Salary differential idea to solve dumping in trades? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Salary differential idea to solve dumping in trades?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Salary differential idea to solve dumping in trades?

Postby toxicbbq » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:41 pm

Looking for some help/ideas.

I know in many of my auction keeper leagues when it comes to the trade deadline I almost cringe when I see some of those trades. Trading a $40 guy for a $1 guy sometimes gets me as the commish. I know there are lots of things that go into this but in general these deal kinda stink. We do use an in season salary cap so that eliminates multiple deals by the same owner like this one.

Was considering adding a type of salary differential. For example you would have to stay within a 40% range of salary in any trade. So if you traded $55 worth of salary you would have to get back $22 worth of salary from the other owner.

Anyone play with something like this? For you other Commishes, what are your thoughts?

Thx
T
toxicbbq
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 10)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Salary differential idea to solve dumping in trades?

Postby BoBtheMule » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Umm, by restricting the salary dump trades, you reduce the options for your lower tier teams. These are great deals for them that in general allows them to get better. I have an auction league, these trades happen at the deadline and it's a competitive atmosphere with all the playoff bound teams trying to add big name talent they can't keep going into the next auction in exchange for players like Bundy, Myers and cheap FA finds that have breakouts (like Bautista two years ago).

You shouldn't keep teams from doing this, you should encourage them all to do it and not just one or two teams. That's generally the only problem with it...

BoB
BoBtheMule
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StoneColdBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 11:52 am

I agree with BoB: the problem isn't the technique, it's the execution. Sometimes you have to let owners own and trust that they'll make the best moves for their teams. Let me ask this: do you have a hard in-season cap? I want to assume that you do, but I've known leagues that haven't. If you don't, instituting one would go a long way in solving your problem.

I also wonder if it's something that only one or two owners does. If so, then you might have to tread softly so no change looks like it's made with them in mind.

Best of luck, though: I know all too well what it's like to be a contending commish and then see someone rob another owner and be forced to just live with it.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby bigmck » Sat Feb 02, 2013 1:02 pm

toxicbbq wrote:Looking for some help/ideas.

I know in many of my auction keeper leagues when it comes to the trade deadline I almost cringe when I see some of those trades. Trading a $40 guy for a $1 guy sometimes gets me as the commish. I know there are lots of things that go into this but in general these deal kinda stink. We do use an in season salary cap so that eliminates multiple deals by the same owner like this one.

Was considering adding a type of salary differential. For example you would have to stay within a 40% range of salary in any trade. So if you traded $55 worth of salary you would have to get back $22 worth of salary from the other owner.

Anyone play with something like this? For you other Commishes, what are your thoughts?

Thx
T

You don't say what your In-Season Salary Cap is. If you budget on Auction Day is $260 and In-Season is $360, that is no good. You might as well not have one if it is so high you won't exceed it. Ours Auction Day is $260 and In-Season is $290. It gives you some room for Dump Trades, but does not let an Owner go crazy with them.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 60)

Postby dmendro » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Are you a keeper league? If not, than a transaction fee will definately help. If you are a keeper league, trading a $40 expensive guy for a cheap $1 keeper can often be a good strategy *cough* mike trout!!
---------------------------------------------------------
The Black 'N Blue Podcast
RSS Feed: http://feeds2.feedburner.com/BlacknBlue
Beating each other up one sport at a time.
dmendro
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby etex211 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 9:38 am

I don't think there is any rule that can equitably address bad trades. Each trade has to always be addressed on it's own merits.

Everybody always knows which trades stink. The members of the league need to have the courage to say no.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 20)

Return to Commissioner's Corner