This week’s Cafe Pod is full of more than an hour of fantasy advice, starting with what to do with the struggling Ike Davis. We answer nine fantasy questions in the Cafe lineup before guessing each other’s waiver claims this week. Future Rookies includes Kevin Gausman, Michael Wacha, Tyler Skaggs and more. We find a plethora of spot-start options in Your 7-Day Forecast. Plenty of Yankees are on their way back in the Injury Report. Five bullpens are under the microscope in the Bottom of the 9th, and I have a progressive idea for what to do with the closer position. Finally, we wrap it up with a look at the dominance of Chris Davis. It’s an extra-long episode of the Cafe Pod, but what else do you have to do on Memorial Day?
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- We quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. Can they guess each other’s pick? Can you? Play along as you listen.
- We decide if Kevin Gausman should be owned in all leagues, if Jose Iglesias and Hiroyuki Nakajima should be owned in any leagues, if Mike Zunino will see enough action to lose his rookie eligibility this year, if Michael Wacha is worth an add and more.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- It seems like we threw about 20 names against the wall in this week’s 7-Day Forecast, including Jose Quintana, Jake Odorizzi, Andrew Cashner, Jerome Williams, Dan Straily and more.
- In this episode of Yankee Hospital, Curtis Granderson went bye-bye again, but Andy Pettitte, Kevin Youkilis and Mark Teixeira are on their way back to the active roster. Also, we consider whether Jered Weaver is usable in fantasy leagues immediately and whether he makes for a good buy-high. And where does Yasmani Grandal, who returns Tuesday from suspension, rank among catchers?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Is Francisco Rodriguez the clear option for saves in Milwaukee? Is Fernando Rodney on his way out of the closing role after two votes of confidence? And will Joe Maddon give in to his progressive nature and consider my starter/closer idea? Is Rafael Betancourt turning Rex Brothers into an ownable fantasy option? Is Mike Redmond really going to use everybody at closer? Is Vinnie Pestano or Joe Smith (or someone else) the guy to own in Cleveland? Who are the top three waiver adds out of those teams?
WRAP IT UP
- If Miguel Cabrera deserved the MVP over Mike Trout based on the criteria that he made the playoffs and he played well down the stretch, Chris Davis was robbed by not receiving any MVP votes (an argument I’ve made before). This year, Davis has played himself into the MVP conversation. Where does he finish in the voting, and how many HRs does he end up with this year?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!