Nelson Cruz — gone. Jhonny Peralta — gone. Everth Cabrera — gone. Alex Rodriguez? We’ll see. We dissect how the Biogenesis suspensions affect fantasy leagues over the rest of the year and into 2014 before heading into the rest of fantasy baseball in this week’s Cafe Pod.
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- Boyakasha – Yasiel Puig or Dustin Pedroia
- miracles716 – Robinson Cano or Chris Davis
- acw9293 – Replacing injured catchers
- trifecta – Jose Fernandez or Curtis Granderson
- Garvey6 – September callups: Jonathan Singleton, Zach Lee or Joc Pederson?
- cubsfan61 – Dynasty deal: Anthony Rizzo/Jedd Gyorko or Jose Altuve/Salvador Perez
- Surfs up – Anthony Rendon or Jonathan Villar
- LumberYardMT – Patrick Corbin or Alfonso Soriano — wait, what?
- bravo369 – Keeping three pitchers in a five-keeper league?
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- This week, an NL-only OF who can’t manage to stay on a field and an AL OBP machine who’s been a monster in recent weeks. Play along and try to name the claims.
- This year’s deadline was a little “meh,” but we look at some of the youngsters that changed hands, including Avasail Garcia, Grant Green, Matt Stites and Kyle Smith.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- It’s time to stream against the Mets with David Wright out, and the Marlins are looking mighty tasty going into the weekend. Check out all of our spot-start suggestions in this week’s six-day forecast.
- Jonathan Niese could come back this weekend, but wait just a second before you rush out to grab him. Josh Willingham should be back next weekend as well, and he might make for an appetizing August trade for contenders needing OF help — I’m looking at you, Rangers. Speaking of the Rangers, Colby Lewis seems ready to go, so who is getting bumped from the rotation, if anyone?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Houston’s looking to replace Jose Veras, and a committee might be in store. We try and find the Astro RPs worth picking up. The Mariners have penciled Danny Farquhar in at closer moving forward apparently. Go add him in all leagues, right? And Kevin Gregg may be pitching himself out of closing duties even if a trade can’t be made.
WRAP IT UP
- The NL MVP race looks about as clear as mud. Can Clayton Kershaw win it with a microscopic ERA and non-elite win total? Or will another young Dodger split the L.A. vote and potentially take home the MVP himself? Andrew McCutchen is also lurking as a strong contender, especially if the Pirates keep winning.
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!