Ryan Braun has been suspended for the remainder of 2013. While he’s obviously finished helping fantasy teams in redraft leagues, it’s not too early to debate his value in 2014. Would you spend a first-round pick on the guy? That and more on this week’s Cafe Pod.
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- jbrookes114 – Everth Cabrera or Norichika Aoki
- Carnac – Jed Lowrie or Erick Aybar
- trumptight – Freddie Freeman or Cole Hamels
- toof90 – Pick four keepers
- Applewalk – Clay Buchholz keeper league trade
- Wadderboiz – Replacing Alfonso Soriano
- ron paul for pres – Drop Josh Hamilton
- gotigers54 – Chris Sale vs. Justin Verlander in six-man trade
- TheGhost – Pick six keepers out of impressive young talent
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- This week, an NL-only OF bat for redraft leagues and a rising star pitcher who needs to be owned universally. Play along and see if you can name the claims.
- Matt Garza was traded for a package of three young players at various levels of progression. We discuss the fantasy upside of Mike Olt, Justin Grimm and C.J. Edwards, along with a look at shortstops Xander Bogaerts and Addison Russell, in this week’s Future Rookies.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- We picked on the White Sox and Marlins this week by rolling with several Indians pitchers as streaming options. We give you at least one spot-start option for each day of the week, as well as a few guys who need to be owned in far more leagues.
- Brandon Beachy comes back on Monday, and we debate how he stacks up in fantasy leagues over the remainder of the season. Derek Jeter’s back, so we try to ascertain his value in standard leagues and find a few guys worth cutting for The Captain. And Albert Pujols is out for a while, maybe the entire year. We take a look at how the Angels might fill that role and discuss whether Futures Game participant C.J. Cron is ready.
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- What? The Rangers may be willing to deal Joe Nathan? That’s cool, but who would close in Texas if a deal is struck? Whoever that reliever is, he could have some serious fantasy value down the stretch. Also, we look at the next guy up in the Astros bullpen if Jose Veras is dealt. And should Jonathan Papelbon pack his bags?
WRAP IT UP
- The Angels are reportedly willing to become sellers, but what exactly does that mean? They have several assets they wouldn’t move for anything and several huge contracts that no one wants. Can the Angels actually spin anybody into some solid young talent?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!