No RPs at all - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Beginner's Forum

No RPs at all

No RPs at all

Postby tysonj55 » Thu May 10, 2012 5:15 am

Anyone ever just blown off the Relief Pitcher catagory alltogether? Started the year w/ Heath Bell and Huston Street. We all how Bell went and Street is injured. Got in on D. Roberts first when Mo went down and he apparently cannot handle the pressure that comes w/ 9th inning leads. What if I fielded no relievers and simply gave up the saves cat every week? I wouldn't have to worry about the blown saves cat anymore and my team ERA wouldn't take such a hit from these guys puking on their shoes while trying to close a game. Thoughts?
tysonj55
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: No RPs at all

Postby sumisa » Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:06 am

yap
sumisa
T-Ball Trainer

Postby jeffmerk » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:41 pm

Without your league parameters, it's hard to advise on strategy but it's usually best to avoid closers and then stock up late on the pitchers who could possibly fall into the job.
jeffmerk
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 63)

Postby jonboy418 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:49 am

I play in a H2H league where we roster 5 RPs and count both saves and holds. For the past 4 years, I have not once drafted a closer and always aimed for middle relievers with good ratios. I always seem to end the year around 5th-6th in the number of saves since I injuries always seem to create opportunities for guys I've already drafted. Rafael Soriano, Ernesto Frieri, Tyler Clippard all ended with 20+ saves (some even 30+). None of them had closer roles during drafts.

I think you need to differentiate exactly what you are asking though:

No RPs on the roster?
or, no closers on the roster?

RPs are fundamentally crucial to your team. Again, I would need to know the settings of your team (# of managers, categories, roster type). But RP tend to offer elite ERA and WHIP, not just saves. The number of SP who can offer sub-3.00 ERA and sub-1.05 WHIP can be counted on one hand. The number of RP who can offer that same line: 22

My strategy has been to supplement sitting SP with RP's owning elite ratios and high strikeouts. Here's my reasoning:
I'm going to combine 3 RP whom could be had off of waivers / free agency in most 10-team non-holds leagues:

David Hernandez - Ari
Ernesto Frieri - LAA
Darren O'Day - Bal

If I combine their 2012 stats I get the following:
2.37 ERA
0.98 WHIP
14 wins
27 saves
265 Ks
in 201 IP

That stat line would easily beat the #1 SP off any draft board. And I'm not even going after the saves, mostly the ratios. Why? Because it balances the SP who may offer a 3.75ERA and 1.25WHIP and 200+ Ks.

So, while I disagree to have no RPs at all, you can certainly get through your draft with no closers and still be competitive.
jonboy418
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 35)

Return to Beginner's Forum