In this week’s Cafe Pod, Josh and I discuss prospects Jurickson Profar and Jake Odorizzi joining their major-league teams. We also answer Draft, Trade, Keeper, Waiver questions from the Cafe forums, play “Name That Waiver Claim,” pick some spot-starters worthy of your attention (and a few worth holding on to), talk about the returns of Matt Garza and others, figure out if two of last year’s top closers are in trouble, pick the best young pitcher in baseball and more.
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- potown poboy
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- We quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. Can they guess each other’s pick? Can you? Play along as you listen.
- We consider whether Jurickson Profar can stick in the Rangers lineup this season, if Jake Odorizzi can have immediate success and if Travis d’Arnaud is worth keeping in redraft leagues.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- This week’s look at potential fantasy spot-starters includes reasons to buy Rick Porcello and Ubaldo Jimenez as well as multiple starts against the Marlins (as per usual).
- With Johnny Cueto back, how do we feel about our first taste of Tony Cingrani? Did the Cubs make the right choice to pull from the rotation with Matt Garza returning? Does A.J. Pierzynski have value in one-catcher leagues? Can Michael Cuddyer keep up his hot start?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Is Andrew Bailey the league’s biggest injury risk at closer? Do the Orioles and Rays have to start considering other options in the ninth inning after ugly performances from Jim Johnson and Fernando Rodney?
WRAP IT UP
- Josh and I pick our best young pitcher as asked in a Baseball Leftovers poll.
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!