Artful's Soccer Thread - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Artful's Soccer Thread

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Artful's Soccer Thread

Postby lastingsgriller » Tue May 24, 2011 2:46 pm

so, AD.. seeing that your two favorite football clubs are playing each other in the 2nd biggest football match of the year (next to the FA cup final), who are you rooting for?
Follow me on the twit! @chadmiller16
lastingsgriller
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
(Past Year: 172)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby perlick29 » Tue May 24, 2011 2:55 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:so, AD.. seeing that your two favorite football clubs are playing each other in the 2nd biggest football match of the year (next to the FA cup final), who are you rooting for?

The rapture.

Oh sorry, was that not addressed to me?
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 24, 2011 3:49 pm

lastingsgriller wrote:so, AD.. seeing that your two favorite football clubs are playing each other in the 2nd biggest football match of the year (next to the FA cup final), who are you rooting for?

United. I was seriously gutted when United lost to Barca two years ago.

My English cousins and I are United fans first. We all have positive feelings towards Barca to varying extents because of our family ties and we visit home (Barcelona) whenever we can. I'm more partisan to Barca than my expat relatives and in fact, when Barca visit the States, I make it a point to see their games. I still go to shareholder-exclusive Barca functions, especially when the players attend them. I love both clubs dearly in different ways; Barca are a part of my Catalan heritage (well half of it anyway :-b) and United are the club I grew in love with the most.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 24, 2011 3:50 pm

perlick29 wrote:

The rapture.

Oh sorry, was that not addressed to me?

Still waiting, no? :-b

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 24, 2011 5:41 pm

Juventus won Gary Neville's testimonial, 2-1, but it was an entertaining exhibition nonetheless. It was disappointing to see not enough former players invited/suited up. Anyhow, that didn't stop me from getting nostalgia overload seeing both Neville brothers, Nicky Butt, and of course David Beckham running around in a United kit at Old Trafford again. They along with Ryan Giggs and Paul Scholes just felt like the glorious 90's all over again. Fantastic.

I'll be honest, I shed a few tears for Gary Neville when he came off the pitch. Heaven knows I'd be in mourning when Giggs and Scholes (more so Giggs) hang up their boots. :-b

I love these before and after pics. So, this was the much vaunted Class of '92 back in erm, 1992. From the left, that's Giggs, Nicky Butt, Beckham, Gary Neville, Phil Neville, and Scholes...

Before tonight's testimonial, 19 years later... the same group with Sir Alex in the present pic instead:

Giggs, Becks, and Scholes have aged fairly well. Nicky Butt is bald. :-b I've seen these guys debut all those years ago and I must be feeling ancient right now. :-B

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 24, 2011 6:06 pm

Becks was doing his best Zack Morris impersonation back in '92.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 24, 2011 6:18 pm

bigh0rt wrote:Becks was doing his best Zack Morris impersonation back in '92.

:-b

I wish his wife would do her best Posh Spice impersonation, come to think of it.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue May 24, 2011 6:26 pm

Here's something h0rt might like, what appears to be United's goalkeeper kit next year... and I think it's a beauty:

...and now that Edwin Van Der Sar will retire after Saturday, the new #1 who will wear it is now former Atletico Madrid's goalkeeper, David De Gea.

Fergie confirms De Gea signing

A very good signing. De Gea has the same qualities as VDS, but younger and has the upside to be as good as VDS. He'll be less busy at United than Atletico, since Atletico's backline has been nothing short of shambolic this season.

What else does De Gea bring to the table? Well, his girlfriend is quite the looker:

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

Postby bigh0rt » Tue May 24, 2011 10:33 pm

Love that GK kit as long as they don't pair it with wacky green/yellow shorts and socks. Keep it black and sleek with maybe some colored piping or trim and it'll be real sharp. I'm usually not a fan of the mock neck, but it looks good on this jersey, and I love the logo on the back center neck area.
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Wed May 25, 2011 12:40 am

bigh0rt wrote:Love that GK kit as long as they don't pair it with wacky green/yellow shorts and socks. Keep it black and sleek with maybe some colored piping or trim and it'll be real sharp. I'm usually not a fan of the mock neck, but it looks good on this jersey, and I love the logo on the back center neck area.

Usually, Nike pairs the GK top with shorts of the same color or a darker color. I'm positive the shorts will be black. It would be cool if the trim had the same design but confined to just a singular stripe shape.

The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk