In this week’s Cafe Pod, Josh and I talk about whether Roy Halladay is a Hall of Famer without throwing another pitch. We also answer Cafe user questions, quiz each other on prospective waiver claims, examine a few rookie pitchers and middle-infield prospect Nick Franklin, pick out some fantasy spot-starters for Week 7, look at the situations impacted by the returns of Jason Heyward, Curtis Granderson, Neil Walker and Zack Greinke, check out the Angels, Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Cubs and Dodgers bullpens and finally guess whether the Los Angeles area will have playoff baseball in 2013.
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- Surfs up
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- The guys quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. Can they guess each other’s pick? Can you? Play along as you listen.
- Which rookie Phillie pitcher is worth owning? Is Padre Burch Smith worth a look in fantasy? What’s up with the next Cardinal prospect to take the mound this week? And is it time to jump on Mariners shortstop prospect Nick Franklin?
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- This week’s look at potential fantasy spot-starters includes endorsements for Scott Kazmir and Ubaldo Jimenez. What year is it?
- Players returning from injury worth discussing include Jason Heyward, Curtis Granderson, Neil Walker and Zack Greinke. Will Heyward and Walker turn around mediocre seasons? Will Granderson and Greinke be worth using in leagues right off the bat?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Ryan Madson’s returning; how does it affect Ernesto Frieri? Say goodbye to Joel Hanrahan; is this Andrew Bailey’s gig, or is Junichi Tazawa the better option? What’s up with the Diamondbacks? Are there any dark-horse saves candidates in Wrigleyville? Finally, is it finally time for change in the back-end of the Dodgers bullpen?
WRAP IT UP
- Josh and I predict whether either the Angels or Dodgers make the playoffs after slumping early in the season.
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!