How does this draft look? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions

How does this draft look?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How does this draft look?

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:43 pm

First real draft of the year and im not sure im happy with all my picks.
this is for a a 10 team H2H league so fairly shallow and we use:
R, HR, RBI, AVG, SB, H
W, WHIP, ERA, K, SV, QS

We keep 3 players and they were assigned as our first 3 picks:

1. (2) Carlos González This player is a keeper. (Col - OF)
2. (19) Buster Posey This player is a keeper. (SF - C,1B)
3. (22) Roy Halladay This player is a keeper. (Phi - SP)
===================================================================================
The draft started here
4. (39) Matt Holliday (StL - OF) other choices were Kinsler, Choo, Cruz, Kershaw
5. (42) Adam Dunn (CWS - 1B) only other 1B left were Morneau and Morales so i wanted to get one of them. perhaps shouldve taken the risk with Morneau?
6. (59) Josh Johnson (Fla - SP) CC, Verly, Greinke, Ubaldo Kershaw all went after my previous pick, and the pitchers above them were all kept. Hamels and Price were the other 2 SP i considered here, and Alexei Ramirez, Bruce, Pence, Rios were posistion players there
7. (62) Rickie Weeks (Mil - 2B)
8. (79) Mat Latos (SD - SP)
9. (82) Jacoby Ellsbury (Bos - OF) lots of gusy thikn he overrated this year but i think hes a steal at this spot... last year he was drafted as a top 30 overall player, and being healthy this year i dont see why his value should fall so drastically
10. (99) Casey McGehee (Mil - 3B)
11. (102) Shaun Marcum (Mil - SP)
12. (119) Curtis Granderson (NYY - OF)
13. (122) Daniel Hudson (Ari - SP)
14. (139) Pedro Alvarez (Pit - 3B) rounds 13-18 is where i feel like i may have reached or missed on a few guys,but what do you think?
15. (142) Jeremy Hellickson (TB - SP,RP)
16. (159) Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
17. (162) Manny Ramírez (TB - OF) wanted some bench power
18. (179) Jhoulys Chacin (Col - SP,RP)
19. (182) Michael Cuddyer (Min - 1B,3B,OF)not exciting by any standard, but nice positional flexibilty as a back up
20. (199) Joe Nathan (Min - RP)
21. (202) Huston Street (Col - RP)

so my roster looks like:
Batters
C: Buster Posey (C,1B)
1B: Adam Dunn (1B)
2B: Rickie Weeks (2B)
3B: Casey McGehee (3B)my infield looks pretty weak
SS: Starlin Castro (SS)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF), Matt Holliday (OF), Jacoby Ellsbury (OF) but my OF should be really strong
Util: Curtis Granderson (OF)
BN: Pedro Alvarez (3B), Manny Ramirez (OF), Michael Cuddyer (1B,3B,OF)

Pitchers
SP: Roy Halladay (SP), Josh Johnson (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Shaun Marcum (SP)
RP: Joe Nathan (RP)
BN: Jeremy Hellickson (SP,RP), Daniel Hudson (SP), Jhoulys Chacin (SP,RP)Huston Street (RP)

so how strong do you think my overall team turned out and what are the glaring weaknesses and/or strengths?
Last edited by cs3 on Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How does this draft look?

Postby cs3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:12 pm

anyone care to comment?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby royalty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:34 pm

Well, i'm not sure why you picked CarGo at #2 overall, were tulo, cabrera, pujols, braun, HanRam etc. all picked first overall? Also, not sure about Posey in the second but picking up Ellsbury in the 9th and Nathan late were nice coups.
1B: Butler
2B: Pedroia
3B: Longoria
SS: Andrus
C: Mccann
OF: Braun
OF: Rios
OF: Elsbury
UTIL: Gordon
BN: Wallace
SP: Lee
SP: Carpenter
RP: Bell
RP: Putz
P: Colby Lewis
P: Madson
P: Francisco
BN: Ogando
BN: Brett Myers
BN: Hammel
BN: Britton
royalty
College Coach
College Coach

Postby cs3 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:58 pm

guess you didnt see the part where i said the first 3 picks were all keepers? I did not draft cargo #2, i kept him from last year.
he just happened to be the first of my keepers that the commish assigned to me when he set up the custom draft order.

I just bolded some stuff in the OP to make that more clear
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BigLebowski » Sat Mar 19, 2011 1:30 am

Your keepers must have been quite weak to keep Posey in a 10 team 3 keeper league. You team looks a bit weak on power, avg and saves. That's not really a good start in a 10 team league.
BigLebowski
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 473)

Postby cs3 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 am

BigLebowski wrote:Your keepers must have been quite weak to keep Posey in a 10 team 3 keeper league. You team looks a bit weak on power, avg and saves. That's not really a good start in a 10 team league.

Re. Posey
when Hanley Ramirez got hurt. i was in the championship matchup, so dropped him because since this league has always been a redraft. but then in the off season everyone decides they want to allow 3 keepers. Hanley wasnt on my final roster so the commish ruled that he goes back in the draft, even tho i obv never wouldve dropped him had everyone know it would become a keeper league.
i agreed to do keepers so i cant blame anyone.
i also had Beltre, CC, Ubaldo and Hanson, who i couldve kept.

Also i just traded McGehee + Johnson for Arod + Buchholz so that should help my power.

My roster is now:
Batters
3B: Alex Rodriguez (3B)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF), Matt Holliday (OF), Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
BN: Pedro Alvarez (3B), Manny Ramirez (OF), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B, SS)

Pitchers
SP: Roy Halladay (SP), Clay Buchholz (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Shaun Marcum (SP)
BN: Jeremy Hellickson (SP,RP), Daniel Hudson (SP), Jhoulys Chacin (SP,RP)Huston Street (RP)
Last edited by cs3 on Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RDD15 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:18 am

cs3 wrote:
Re. Posey
I got really screwed last year when Hanley Ramirez got hurt. i was in the championship matchup when he went down, so dropped him because since this league has always been a redraft it shouldnt have mattered... but then in the off season everyone decides they want to allow 3 keepers. Hanley wasnt on my final roster so the commish ruled that he goes back in the draft, even tho i obv never wouldve dropped him had everyone know it would become a keeper league.)

This is the time that I would have walked from the league. I dont care if the league is full of your closest friends, if the commish is capable of actions like this, the league isn't worth your time. If you decide to make a redraft league into a keeper, you MUST have one more fresh draft after that decision is made.
RDD15
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby eneric » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 am

RDD15 wrote:
cs3 wrote:
Re. Posey
I got really screwed last year when Hanley Ramirez got hurt. i was in the championship matchup when he went down, so dropped him because since this league has always been a redraft it shouldnt have mattered... but then in the off season everyone decides they want to allow 3 keepers. Hanley wasnt on my final roster so the commish ruled that he goes back in the draft, even tho i obv never wouldve dropped him had everyone know it would become a keeper league.)

This is the time that I would have walked from the league. I dont care if the league is full of your closest friends, if the commish is capable of actions like this, the league isn't worth your time. If you decide to make a redraft league into a keeper, you MUST have one more fresh draft after that decision is made.

ABSOLUTELY!!! I totally agree, nothing pisses me off more than shady fantasy commissioners or managers who claim EVERYTHING is lopsided and against them. Your team looks pretty well rounded, nice trade for Bucholtz and A-Rod too by the way. Your closers are probabaly the biggest concern because they're both pretty injury prone.
eneric
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 32)

Postby cs3 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:02 pm

Yes it is a crappy situation bu I'm not goin to just quit... its all friends and I don't want to make a big deal about it.

So what do u guys think about my actual draft and some of the picks I made, specifically rounds 8-14?
cs3
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rukus9 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 5:06 pm

cs3 wrote:
BigLebowski wrote:Your keepers must have been quite weak to keep Posey in a 10 team 3 keeper league. You team looks a bit weak on power, avg and saves. That's not really a good start in a 10 team league.

Re. Posey
I got really screwed last year when Hanley Ramirez got hurt. i was in the championship matchup when he went down, so dropped him because since this league has always been a redraft it shouldnt have mattered... but then in the off season everyone decides they want to allow 3 keepers. Hanley wasnt on my final roster so the commish ruled that he goes back in the draft, even tho i obv never wouldve dropped him had everyone know it would become a keeper league. i also had Beltre, CC, Ubaldo and Hanson, who i couldve kept.

Also i just traded McGehee + Johnson for Arod + Buchholz so that should help my power.

My roster is now:
Batters
3B: Alex Rodriguez (3B)
OF: Carlos Gonzalez (OF), Matt Holliday (OF), Jacoby Ellsbury (OF)
BN: Pedro Alvarez (3B), Manny Ramirez (OF), Tsuyoshi Nishioka (2B, SS)

Pitchers
SP: Roy Halladay (SP), Clay Buchholz (SP), Mat Latos (SP), Shaun Marcum (SP)

Your roster looks solid but you definitely got hosed. I've never heard of a league just changing to a keeper without having a fresh draft...
League Setup:
13 Team Points League
6 Hitters 3 Pitchers (Positions don't matter)
1B = 1, 2B = 2, 3B = 3, HR = 4, RBI = 1
Win = 12, Save = 5
rukus9
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Draft, Trade, Keeper and Waivers Questions