Q: how do you set dynasty auction keeper values years 2/3/4? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Commissioner's Corner

Q: how do you set dynasty auction keeper values years 2/3/4?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Q: how do you set dynasty auction keeper values years 2/3/4?

Postby herbz » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:52 am

hey ya'll....we have been playing in a H2H snake league on espn since '99 however we've redrafted this past year with the auction format...so we have a dynasty keeper league where in next year's 2013 draft we can keep up to 4 players at their 2012's draft rate.

so my question is to you all, what's the best and most fair way regarding a keepers value in 2014, then 2015, etc.?

for example bryce harper was drafted at $6 -- he can be kept for $6 next year (2013) but what about in 2014/2015?etc...
appreciate some input...i am the commish but i am new to the auctions with baseball...

thanks,
dave
herbz
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Q: how do you set dynasty auction keeper values years 2/

Postby bigmck » Tue Jul 10, 2012 2:00 pm

Before I start -- You are aware that ESPN does not allow you to carry forward Salaries and Contract Years. If you are using ESPN you would need to do this all on paper.

Hi -- You made a wise choice changing to a Keeper League. It will be a lot more fun. == Just a bit of terminolgy for you. A Dynasty League is when you keep about 70% of your team each year. That is not what you have. Yours is just a Keeper League. == Just a bit of personal opinion here. I think the league would be more fun if you kept maybe 7 or 8 each year. Keeping only four does not have that much of an impact on your team each year. == Now to answer your question. There are many ways to do what you want. The more standard way is to have year one and two of a players contract to have his Auction Salary. Year three is his option year. You have two choices. -- You can either not excercise his option which would mean you would keep him on your team for the third year at the same salary and would be forced to drop him after year three. Or you can sign him to an extended contract which would raise his salary $5 for every year you signed him. An example is if this was the third year of your Keeper League and you had Joe Blow at $13, you could keep him for the third year at $13 and then be forced to drop him or extend his contract for as many years as you want. If you extended for two years, that would mean his salary would be increased by $5 times two or $10. This year and the two extended years would enable you to keep Joe Blow for $23. You would have him for this year, next year and the following year at $23. You can do it for any number of years, but you only get one chance in his third year. After the contract is up, you must drop him. I hope you follow this. If not please ask again. Thanks
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby americanleagueroto » Sat Sep 29, 2012 3:24 pm

A lot of leagues will use a "contract" type set up.

The first year a player is drafted he's in his "A" year. The player can be kept at the same price for the following year. This is the players "B" year. (Note: if the player is traded to another team he keeps his current contract)

After a players "B" year the manager has 2 options. 1) Keep the player for one more year, known as an option year ("O") at the same draft price of extend the player for X number of years.

If the player is kept on an option year he CANNOT be resigned and must be in the draft pool the following season. Also if an option year player is traded to another team, that new team CANNOT extend the player either, he's a 1 and done type player.

If an owner decides after a players "B" year to extend the player (Long Term Contract or LT), there is a certain percent increase in how much that player will cost the following years. The leagues I play in also have a rule in place that only allows for a 2 or 3 year extension, to ensure certain teams do not have players forever as well as to help the risk that a player flops and a team bails because he's carrying a super expensive, bad player.

The leagues I play in that use this setup are also money leagues, so we have a system in place that allows an owner to get out from a long term contract by paying half the remaining balance of the contract into the winning pool.

Hope this helps some.
Twitter: @dmojr - Always available to talk fantasy or be that second opinion before a trade.
americanleagueroto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby herbz » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 am

both responses helped a lot and are greatly appreciated!
thanks much guys...we have adopted basically a system where you can keep the player at the rate you paid for 2 years...

this is what we adopted so far....although i may now propose somthing different based on the new input/post.

"we are set to keep 4 for 2013; you may keep up to 4 players at their value you drafted them in 2012. Any player picked up via waivers may be kept for $1. for 2014 you may keep the same players or new however, any player who was previously kept now their auction value increases by 5$ (but will never rise above the espn default auction value). <br> <br>Bryce Harper for example: drafted in 2012 for $6; may be kept for 2013 for $6; year 3 in 2014 if kept again his value goes up $5 to $11, year 4 in 2015 he may be kept for $11 again and year 5 in 2016 he'd go up to $16 as long as his value is less than the espn default$"
herbz
T-Ball Trainer

Postby RedTiger » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 pm

An alternative to contracts is increasing some player values by 10% and doubling other players.

My league allows 8 keepers (we start 23). Five of the keepers are increased by 10% rounded up to the next dollar. $5 becomes $6 and $27 becomes $30. The other three players must be doubled. You don't have to keep 8. You could keep 5 at 10%.

So in my league, I have Jason Heyward at $9. In 2013, he will be $10, in 2014, he will be $11, and in 2015 he will be $13.
RedTiger
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 29)

Postby bigmck » Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:26 pm

herbz wrote:
"we are set to keep 4 for 2013; you may keep up to 4 players at their value you drafted them in 2012. Any player picked up via waivers may be kept for $1. for 2014 you may keep the same players or new however, any player who was previously kept now their auction value increases by 5$ (but will never rise above the espn default auction value). <br> <br>Bryce Harper for example: drafted in 2012 for $6; may be kept for 2013 for $6; year 3 in 2014 if kept again his value goes up $5 to $11, year 4 in 2015 he may be kept for $11 again and year 5 in 2016 he'd go up to $16 as long as his value is less than the espn default$"

Let me tell you some problems I see with the above. Your example above of Bryce Harper. He can be kept until 2016 and his salary only increases $10. That isn't enough. You are going to have the good players staying on the same team for many years. The salary should escalate to that the players have to be dropped quicker. My league has the Auction Value the first two years, an increase of $5 the third year and an increase of $10 for the fourth and later years. == The idea of waiver players only getting a $1 salary is not right. MIke Trout would have been picked up for a dollar this year. Use the FAAB and bid on all players.
bigmck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 61)

Postby mkultra » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:17 am

My dynasty league has a straight $3/yr salary increase unless the player is rookie-eligible coming into that season. I can't really say it's better or worse than other systems, it's really a matter of how tolerant your managers are going to be of keeping track of complicated scenarios. It's hard enough to judge trade value when looking at stats vs. salary, and lumping contract years and options on top of it means you really, really have to pay attention. Some people like that kind of detail, some feel it detracts from the "fun" of a league.

I agree that you should structure FAAB so that winning bids are player salaries.
mkultra
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 41)

Postby herbz » Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:47 pm

bigmck wrote:
herbz wrote:

Let me tell you some problems I see with the above. Your example above of Bryce Harper. He can be kept until 2016 and his salary only increases $10. That isn't enough. You are going to have the good players staying on the same team for many years. The salary should escalate to that the players have to be dropped quicker. My league has the Auction Value the first two years, an increase of $5 the third year and an increase of $10 for the fourth and later years. == The idea of waiver players only getting a $1 salary is not right. MIke Trout would have been picked up for a dollar this year. Use the FAAB and bid on all players.

mike trout was drafted at $1 - although i see your point...i guess you could say that everyone had a chance to bid there and didn't...
herbz
T-Ball Trainer

Postby Element » Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:59 pm

We increase value by $5 each season. It's just easier than dealing with contracts or percentage increases. FA's get a $10 base value. If you want a true(r) dynasty league then perhaps increasing by a lesser denomination ($2-3???) would be the way to go. We can only keep 7 in our format and most players do price out within a couple of seasons. You could also decrease the FA base value to something like $5 if your use deeper rosters.
Element
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 719)

Postby StoneColdBrown » Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:50 pm

I agree with Big (which I've seemed to notice is a rather common occurrence), but I'd actually start the increases immediately. I'd go with an increase of five the first year, ten the second year, fifteen the third year, and so on. Using the Harper example upthread: if Harper's a dollar in 2012 (no self-respecting league would let him go for that in 2013), then his 2013 salary would be six dollars. I doubt many people would have trouble with that. His 2014 salary would be 16 dollars. Likely not much issue there either. In 2015 he'd make 31 dollars...now we're getting somewhere. The owner gets three relatively cheap years and then has a decision to make.

I think any situation in which a player can be kept for more than three years at less-than-market value is bad for a league. It shifts the competitive balance a bit too much toward people who find cheap keepers: something that may not even be skill-based if you have a first-come first-served acquisition system (and really, a random waiver order is no better). If you use FAAB, then there's a case to be made. In general, though; 3-4 years seems to be the right amount of time to force owners to make such decisions.
StoneColdBrown
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

(Past Year: 1)

Next

Return to Commissioner's Corner