Need opinions on league settings/rules - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Need opinions on league settings/rules

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Need opinions on league settings/rules

Postby thesticks23 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 pm

I joined a 12 team league this year that is considered keeper. I find that many of the rules are very different and strange compared to leagues i have been in before.

Please express your opionins on how to build your team in this league, and if you like/hate or are indifferent to the rules and why.

Roster = C, C, 1B, 2b, 3b, ss, CI, MI, of, of, of, of, of, DH, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P
you get 15 bench slots
Categories are Standard 5x5 and scoring is Roto

ok here comes the strange rules
1) You can not move your players in and out of your minors freely, it takes something called a GM move to move any player from his position. You get 9, thats right only 9 GM moves a year. Now if a player is on the DL, you can use a DL move which is not counted as a GM move.. but when you player comes off the DL it costs a GM move to put him back on your playing roster.

2) Players do not get multiple position eligiblilty - whatever position they played most last year is it, and it does not change. New players are giving their determined position at the draft and does not matter if it changes. (Ben Zobrist can Only play OF, Jurickson profar can ONLY play SS)

3) It is a Auction league, and you can only keep your players for 1 year at the price you got them for the previous year, in the 2nd year you get something called topper rights, meaning they go into draft and after the bidding is won, you get the choice of paying 1 extra dollar to keep him for that last year. after that he must go back into draft

4) You can not keep players you trade for during the season, But you can keep players you trade for in the off season at the price paid for them the prevous year.

5) You Are only allowed to trade players within the position. so 2b can only be traded for 2b... basically you have to do 2 for 2 to get any trades done. Though with the DH, you can trade DH's no matter what their postion is. But remember to move a guy you want to trade into the DH role would cost you GM moves.

6) You are not allowed to pick up F.A.'s during the year, everyones rosters are locked from adding or dropping players. 1 time a year there will be a secondary draft that expands your Bench by 9 players. This is serpentine style and goes by reverse order of the current standings.

Please help as My team has been injury ridden this year, and im not sure if i want to join again next year.. Maybe if someone can give me some insight on how to properly build a team for this type of league i will reconsider, but it seems that there are only 6 teams that do well every year and im not sure if they know something I dont about using the settings to your advantage or if its just dumb luck.
thesticks23
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Need opinions on league settings/rules

Postby jefferey13 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:13 am

That sounds nuts, I would get out.
jefferey13
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby zelts3 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Not a fan of the league....too dominated by the rules. I am all for a fair league setup, but that league is dominated by the commissioner. Not for me.
zelts3
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 5)

Postby mkultra » Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:15 pm

Leagues with so many constraints are, IMO, not fun to play. There's a fine line between not being able to have every player you want on your team and not being able to have any player you want, and this league sounds like the latter. The positional trade restrictions alone would drive me nuts.

I could see doing something like this as a side league where you try out some wacky rules and "see what happens", and it's not a big deal if it flames out after a few months, but as a league I'd want to become invested in, financially or emotionally? Forget it :-P
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby bigmck » Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:15 pm

Every rule you mentioned is bad by itself. Together they are a nightmare. Get out while you can.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Return to Commissioner's Corner