Return to Commissioner's Corner

Playoff Formating

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Playoff Formating

Postby ryan2714 » Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:48 pm

I commish a 10 team 7 keeper league $100ea. 5x5 H2H scoring

I currently have 20 regular season match-ups
Top 4 make playoffs (2wk matchs)
Bottom 6 were in the default "ladder" format on ESPN which I absolutley hate. No incentives to win what so ever.
I have had issues in the past with teams streaming in the winners bracket, teams dumping players and benching players in order to lose and gain a higher spot in the draft.

I like having 2 week winners matchups because in baseball there is usually no flukes, the better team should win. I believe you should always be playing for something even if your out of it to keep up interest and competition.

I floated the idea of a bottom 4 playoff winner gets #1 draft spot, but this leaves me having the 5 & 6 seeds playing for a month straight which I'm not thrilled about to win the 5th place prize of $35.

I've also floated the idea of my own version of the "ladder" but in reverse (winner moves down & losers move up) i.e. 5v6 7v8 9v10. 6,8,10 win then 5v7 (winner drafts 5th) 6v9 (winner #3) & 8v10 (winner #1 pick)

Another idea I've floated is a draft lottery based off of regular season finishing place and playoff performance. Consolation winner gets a higher % chance and reg season 10th would be assigned the most chance to pull #1.

Are there any suggestions what I should do? A different format I could consider? Other incentives or penalties I could lay out?
Also if a draft lottery is the best idea, what is the best way to go about setting it up? as I have never done a lottery before.

Lastly is there any way to stop pitcher streaming? esp in the playoffs. This past year I had a 3 acquisition limit per match-up which greatly reduced the ability to do so but some people still tried (against me but failed). It's a cowardly way to play and is a major pet peeve of mine and want to stop it.
ryan2714
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Playoff Formating

Postby bigmck » Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:16 am

You can stop streaming with a matchup player add/drop limit. How much streaming can a team do with 3 pickups. Unless you have a very small league, the good pitchers will be gone, so let them stream. With 3 pickups that is not streaming. I use five pickups per match in a 16 team league. All the good players are on other teams and steaming is not possible.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 62)

Postby dfa » Sat Dec 29, 2012 6:44 pm

I share your concerns about this issue. I have 11 good owners and have struggled to have find a good 12th owner, though it is also true that when some teams are clearly out of it, they stop paying attention to. This really is unfair to the teams that are vying for the postseason obviously.

I gave serious consideration to having the non-8 playoff teams compete for the top pick as well, having 4 rounds lasting a week each (as opposed to the playoffs which are two rounds that last for two weeks each round). This could be done still, but the problem is that this essentially lets the best non-playoff team get the number 1 pick, so really it has the effect of rewarding the best team, rather than punishing the least active team. I also considered a lottery, but it really is difficult to winnow out inactivity versus just being bad, at least I have found this to be true.

The one thing that most of the league is considering is going with a snake draft rather than a traditional draft that we currently have.
dfa
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby datafreak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:28 pm

ryan2714 wrote:I commish a 10 team 7 keeper league $100ea. 5x5 H2H scoring

I currently have 20 regular season match-ups
Top 4 make playoffs (2wk matchs)
Bottom 6 were in the default "ladder" format on ESPN which I absolutley hate. No incentives to win what so ever.
I have had issues in the past with teams streaming in the winners bracket, teams dumping players and benching players in order to lose and gain a higher spot in the draft.

I like having 2 week winners matchups because in baseball there is usually no flukes, the better team should win. I believe you should always be playing for something even if your out of it to keep up interest and competition.

I floated the idea of a bottom 4 playoff winner gets #1 draft spot, but this leaves me having the 5 & 6 seeds playing for a month straight which I'm not thrilled about to win the 5th place prize of $35.

I've also floated the idea of my own version of the "ladder" but in reverse (winner moves down & losers move up) i.e. 5v6 7v8 9v10. 6,8,10 win then 5v7 (winner drafts 5th) 6v9 (winner #3) & 8v10 (winner #1 pick)

Another idea I've floated is a draft lottery based off of regular season finishing place and playoff performance. Consolation winner gets a higher % chance and reg season 10th would be assigned the most chance to pull #1.

Are there any suggestions what I should do? A different format I could consider? Other incentives or penalties I could lay out?
Also if a draft lottery is the best idea, what is the best way to go about setting it up? as I have never done a lottery before.

Lastly is there any way to stop pitcher streaming? esp in the playoffs. This past year I had a 3 acquisition limit per match-up which greatly reduced the ability to do so but some people still tried (against me but failed). It's a cowardly way to play and is a major pet peeve of mine and want to stop it.

We have a 10 team H2H NL only league - so streaming isn't a problem for us. But I think we've addressed some of the issues you speak with the following initiatives in a CBS Commissioner's League in which 4 teams make the 2 week per round playoffs:

1. Straight Draft with the following draft order:

5th place - first pick
6th place - second pick
7th place - third pick
8th place - fourth pick
9th place - fifth pick
10th place - sixth pick

4th place - seventh pick
3rd place - eighth pick
2nd place - ninth pick
1st place - tenth pick

2. we play a 3 game per week schedule for 21 weeks. 63 game regular season is MUCH more fun - reduces the luck factor immensely - and you have 2 more games each week to look forward to if you get blown out by Tuesday in one. This way teams don't fall out of contention with bad luck early as easily/have more games to potentially catch up. This 3 games per week schedule made our league much, much more fun and competitive.

Oops - it dawned on me that we are a H2H points league and 5x5 probably means you are not. If not, I think you should be. It is the best way to play fantasy baseball!
datafreak
T-Ball Trainer

Postby etex211 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:03 am

I play in an 18 team roto league that has two head to head playoff rounds for the top 4 teams (3 division winners plus wild card) in the final four weeks of the season. During those final four weeks, the bottom 14 teams continue to play roto for draft positioning. Our draft order is just like above: 5, 6, 7, 8, ....16, 17, 18, 4, 3, 2, 1. Our draft is a snake draft.

Our roster moves happen only on Monday's, and only two players can be dropped each week. Active players can't be stashed on the reserve list. Players picked up in the final month of the season can't be kept for the next season.
etex211
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 24)

Postby spendo02 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:06 pm

Solutions to streaming:

1. Lock active rosters when the first game starts on Monday - most efficient way by far. Set your roster on Monday and wait - which also appeals to less active owners.

2. Increase the waiver time period to 5 days - makes streaming more complicated because the pitchers next start will also be skipped because of the mandatory time on the waiver wire and artificially creates a void of less starting pitchers available to stream. The biggest issue is that everyone else suffers from it when needing to fill a slot due to injury.

3. Limit your matchup transactions to 3 per matchup - You'd only be able to add 3 pitchers a week plus your benched pitchers.

4. Decrease your player pool by doing AL or NL only - less quality pitchers to stream, particularly if a bad start equates to negative points.

5. Decrease your DL and Bench sizes (or up your active roster size but maintain your total roster size) so that injured or good players not performing well take up those slots and prevent streaming from wire to bench to starter to waiver. This would make the owner of an injured or slumping star have to decide to stream or hold onto the star.

RE: your playoff conundrum

With $1000 you have a payout of 400/200/100/50 for top 4.

The remaining $250 is split:
$150 is broken into $25 increments for the most points scored in each of the 6 "playable" months (Mar/April, May, June, July, August, September/October).

Of the last $100 you can do one of two things:
Overall Point leader gets $75, winner of Loser Bracket gets $25
-or-
Most points scored in each half gets $50

As for Seeding for draft solutions, I prefer the option you generally outline for the bottom 6 in a lottery fashion:

10th place gets 10 "slips" - 22% for Top Pick
9th gets 9 - 20%
8 gets 5 - 11%
7 gets 6 - 13%
6 gets 7 - 15%
5 gets 8 - 17%

Winners bracket draft slots are in reverse order, so 1st place gets 10th, 2nd - 9th, 3rd - 8th, 4th - 7th

Its a good way to reward someone for playing out the season in a losers bracket, with better odds of getting a better draft pick in the process.
spendo02
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

(Past Year: 2)

Return to Commissioner's Corner