Can I defend my league trophy? WHIR! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Can I defend my league trophy? WHIR!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can I defend my league trophy? WHIR!

Postby Spirit29 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:43 pm

Hey yall,

I'm not looking for an extensive analysis here - having done this for 5 years now I (hopefully) have the hang of things now. Just tell me how my team looks, any glaring holes, and please rate out of a 100 overall. Thanks!

FORMAT: Yahoo 12-team mixed league, H2H scoring system

C - Yadier Molina
1B - Edwin Encarnacion
2B - Brandon Phillips
3B - Chase Headley*
SS - Alcides Escobar
OF (4) - Mike Trout (Keeper), Andrew McCutchen (keeper), Carlos Beltran, Ichiro
Util (2) - Emilio Bonifacio, Starling Marte
Bench (2) - Michael Young, Garrett Jones
NA (Minors) - Yasiel Puig

SP (3) - DAvid Price (keeper), Yu Darvish, Doug Fister
P (3) - Lance Lynn, Matt Harrison, AJ Griffin
RP (2) - Jim Johnson, Ernesto Fieri

Whatcha think! WHIR!
Spirit29
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Can I defend my league trophy? WHIR!

Postby jbird669 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:31 am

I think you have a good shot at defending that trophy. I love the OF save for Ichiro, but I think Marte will easily help there. Can't argue about the arms. I think you're in a good place.

Help me? viewtopic.php?t=457024
Baseball is a game where a curve is an optical illusion, a screwball can be a pitch or a person, stealing is legal and you can spit anywhere you like except in the umpire's eye or on the ball. ~Jim Murray
jbird669
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Swept Away » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:39 am

Looks solid. It's good that you have Young to fill in for Headley while he's hurt, but I would see if you could upgrade over Young at 3B. I think Headley played a little over his head last year so you may want to find someone more dependable there and then you could trade Headley when he's back.

Please help: http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=457025
Swept Away
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 7)

Postby jsally430 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:19 pm

Looks really good. I think you're going to be competing in for a top seed in the playoffs.
jsally430
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 14)

Postby Choptoberfest » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:10 pm

Love your OF and pitching staff. Not crazy about your IF, but it being a deeper league, and the quality of you OF, I think you will be just fine.
Choptoberfest
College Coach
College Coach

Postby ZiggyZiggington » Mon Mar 25, 2013 10:39 pm

Well i'd take your lineup over mine any day haha. Your OF is pretty studly, especially Marte if he can build on what he did after he came up last season and avoid that whole "sophomore slump" thing. I'd say the same for Trout but, yeah, its Trout. Your infield is probably as good as you could have hoped for given you had to draft them all. Headly may come back to earth a little bit, but he's as good as anyone else in that position, he just gets a bad wrap for being on such a bad team. I like your rotation save for Lynn, I had him last year and it was amazing, but I think towards the end of the season we saw the kind of pitcher he really was. Idk, he's just kind of a coin toss. But Harrison and Griffen were both great pickups last season, I don't expect anything less from them this season.

Pitching-80/100
Offense-75/100

Go get that trophy man.
ZiggyZiggington
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby KrazyA428 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:06 am

Thanks for your help with my question.

Offense looks good for a 12 teamer, I think Encarnacion will regress, but he should still be able to give you 30+ HR. I just wouldn't bank on 40. Phillips is steady, and I think Escobar was actually a really nice sleeper pick for you here. OF is obviously awesome and Martre is a trendy pick to break out this year.

Pitching - I like all of your starters. Price and Darvish will rack up K's, and every staff needs guys like Fister and Harrison to eat up solid innings. AJ Griffin is a good bet, too (I'm basically just starting to trust every pitcher that the A's throw out there).

Overall, not many holes that I see. May need to shore up your other utility spot (I'm not crazy about Bonifacio). Good luck defending your league title.
KrazyA428
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 4)

Postby luso26 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 11:05 am

If Beltran manages to survive this season & Marte lives up to that hype, your OF is going to be deadly. It's got a nice mix of power & speed. I'm not crazy in love with your infield, but it looks good none the less.

As far as the pitching Price has got the potential to be a CY winner. Yu is only gonna continue to improve. 2 very strong pitchers to anchor your staff. The rest I am not feeling too excited about. I think Matt Harrison will regress & watch out when he plays the Angels. Lynn is another guy that played a little over his head as well. I like the upside with AJ Griffin. Be careful with your closers. Expect some regression from Jim Johnson. Baltimore were first last season in wins by 1 run - so there was a ton of save opportunities for him. It's not gonna happen that way again. And he played over his head as well. We will see how long Ernesto can keep that closer spot. Dont expect him to have a long leash. Towards the end of last season he struggled & they got impatient and a committee was developed. I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen again.

Stay active on the wire for pitchers & you should stay & be competitive. Goodluck!
luso26
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 8)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team