Daily line up changes - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Frequently Asked Fantasy Questions

Daily line up changes

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Daily line up changes

Postby soylent green » Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:45 pm

I am in my first roto league this year, actually three leagues but anyway... In one league there are odd rules (to me at least) 1)there are daily lineup changes, 2. you are only allowed 200 starts per year. How should this affect my draft. At first thought I would think that ace set up men would be more valuable because I could start them when one of my starting pitchers are on an off day and would think I could still get them kind of late. I do understand I would want to get as close to two hundred starts as possible while making sure I do not waste any of my stud starters starts at the end of the season. What about hitters? I have no idea.
If you don't see the sucker at the table in the first 5 min.
soylent green Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Daily line up changes

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:47 am

Daily lineup changes is very common. All that means is that you can update your roster daily, as opposed to weekly or some other interval. It sounds more complicated than it is.

200 games started may or may not affect your draft depending on how deep the league is. If you figure the average healthy starting pitcher has about 33 starts in a season, then 200 games started would allow for approximately 6 full starting pitcher seasons. Therefore, if the league is fairly shallow and one could easily draft more than 6 roster-worthy SP's, it's definitely worth considering the games started limit. For instance, if you know you can still get a quality starter for your 4th/5th/6th SP spots in later rounds, your earlier picks might be more wisely spent on hitters or closers. And during the course of the season, keep the 6 SP rule in mind. If you have a rotation of 7 or 8 SP's going at one time, realize that at some point you will have to cut back to 4 or 5 to balance things out, or hit your GS max early. You best bet is to try to develop a core group of 6 reliable, quality SP's and stick with them. If you find over the course of the season that quality SP's are readily available on free agency, you can try to sell some of your pitchers that might have more recognizable names but stats not far off from the free agent guys to less savvy managers in exchange for a big bat or a closer or something. Depending on the experience of your fellow managers, you might not have much success, but it's worth a shot, and there's usually at least one sucker in every league. That said, the elite SP's - 15+ win, 180+ K, sub-3.80 ERA type guys - are probably worth MORE in a league like this because they'll give you the most bang for your buck (read: stats for your starts, which are limited). If I were you, I would draft 2 or 3 of the elite starting pitchers early on and pick up the rest much later in the draft. You'd be surprised how many new pitchers emerge every season that equal or surpass the typical SP taken in the mid-late rounds of the draft.

Sorry if that's too much information at once, but to sum things up and directly address your original question, daily lineup changes are very common and nothing to worry about, and unless you're playing in a deep league, a 200 GS limit probably does diminish the overall value of starting pitchers a bit, but gives a slight boost to the value of elite starters.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Trojan Pony » Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:52 am

Oh, haha, I just realized the original post was from almost a year ago. Boy do I feel dumb.
Trojan Pony
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby TomBrooklyn » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:48 am

I just read it. Good info.
TomBrooklyn Beginner
College Coach
College Coach

Postby USBlues19 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 9:25 am

Trying to be a good forum-citizen, I'll post my question in this old thread.

I'm in a head-to-head league. Each week is a matchup, but we can adjust our lineups daily.

There are no limits on innings or number of starts by a starting pitcher.

We have slots for 5 SP and 6 RP.

In our league, SP's seem much more valuable then RP's. We get 3 points per IP, +5 for a Win or Save, -5 for Loss or Blown Save. The it's +1 for K, -1 for BB or H, -2 for ER.

For instance, on the waiver wire, the top 5 RP's have projected points of 160-180 for the season. The top 5 SP's have projected points of 296 to 325.

So if I'm thinking straight (this is where you come in), really I should just load up on SP's, even if it means leaving the starting RP slots empty. And then just adjust my lineup daily to make sure I've got the starting SP slots filled with guys pitching that day.

(It says we have only 5 bench slots, but I currently have 6 guys on the bench and 1 of my RP slots empty).

So for me, this would look like:
Drop 3 RP's: Ryan Cook (194), Tyler Clippard (149), and Sean Marshall (170)
Add 3 SP's such as Nova (297), Buehrle (304), James McDonald (311)

(With projected points in "()").

Thanks!
USBlues19
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby wrveres » Fri Apr 05, 2013 1:09 am

sounds about right to me.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero