This week, Josh Shepardson of Baseball Prospectus joins me to answer Cafe questions, name waiver claims, discuss rookies and prospects, forecast spot-starters, dissect players returning from injury and examine bullpens, but first, Nick Franklin turned a hot start in the minors to a starting job in the majors. Does he have what it takes to stick with the Mariners all year, and is he a useful fantasy commodity to own?
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- JoshuaHavok – Rank top-five pitcher pickups
- cfontenot86 – Max Scherzer or Carlos Gomez
- sjguzin – Josh Reddick or Marcell Ozuna
- BALCO All-Stars – Desmond Jennings or Alex Gordon
- Garvey6 – Deep AL minors options
- JMR162; – Gio Gonzalez or Matt Holliday
- miracles716 – Brandon Morrow as a roster stash
- redn22 – Trading your only closer
- nickels2012 – Monday: Trevor Cahill or Kyle Kendrick
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- We quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. One’s a former top prospect, the other is a current top prospect. Who can name the claim? Play along as you listen.
- We weigh the fantasy prospects of Yasiel Puig, Chris Archer, Tyler Skaggs, Anthony Rendon, Zack Wheeler, Yordano Ventura and Carlos Martinez.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- Those inclined to stream have at least one option every day in Your 7-Day Forecast. Ricky Nolasco, Dan Straily, Eric Stults, Andrew Cashner, Tyler Chatwood and more are in our weekly stable of streamers this week.
- We discuss whether the Yankees made the right decision in optioning Vidal Nuno and rolling with David Phelps now that Andy Pettitte is on the way back, what the Dodgers are going to do on the left side of the infield with Hanley Ramirez’s return, whether Jayson Werth is worth owning in fantasy leagues and whether Jackie Bradley has the goods to be used in fantasy leagues long-term.
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Rafael Betancourt, Huston Street, Chris Perez. Three closers were placed on the disabled list this week. Which of Rex Brothers, Luke Gregerson and Vinnie Pestano is most worthy of a waiver claim? How much longer can the Dodgers keep Kenley Jansen from closing?
WRAP IT UP
- Now that we’re in early June, the Super Two deadline restricting some cost-conscious teams from promoting prospects and starting service clocks is almost upon us, which may lead to fantasy baseball getting an injection of marquee names in the coming month. Who’s due for a promotion?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!