It’s time for another Cafe Pod, where we take a trip around the rotosphere to take stock of the talent in fantasy baseball and give some (hopefully) helpful advice for fantasy teams. This week, we start with a look at the Pirates, the first team to 50 wins this season. Who could have predicted that? They’ve done it with outstanding pitching, but is this team ready to stand the test of a pennant race and emerge as legitimate World Series contenders?
The Cafe Lineup has been preempted this week due to technical issues, but we discussed plenty of players throughout the podcast who are likely the focus of many of your lineup and trade questions.
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- We quiz each other on waiver claims that we’re thinking of making or have already made. Both players this week carried a fair bit of hype heading into the year, but one hasn’t played while the other only made his owners wish he hadn’t played. Can you name the claims?
- We discuss the stock of Kyle Gibson, who put together a very good debut this past weekend, and Brad Miller, who is unowned in virtually all Yahoo and ESPN leagues. We also check in with how Martin Perez is equating himself to the rotation and dig up some sleepers for dynasty rookie drafts being held over the All-Star break.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- It’s time to find some potential spot-start gems for the upcoming week, including some Marlins opponents, some great K:BB ratios, a few calculated risks and at least one guy who should be added in all leagues immediately.
- Bryce Harper, David Price, Wei-Yin Chen, Carl Crawford and Everth Cabrera could all be back with their teams this week. How do their returns affect the fantasy stock of their teammates and even themselves?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- The Brewers continue to juggle closers, the early disappointment is back in Detroit and Heath Bell is on his way off fantasy teams. But which of baseball’s 30(-ish) closers is the biggest lock to be traded this month?
WRAP IT UP
- Who’s the biggest name that will change hands this trading season, and which team will pull the trigger? Is anyone else fascinated by what the surging Pirates will do to compete for a title?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!