I joined a 12 team league this year that is considered keeper. I find that many of the rules are very different and strange compared to leagues i have been in before.
Please express your opionins on how to build your team in this league, and if you like/hate or are indifferent to the rules and why.
Roster = C, C, 1B, 2b, 3b, ss, CI, MI, of, of, of, of, of, DH, P, P, P, P, P, P, P, P
you get 15 bench slots
Categories are Standard 5x5 and scoring is Roto
ok here comes the strange rules
1) You can not move your players in and out of your minors freely, it takes something called a GM move to move any player from his position. You get 9, thats right only 9 GM moves a year. Now if a player is on the DL, you can use a DL move which is not counted as a GM move.. but when you player comes off the DL it costs a GM move to put him back on your playing roster.
2) Players do not get multiple position eligiblilty - whatever position they played most last year is it, and it does not change. New players are giving their determined position at the draft and does not matter if it changes. (Ben Zobrist can Only play OF, Jurickson profar can ONLY play SS)
3) It is a Auction league, and you can only keep your players for 1 year at the price you got them for the previous year, in the 2nd year you get something called topper rights, meaning they go into draft and after the bidding is won, you get the choice of paying 1 extra dollar to keep him for that last year. after that he must go back into draft
4) You can not keep players you trade for during the season, But you can keep players you trade for in the off season at the price paid for them the prevous year.
5) You Are only allowed to trade players within the position. so 2b can only be traded for 2b... basically you have to do 2 for 2 to get any trades done. Though with the DH, you can trade DH's no matter what their postion is. But remember to move a guy you want to trade into the DH role would cost you GM moves.
6) You are not allowed to pick up F.A.'s during the year, everyones rosters are locked from adding or dropping players. 1 time a year there will be a secondary draft that expands your Bench by 9 players. This is serpentine style and goes by reverse order of the current standings.
Please help as My team has been injury ridden this year, and im not sure if i want to join again next year.. Maybe if someone can give me some insight on how to properly build a team for this type of league i will reconsider, but it seems that there are only 6 teams that do well every year and im not sure if they know something I dont about using the settings to your advantage or if its just dumb luck.