Keeper League - 2014 Keepers & Off Season Game Plan - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

Keeper League - 2014 Keepers & Off Season Game Plan

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Keeper League - 2014 Keepers & Off Season Game Plan

Postby Knights » Thu Oct 03, 2013 7:30 pm

I’m in a 16-team, 6x6 H2H keeper league where we keep 6 players each season. I finished in 3rd place this season and feel I have the pieces to continue to compete. My roster is listed below.

I’m looking for help in devising my off-season plan-of-attack in a couple areas:

1) Who are my 6 keepers for 2014?
I’m thinking I need to keep Dustin Pedroia, Hanley Ramirez, Shin-Soo Choo, Jay Bruce, Madison Bumgarner and 1 of Johnny Cueto(for 2 SP)/Brett Lawrie(3B is shallow)/Hunter Pence(but I already have Bruce and want to keep my younger power hitter, so leaning more towards trading Pence)

2) What trade targets could I look at to upgrade my keepers?
First and foremost, I’m hoping to try to trade a couple of my extra pieces to one of the worst teams to obtain the 1st or 2nd overall pick in the draft so that I could theoretically get to keep 7 of my own players (or nab a surprise non-keeper from another team). I hope to try to get one of these top picks for a pair out of the following: Pence, Cueto, Lawrie, or at the lower end of potential keeper options Peralta (based on positional needs), Rizzo (potential), Gordon, Beachy (potential).

Secondly, with 3B being as shallow as it is I’d like to try and upgrade on 3B. But 3B being as shallow as it is, I figure Lawrie will have to be part of the package going back since anyone currently owning a top 3B presumably won’t want to be left without a 3B. I could also try to sell them on Lawrie’s 2B-eligibility as well as he can cover 2 of the shallower positions. Problem is finding a trading partner… obviously Miggy is not getting dealt, and the David Wright owner has Profar and Rendon who he’s talking about keeping for 2B/3B/SS so likely no interest in Lawrie. So that puts me at Longoria (injury issues) or Beltre (age concerns) as the last top 3B. Is there any realistic chance of acquiring a top 3B?

Given the two options above, my ideal situation would be along the lines of trading Pence and 1 of Rizzo/Peralta/Gordon/Beachy for the #1 overall pick, and then trading Lawrie and 1 of Rizzo/Peralta/Gordon/Beachy for either Longoria or Beltre (as I type that, I’d probably have to target Beltre and sell the other owner of Lawrie’s youth for long-term potential over Beltre), and then keeping Pedroia, Hanley, Choo, Bruce, Bumgarner and whichever 3B I acquire by trade and drafting either Cueto or a surprise high-end non-kept player #1 overall.

In conclusion... All of this is VERY optimistic thinking, I know. But how much of the above could be realistic, and/or what other course of action or players to target should I be looking at this off-season?

Here’s my roster going into the off-season:

C Jonathan Lucroy (Mil - C,1B)
1B Anthony Rizzo (ChC - 1B)
2B Dustin Pedroia (Bos - 2B)
3B Brett Lawrie (Tor - 2B,3B)
SS Hanley Ramírez (LAD - 3B,SS)
LF Alex Gordon (KC - LF)
CF Shin-Soo Choo (Cin - CF,RF)
RF Jay Bruce (Cin - RF)
Util Hunter Pence (SF - RF)
BN Jhonny Peralta (Det - SS)
BN Matt Adams (StL - 1B)

SP Madison Bumgarner (SF - SP)
SP Johnny Cueto (Cin - SP)
SP Ubaldo Jiménez (Cle - SP)
SP José Quintana (CWS - SP)
RP Jim Henderson (Mil - RP)
RP LaTroy Hawkins (NYM - RP)
P Pedro Strop (ChC - RP)
BN Jarrod Parker (Oak - SP)
BN A.J. Griffin (Oak - SP)
BN Kyle Lohse (Mil - SP)
BN Hiroki Kuroda (NYY - SP)
DL Brandon Beachy (Atl - SP)
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Keeper League - 2014 Keepers & Off Season Game Plan

Postby rjforlife » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:12 am

Pedroia/Hanley/Choo/Bruce/Pence and Bumgarner are a pretty clear top six. You could argue for Gordon/Rizzo/Adams, but I would stick with the more proven guys.

I think if you want to trade, you could use Rizzo to get a top pick, although if you could get something for Adams, I'd certainly consider that a strong positive. Same goes for Gordon, I just think Rizzo is the most likely to get you a deal.

Thanks for looking at mine, maybe we'll both end up rooting for old Bumgarner next year.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Postby stlcards02 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:29 am

Pedroia
Choo
Bruce
Hanley
Pence
Bumgarner

Seems solid to me. And I agree with rj, Rizzo should draw interest for those early picking teams I would think. Toss an email their way and feel it out. In those deeper leagues, I find it pretty tough to swing trades for those shallower positions, I feel your pain there. Doesn't hurt to offer something up!
stlcards02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:59 am

rjforlife wrote:Pedroia/Hanley/Choo/Bruce/Pence and Bumgarner are a pretty clear top six.
;-D ;-D

I'd see what you could get for Choo or Pence. Both had really strong seasons and are on the wrong side of 30.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 337)

Postby redsoxsucker » Fri Oct 04, 2013 1:13 pm

the first 6 are spot on...I would personally grab cueto or lawrie over pence. I love Cueto but likley would end up keeping Lawrie...seems like he might still have some growth there to me. I also think you migt be able to drum up interest packaging Jimenez into whatever trade packages you pu tout there after his bounce back year
A-Rod is a little B*tch
[img]C:\Personal\Pictures\Sox%20Game%20and%20Jenn\cubssox%20marquee.jpg[/img]
redsoxsucker
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 21)

Postby sman79 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:06 pm

rjforlife wrote:Pedroia/Hanley/Choo/Bruce/Pence and Bumgarner are a pretty clear top six. You could argue for Gordon/Rizzo/Adams, but I would stick with the more proven guys.

Chalk up another vote for these six.

Please help with mine: viewtopic.php?t=464242
sman79
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 11)

Postby Knights » Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:25 pm

So far the clear consensus is that Pence in my 6th keeper... but how much of a factor should it be that both he and Jay Bruce are only RF-eligible?

It took me a year and a half in this league to acquire a true power hitter when I got Bruce mid-season this year, and since Bruce is younger too he is my preferred RF keeper. But I expected there to be a bit more backing for Cueto as an ace if he can remain heathy. Am I worrying too much about positions with keepers than production?

I also worry that Pence's trade value will never be higher than it is now, which is why I was considering as a big trade chip this off season. If I were to try trading Pence for a 3B, how would you rank the following: Adrian Beltre, Evan Longoria and David Wright? I feel that Beltre doesn't necessairly get his due in fantasy, but how concerned should I be about his age despite his steady production for many years now?
Knights
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 28)

Postby stlcards02 » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:22 pm

Knights wrote:
I also worry that Pence's trade value will never be higher than it is now, which is why I was considering as a big trade chip this off season. If I were to try trading Pence for a 3B, how would you rank the following: Adrian Beltre, Evan Longoria and David Wright? I feel that Beltre doesn't necessairly get his due in fantasy, but how concerned should I be about his age despite his steady production for many years now?

I have no problem with this thinking; it'd be smart to see what he could net you. Paired up with some of the other non-keepers, you might be able to swing something.
stlcards02
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 31)

Postby MadDog36 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Well guess what I'm in the minority here. I would definitely keep a big power hitting 1b in Adams. He's a better more polished hitter than

1B Matt Adams (StL - 1B)
RF Jay Bruce (Cin - RF)
SP Brandon Beachy (Atl - SP)

If you can move Cueto/Rizzo/Lawrie for Longoria I would jump all over that...

You already have Bruce in RF so Pence gets thrown back. If you manage to make a trade, then Longoria would fill Beachy's spot obviously and be a great addition to your team.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 1942)

Postby rjforlife » Fri Nov 01, 2013 1:35 pm

MadDog36 wrote:Well guess what I'm in the minority here. I would definitely keep a big power hitting 1b in Adams. He's a better more polished hitter than

1B Matt Adams (StL - 1B)
RF Jay Bruce (Cin - RF)
SP Brandon Beachy (Atl - SP)

If you can move Cueto/Rizzo/Lawrie for Longoria I would jump all over that...

You already have Bruce in RF so Pence gets thrown back. If you manage to make a trade, then Longoria would fill Beachy's spot obviously and be a great addition to your team.

Adams has been exposed and has a nagging elbow injury. Want to update? I'm just a Cardinals fan and am not too hopeful for Adams next season, he has no discipline and cannot hit a breaking ball.
Goldy is King.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions