harder to come by but we have seen an explosion and it's times to move these guys before Brantley or Mauer or Norris decide to bend over.
I don't know who Brandon Guyer is. OK so I do know who he is, but like why is he on your roster. I get that he was ok in the minors. But I think you are being a little jumpy on the trigger, no? .279 in the first week and he's being called "the hot hand" on the rays. The Rays are terrible. IDK maybe you are a Rays fan. In that case, HA! I'm a Yankees fan. 12 games out? Are you giving up on your season already? BOOM! JK but The Rays can't hit, and Guyer is a flash in the pan, and not a bright one at that.
Also, you can get a better player than Doumit can't you? You are already deep on Doumit. Trade him if you think he's valuable in your league, but he's hitting .200.

Pitching -

BUM's an ACE
Dickey is no Cy Young winner, but he'll get some wins from that lineup.
Garrett Richards! I actually drafted him as a sleeper, betting on the fact that last year he was ok, and the Angels have a great lineup. What a winner! The man! Guy throws like a rocket too.
Beckett surprises, he's hanging in there. But he is crazy old. I'd trade him while he's hot. He can be pretty because of what he's done, and he's on the bangin Dodgers, but he won't hold up all season. His velocity is already dipping. Remember when Johan Santana was getting older, and then he threw that perfect game? I watched the last 3-4 innings, and you could tell he left everything on that field. He knew he'd never get that chance again and would also never pitch like he did after that. I know that they are two different guys. But Beckett will continue to get tired, and will get shelled most likely during the playoff push, or worse, right during the playoffs. Trade him now and move up! And I'm not just saying that because he was on the Red Sox for so long. I do hate him though.
Garza - solid middle talent
Smyly - I'm glad you still have him too. I believed he'd turn it around after a few bad starts, and BANG BANG! Homie's killin it. Look for him to do that more.
Vogelsong/Stroman/Ubaldo - I like where your head's at. I'm all about pitchers being terrible and losing your week, or being great and winning your week. These guys do just that. Although, these in particular tend to lean more towards the losing it for your team side. Maybe just drop these guys? I like Tillman, Bud Norris, Cosart, Worley, A Wood ( who just moved out of the bullpen) etc much better

Here's mine!

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=470158
JohnnyBaseball
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team