Fantasy Minor League roster ideas - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Fantasy Minor League roster ideas

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Fantasy Minor League roster ideas

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:07 pm

We are considering adding a separate minor league roster to our league going into next year.

Potentially rostering 1 pitcher and 1 batter with rules as to call ups, drops, waiver periods, etc. Probably holding a separate draft by email after the first year player draft.

Wanted to see if anybody has done this and possibly feels like sharing some ideas that have worked well and maybe that haven't worked well.

What we want to avoid is over complicating the whole process sucking the fun out of even doing it :-t

The hope is that a simple, fair system will add a new dynamic and give guys more reason to read up on the up-and-comers a bit more than we all already do.

10 team, 5 keeper, custom points league with 9 hyper obsessed owners and 1 to-be-proven newbstick.
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Fantasy Minor League roster ideas

Postby pjalst » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:26 pm

The way I simplified it in my league: Players are considered prospects if they have less than 130AB or less than 50IP. You can move prospects up to your MLB roster at any time. Once a player reaches the 130AB/50IP they can stay on your minor league roster for THAT SEASON ONLY, the following season they must be moved to your MLB roster or released. This way you don't have to keep checking how many AB's or IP's a prospect has. You only need to do it once, before the start of the season.
pjalst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 98)

Postby Goatrider » Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Both my league have a farm system. The rookie eligibility limit is the general rule in most leagues. In both leagues, it is an automatic call-up if they pass the limits. It is real fun. The only problem I see is two prospects is not enough. In my league with real old school owners, we do three. This has worked well but doesn't really scratch the surface (and that's in NL Only). The other one is long-term contract league and we just expanded from four to six for the same reasoning. So with 'hyper-obsessed' owners, I suggest more slots.

Another point, add a keeper spot. It would suck to develop a good farm system and then hamstring yourself due to a lacking keeper system.

I am the commish in the old school league and we implemented the farm system this year without a hitch. Here is the link to the help I got last year. Good Luck!

viewtopic.php?f=189&t=437726
Goatrider
College Coach
College Coach

(Past Year: 47)

Postby ChefBoyRG54 » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Thanks guys, I like the feedback. Seems so easy to complicate the heck out of so thought I would get some experienced feedback rather than reinvent the wheel and make it a triangle... :-B

I will check out the post Goatrider. We just moved to 5 keepers this year. Been 3 then 4 then 5 so adding a slot may happen as this trend continues into the 3rd consecutive year.

pjalst, how many minor leaguers do you guys have???

We were considering our limit being once they are up for 30 consecutive days. So for reference, Trout woulda been up last year as a result forcing the owner to make a decision. Obviously nobody saw TROUT coming this year like he did so it would of been interesting to see what the owner who had him had done after he came up and didnt do much.

Hope to see some more people post on this as the LOOOONG Fantasy offseason unfolds :-)
Pete Rose for President

ChefBoyRG54
ChefBoyRG54
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Return to Commissioner's Corner