What to do with Cameron Maybin? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

What to do with Cameron Maybin?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What to do with Cameron Maybin?

Postby Ellsberries » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:18 pm

Alright, some basic info:
I am in a 9 team, NL only rotisserie league. I am tied for second and only a couple points behind first. I have a surplus of steals and saves, and have a fairly comfortable lead in both of those categories (about 10). I am losing a lot of points in wins and batting average though. Everything else is in the 6-8 range. Here is my lineup:

I have five outfield slots, 9 for pitchers, and a utility role. Our roto categories are R,HR,RBI,SB,BA,W,SO,ERA,WHIP,SV

Wilin Rosario, C Ike Davis, 1B Dan Uggla, 2B Pablo Sandoval, 3B Jed Lowrie, SS, 3B Rafael Furcal, SS Ryan Braun, OF Michael Morse, 1B, OF Cameron Maybin, OF Melky Cabrera, OF Gregor Blanco, OF J.D. Martinez, OF Drew Stubbs*, OF

Pitchers: Jonathan Papelbon, Phi RP Johnny Cueto, Cin SP Ricky Nolasco, Mia SP Aroldis Chapman, Cin RP Chad Billingsley, LAD SP Heath Bell, Mia RP Tim Hudson, Atl SP, Josh Johnson, MIA SP, Dillon Gee, NYM SP, Cliff Lee, Phi SP Matt Garza, ChC SP,

What is Maybin's potential in an NL only league? I'm just benching him right now since I am losing so many points in average anyway. I'm thinking of dropping him and having a revolving door for guys that can help my average. Thoughts?

Just leave a link and I'll help you with yours.
Thanks!
Ellsberries
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: What to do with Cameron Maybin?

Postby fish72292 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:43 pm

You said you have a surplus in steals so you can afford to cut him. He is very hard to cut though I feel your pain. Then again his splits last year were crazy. He stole 28 bags in the last three months last year. Maybe hold a bit longer he wont hurt you on your bench for now.

Help with mine:
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449775
fish72292
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 1)

Postby mcmbpd » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:57 pm

Uuuggggh, Maybin has been such a pain in the a** this year. I can understand your frsutration with him. As the previous poster suggested, his split starts were insane and he may offer you some excelletn speed production over the next few months. That being said you seem to be good on the speed and his AVG. is what is killing you. In an NL only league I would have to think that SBs, like saves, could be at a premium. So to drop him at this point would only serve to help out another team in your league that desperately needs SBs. His AVG. will come up, but it's not going to reach the .275 mark that alot of people predicted this year. This guy is only 25 so his best season could be coming up very soon. That makes it even harder to drop him imo. I do hate the fact that he plays 81 games in Petco, but it's all in how you look at it ya know...glass half empty/glass half full kind of thing. He plays 81 at Petco, but 81 on the road, lol. He's never hit for power at any point in his career and was always looked at as a guy who would going to hit for a good AVG. and steal bases. He's at 16 right now and I think its still safe to assume that 35 isn't out of the question. I just can't recommend you dropping him and streaming guys for AVG. AVG. is one of the most difficult cats to stream, leaving you to constatnly have to play matchups and spplit stats ect ect...and would probably end up being just as, if not more, frsutrating than just keeping MAybin and sitting tight. I'd stick with him for now...but if you're hell bent on shaking things up then start floating his name out there to owners desperate for SBs. Quickly point out his splits from last year and sell that point until your blue in the face. Since we are dealing him away to improve our average I want the absolute best AVG. that you can get...you need to get a guy who 3 yr AVG is above .300. That's what I'd want in return. I'd really want Melky Cabrera, although Melk's owner would be cray to make that deal, lol. Who knows, maybe if you throw in someting else he needs. hope that helps.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Ellsberries » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:01 pm

Ok, I'll try to make a deal. Haha, melkmans already mine. And definitely holding on to him :)
Ellsberries
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby mcmbpd » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:05 pm

lol, whoops my fault, I missed his name in there when I was reading it. Yeah, he's a great one to have this year. But a deal makes the most sense to me here if you just don't want to wait it out any longer. I just don't see the point in you waiting on Maybin this whole time and then loose out on his possible good 2nd half production while scrambling every day to find a guy who is ging to go 1 for 3 ya know, lol.
"Baseball is ninety percent mental. The other half is physical." --Yogi Berra
mcmbpd
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Allegreenery » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:46 pm

in an NL only league...sure the average hurts, but his steals and potential for more steals still hold some value...see if you could package him with someone else to get an upgrade at avg
Allegreenery
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Postby smitty10j » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:40 pm

I would not draft him, the steals are too valuable in an NL only league. I would hold on to him or start trying to trade him to someone that needs steals, but I can't imagine many players on the waiver wire that are going to be able to help you out more than Maybin.

Help me out
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=449783
smitty10j
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions