This week on the Cafe Pod, we note that the AL East standings seem flipped from preseason expectations. Can the Red Sox keep surging, and can the Blue Jays get things turned around? We also answer some Cafe questions, play Name That Waiver Claim, examine a few rookies, find good spot starters for the rest of the week, discuss a few key players returning from injury/suspension and diagnose a few closer situations.
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe forums are answered, from the following users:
- Rally Cat
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- The guys quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. Will we guess right? No spoilers, so play along as you listen.
- The big name promoted is a guy we discussed last week, Anthony Rendon. Was the timing right? Also, what do we make of Allen Webster’s first start, and how does Travis d’Arnaud’s injury affect the Mets?
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- We make it a five-day forecast this week and identify spot starters to consider from Wednesday through Sunday, including one pitcher who may be worth an add in all leagues if he sticks in the rotation.
- Freddie Freeman is back with the Braves, so what will they do about playing time for Chris Johnson and Juan Francisco? John Lackey could be back this weekend; is he worth a start against the Astros, or do we need to wait and see? Carlos Ruiz should be back this weekend as well; should owners cut April surprises John Buck and Evan Gattis for him?
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- The Cardinals and Red Sox may have finally found their closers in Edward Mujica and Andrew Bailey. The Tigers say Jose Valverde will close immediately. What are they thinking?
WRAP IT UP
- Last year, Mike Trout and Bryce Harper were promoted in late April and took the league by storm. Who will be the next big-name prospect promoted?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!