How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league

Postby RedTiger » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:41 am

Besides just having owners who will maintain their team the whole year no matter their place in the standings...how do you encourage the last place teams to update their rosters?
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 28)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: How to keep bottom teams involved in roto keeper league

Postby ayebatter » Thu Sep 19, 2013 9:04 pm

Don't let bozo's join in the 1st place, if you can, find a new owner asap nothing else works.
So-Cal 25 Club _762_
ayebatter

ModeratorCafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 1358)

Postby Fantasy Sports Genie » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:28 pm

That is the conclusion I drew as well. When I have an owner that clearly isn't participating, then I've been known to update their roster to at least keep it full/legal, and then find a replacement after the season.

I suppose you could go down the path of the NBA and such, and have a lottery to discourage tanking. But aside from making more work for the commish, I really think half the teams that do this aren't even trying to tank. They just lose interest and stop paying attention.
Fantasy Sports Genie
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 42)

Postby bigmck » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:02 pm

This is one of the drawbacks of Roto. Half of the league is out of it by June 1. There isn't really much that can be done. Even if you are one of the best owners in the world, it is hard to remain interested in a team that has maybe a shot at a fifth place finish, if he gets lucky.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 59)

Postby invisiblemagic » Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:47 am

Our league incentivizes where a team finishes in standings.

We have 15 teams, 5x5 league. By default, each team gets 5 major league keepers. However, they can gain or loss a keeper based on their performance.

The Top 7 teams get to keep 6 guys. 7th place is normally pretty attainable, so its something to work towards.

In addition, we've establishes a Point Line of Respectability. Any team that finishes below 60 points will lose a keeper and only get to keep 4 guys. Also seems to work.
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby fast dogs » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:05 pm

[

In addition, we've establishes a Point Line of Respectability. Any team that finishes below 60 points will lose a keeper and only get to keep 4 guys. Also seems to work.[/quote]

wow, I'm not sure how you get the bottom teams to come back the following year. They have lesser players and they get to keep fewer than the top half of the league? Most leagues it is a challenge to get the guys with bad luck that year to re-up for the following year; this league would seem to lose most of the bottom half managers each year. How many years has this been going? What % of those teams don't come back? There must be something else for the bottom teams to come back year after year?
fast dogs
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicResponse TeamMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 299)

Postby invisiblemagic » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:25 am

fast dogs wrote:[

wow, I'm not sure how you get the bottom teams to come back the following year. They have lesser players and they get to keep fewer than the top half of the league? Most leagues it is a challenge to get the guys with bad luck that year to re-up for the following year; this league would seem to lose most of the bottom half managers each year. How many years has this been going? What % of those teams don't come back? There must be something else for the bottom teams to come back year after year?

This is our third season doing this (league has been together for 10+ years) and we haven't had any turnover yet. Not to say its a perfect plan, but its worked out for us.

Our league allows for future draft picks to be traded, so before we started this, there was no consequences for a team selling off their entire team for additional high draft picks and creating a beast of a team for next year.

We try set the line of a respectability at a level where any team, with any degree of effort, can finish with higher than that amount of points. The only teams that finished below that line this year were the teams that traded away their good players for future draft picks. So they personally decided what was more valuable to them...more keepers or more high-draft picks.

And FWIW, here's our final standings in 2013...

1st place (finished in 10th of 13th place in 2012)
2nd place (finished in 11th place in 2012)
3rd place (finished in 13th place in 2012)

And there was a heated 4-team battle for 6th and 7th place, in order to secure that extra keeper. In previous years, those teams would have been napping through September because they were 20 points out of 3rd place.
invisiblemagic
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 1)

Postby 23 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:17 am

ayebatter wrote:Don't let bozo's join in the 1st place, if you can, find a new owner asap nothing else works.

This. It sounds gruff, but ultimately it's true. You have to have a group of people who have enough respect for the league to at least go through the motions and maintain integrity. In my opinion, if you're constantly riding lazy owners, searching for gimmicks, etc., you're already wasting your time. The best solution is to just be upfront about what type of league you're trying to have, let him know he's a weak link and his spot is in jeopardy if it doesn't change. At that point, you either get a more dedicated owner or you lose dead weight. Win-win. Also, like any good GM/Commish, have a "short list" of potential replacements, people who would be eager to join, participate and compete. Good luck.
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby Goatrider » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:12 pm

I used to be in a league that used a side game. Ten bucks of entry fee goes into it. It was a second half game where the 12-team league got permanently locked into 3 four-team tiers. Those teams then compete over the course of the second half. Top tier got $30, 2nd tier $40, and the bottom dwellers competed for $50. The regular standings go on counting unaffected.

It was kinda fun and did seem to keep people involved because you just did not want to lose twice in one year and $50 is not bad if you have been getting stomped all year.

Con: I think the commish updated the standings manually.
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 40)

Postby metfan10314 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:20 pm

Fantasy Sports R Us issues free agents last to first in the standings each week. While it rarely makes the top teams happy it does keep the lower teams much more involved for the entirety of the season.
metfan10314
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner