Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers) - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Game of Thrones (definite book spoilers)

Postby wake » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:20 am

I'm looking forward to the premiere of this show on HBO this Sunday. I loved the books and it will be interesting to see what HBO can do with it. For those not familiar with it, Game of Thrones is based on a fantasy series, but it has more of a realistic, political edge to it.
wake
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Game of Thrones

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:31 am

never read the books but looking forward to the show
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby jfg » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:01 pm

Of all the new shows coming out right now, I think this one looks the best. Although I'm pretty impressed with all of the big shows that have premiered in the past couple weeks.
jfg
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicGolden Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 169)

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:49 pm

I've been looking forward to this for years

The girl that plays Daenerys looks awesome. The Starks and Jon look good but the Lannisters do not look as I pictured them. Google the trailers, the lannisters are not right.

And for true fans, after 6 years Martin has finally announced a release date for A Dance With Dragons, which will come out July 12, 2011 which is a full 6 years since the release of a feast for crows. The HBO series is reviving interest in the books and this release will be huge.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 301)

Postby Tis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:38 pm

I like epic Fantasy, and I've read a lot (Jordan, Goodkind, Tad Williams, Donaldson, Feist, Modesitt, Butcher..., even Sanderson's monstrous new one) but I just cant enjoy these. They are just a downward spiral of misery. Nobody's situation ever improves (ever), and the few likable characters keep getting killed off. It's Lemony Snicket for adults.

I was halfway through the third book, on my second try with the series, when I lost it and threw the thing at a wall. Not going back.

That said, I am curious about the HBO series, but will probably like it better if it DOESN'T hold to the plot much. That's something I don't think I've ever said before.

For fans of high/epic fantasy, if you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss, you are really missing out. The best of the current bunch by far, to my tastes.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:16 pm

Tis wrote:I like epic Fantasy, and I've read a lot (Jordan, Goodkind, Tad Williams, Donaldson, Feist, Modesitt, Butcher..., even Sanderson's monstrous new one) but I just cant enjoy these. They are just a downward spiral of misery. Nobody's situation ever improves (ever), and the few likable characters keep getting killed off. It's Lemony Snicket for adults.

I was halfway through the third book, on my second try with the series, when I lost it and threw the thing at a wall. Not going back.

That said, I am curious about the HBO series, but will probably like it better if it DOESN'T hold to the plot much. That's something I don't think I've ever said before.

For fans of high/epic fantasy, if you haven't read Patrick Rothfuss, you are really missing out. The best of the current bunch by far, to my tastes.

Are you joking? You think that Martin is too depressing but you like Thomas Covenant the miserable tale of a luckless leper?

The Martin series is the best fantasy ever written. The story is epic and the characters are very deep. Sure the get killed and there is a creeping doom but winter is coming so they say. If you want it all roses and happy ending stick to disney. The characters develop excellently, for instance Tyrion who started off as an unlikeable wretch has developed into a very sympathetic character and he certainly does improve his station as does Daenyris. I've read the entire series 3 times and will do so again this summer before the release of the next book.

I've read almost all the science fiction and fantasy out there and this is the series that I most highly recommend.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterHockey ModBasketball ModFootball ModMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Tis » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:
Tis wrote:I like epic Fantasy, and I've read a lot (Jordan, Goodkind, Tad Williams, Donaldson, Feist, Modesitt, Butcher..., even Sanderson's monstrous new one) but I just cant enjoy these. They are just a downward spiral of misery. Nobody's situation ever improves (ever), and the few likable characters keep getting killed off. It's Lemony Snicket for adults.

Are you joking? You think that Martin is too depressing but you like Thomas Covenant the miserable tale of a luckless leper?

The Martin series is the best fantasy ever written. The story is epic and the characters are very deep. Sure the get killed and there is a creeping doom but winter is coming so they say. If you want it all roses and happy ending stick to disney. The characters develop excellently, for instance Tyrion who started off as an unlikeable wretch has developed into a very sympathetic character and he certainly does improve his station as does Daenyris. I've read the entire series 3 times and will do so again this summer before the release of the next book.

I've read almost all the science fiction and fantasy out there and this is the series that I most highly recommend.

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! Highlight to read.

Well, Covenant annoyed me a bit too, but at least that had some resolution, some victories along the way. I don't mind up and down, I just don't like all down. Tyrion, at least 2.5 books in, isn't a good guy (if not really a bad-guy) so his successes are rather irrelevant, and yes he briefly had some ups, before getting blown up, nearly murdered, losing all his authority, and being forced to marry a 13 year old hostage against her will. (BTW, Martin's weird sexual fantasies get to be a bit much too, dwarves, pre-pubecent girls, brother on sister... when do the animals get involved? Who's going be the first to screw a wolf?)

And Daenyris, I get that she's supposed to be a likable character, others have told me this, but I feel nothing when I read her parts. They are just filler. Completely unrelated to the rest of the story (thus far, I know). I don't like her and I can't care about her. The characters I did find likable, the kids (well, not Theon or Joffrey for obvious reasons) just get one hit after another till I gave up.

I understand others like the books, just my opinion here.

And have you read Name of the Wind, out of curiosity, since you've read so much else?
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:48 pm

Tis wrote:
Mookie4ever wrote:

POTENTIAL SPOILERS!!!!!!!!! Highlight to read.

Well, Covenant annoyed me a bit too, but at least that had some resolution, some victories along the way. I don't mind up and down, I just don't like all down. Tyrion, at least 2.5 books in, isn't a good guy (if not really a bad-guy) so his successes are rather irrelevant, and yes he briefly had some ups, before getting blown up, nearly murdered, losing all his authority, and being forced to marry a 13 year old hostage against her will. (BTW, Martin's weird sexual fantasies get to be a bit much too, dwarves, pre-pubecent girls, brother on sister... when do the animals get involved? Who's going be the first to screw a wolf?)

And Daenyris, I get that she's supposed to be a likable character, others have told me this, but I feel nothing when I read her parts. They are just filler. Completely unrelated to the rest of the story (thus far, I know). I don't like her and I can't care about her. The characters I did find likable, the kids (well, not Theon or Joffrey for obvious reasons) just get one hit after another till I gave up.

I understand others like the books, just my opinion here.

And have you read Name of the Wind, out of curiosity, since you've read so much else?

Rob and Kate were empty characters and it greatly advanced the story to kill them. Jon and Bran have become the most important characters on their continent. Theon is an excellent character rife with conflict.. Arya is very mysterious and the foreshadowing about her is building a lot of anticipation. I love Tyrion and I'm very excited about seeing Dinklage play him.

It looks like they are going to play up the sex a lot on the series but it's not huge in the books but the reality is that in medieval times girls got married at 12 or 13. It was very natural to the books and not shoehorned in. If this stuff affects you stay away from Guy Gavriel Kay's books where the scenes with slave girls are awesome :-)

The story is almost universally lauded, it's your prerogative to dislike it and the characters but you can't dispute that he's a terrific writer.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby Mookie4ever » Tue Apr 12, 2011 5:51 pm

Name of the wind? Never heard of it. I'll look it up. I'm just finishing some Ursula Leguin and I'm looking for something to read next.
Mookie4ever
Head Moderator
Head Moderator

Postby fezzik » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Mookie4ever wrote:

I agree Mook...I've read all of the aforementioned authors. Martin is hands-down the best IMO. The realism and depth of characters aren't typical for the genre, so I can in theory see how it might put some people off...but for me it's the best fantasy series I've ever read without a doubt. It's also written better on a technical level than the other authors mentioned. And the changing of perspectives from chapter to chapter works exceptionally well, even with so many characters.

I haven't read too much in the last 5 years, but if you don't mind branching a bit into Sci-fi I recommend Hyperion by Dan Simmons...but you've probably already read it.
fezzik
General Manager
General Manager

Eagle Eye

Next

Return to General Talk