2013 Keepers: Sale or Segura? WHIR - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

2013 Keepers: Sale or Segura? WHIR

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

2013 Keepers: Sale or Segura? WHIR

Postby exm » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:41 pm

I am keeping A Jones, Y Puig, E Encarnacion and J Upton. That's 4/5 of my keepers in a Yahoo H2H league.

My last keeper is between Pedroia, Sale or Segura. Pedroia is on the decline (I'll hopefully can draft Gyorko instead), so my last keeper is either Sale or Segura. I was really leaning towards Segura earlier, but his second half decline scares me.

Who would you keep? Will Segura basically be a 5th rounder? Will Sale be? I won the league this year, so I'll be drafting last (16th) so I know Sale will be gone when I have my first draft pick. Maybe Segura won't be? The only thing I have against Sale is that he actually stank up my Championship round. Although Segura wasn't even around. :)

Thanks and WHIR.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 79)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: 2013 Keepers: Sale or Segura? WHIR

Postby fast dogs » Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:33 pm

Pedroia will be a 3rd round pick and my pick here. Segura if you absolutely won't go Pedroia. 2nd base is still the weakest position in my mind and I wouldn't be tossing Pedroa aside here. He had a pretty gritty season after tearing a ligament in his thumb. Sox thought he must not be on the decline signing him for 8 more years; seems like he's been around forever but he just turned 30
I wouldn't take Sale here for sure, Pedroia makes my list then deciding between Segura & a 3rd OF in J Up
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby rjforlife » Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 pm

I would not keep Justin Upton, no way. I would keep: Jones/Puig/E5/Pedroia/Segura. That way you have two outfielders and 3/4 of your infield covered, it's a great core for a team. Just draft Upton if you really like him, but I wouldn't keep him over any of that bunch, his inconsistency is awful in a H2H league.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 748)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:03 pm

I would keep:
1b E5
SS Segura
OF Puig, Jones, Upton

Trade Pedroia for some extra early picks and get Gyorko a big time power threat at 2b in the draft if you can.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1953)

Postby exm » Tue Oct 08, 2013 7:15 pm

MadDog36 wrote:I would keep:
1b E5
SS Segura
OF Puig, Jones, Upton

Trade Pedroia for some extra early picks and get Gyorko a big time power threat at 2b in the draft if you can.

Thanks (again!) for the help. This particular league doesn't really trade, so that won't happen. Having that in mind, would you still keep Segura over Pedroia or Sale?

I am amazed how many people are giving up on J-Up. Sure, he had a down year but he has first round potential. And although his numbers were disappointing, he still ended up with 27HR/70RBI/.263AVG/8SB. As far as I'm concerned, these numbers can only improve and a 30HR/100RBI/.280AVG/20SB season might not be unrealistic.

On a side note, I also own J Heyward but I don't see him getting himself in my keeper conversation.
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby fast dogs » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:08 pm

"J-Up. Sure, he had a down year but he has first round potential"
He already HAS been a 1st rounder, the avg is down, the sb's are down; you already have 2 OF. Gyorko is fine but theres 15 other guys who know 2nd base is weak and if they don't have 1 of the top guys he'll go fairly early. I don't see how you can go into the draft saying I'm going to get such and such a guy unless you have an early pick and similar options that will still be available. A 3rd OF is alot easier to find than a first 2nd basemen. Based on your other keepers I'd much prefer to fill your middle infielders with studs rather than 60% of your keepers from the OF
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 300)

Postby toledomudhens » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:34 am

exm wrote:I am keeping A Jones, Y Puig, E Encarnacion and J Upton. That's 4/5 of my keepers in a Yahoo H2H league.

My last keeper is between Pedroia, Sale or Segura. Pedroia is on the decline (I'll hopefully can draft Gyorko instead), so my last keeper is either Sale or Segura. I was really leaning towards Segura earlier, but his second half decline scares me.

Who would you keep? Will Segura basically be a 5th rounder? Will Sale be? I won the league this year, so I'll be drafting last (16th) so I know Sale will be gone when I have my first draft pick. Maybe Segura won't be? The only thing I have against Sale is that he actually stank up my Championship round. Although Segura wasn't even around. :)

Thanks and WHIR.

Jones, E5, Puig, Segura and pedroia....second base and short stop are to shallow to let those 2 go back...good luck ;-D
toledomudhens
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 200)

Postby Mean One » Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:02 pm

rjforlife wrote:I would not keep Justin Upton, no way. I would keep: Jones/Puig/E5/Pedroia/Segura. That way you have two outfielders and 3/4 of your infield covered, it's a great core for a team. Just draft Upton if you really like him, but I wouldn't keep him over any of that bunch, his inconsistency is awful in a H2H league.

Agree as well.
Mean One
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Element » Fri Oct 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Mean One wrote:
rjforlife wrote:I would not keep Justin Upton, no way. I would keep: Jones/Puig/E5/Pedroia/Segura. That way you have two outfielders and 3/4 of your infield covered, it's a great core for a team. Just draft Upton if you really like him, but I wouldn't keep him over any of that bunch, his inconsistency is awful in a H2H league.

Agree as well.

Agreed as well. I am done with J-Up. I'd feel pretty good with that MI.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 757)

Postby exm » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Wow, thanks all for the feedback. It's amazing everyone values Pedroia over J Up
exm
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions