We’re back to talk about the first week of baseball and what it means for your fantasy teams. Is Chris Davis legit? Is there ever a bad time to spot start a pitcher against the Astros? Does the return of David Ortiz spell the demise of Jackie Bradley, Jr. in fantasy leagues? Will John Axford be the next closer domino to fall? Join us as we discuss hot starts, trade offers, waiver claims, future rookies, spot starters, injury returns, closer turmoil and more.
- R.J. White of Fantasy Baseball Cafe (et. al.) and Josh Shepardson of Baseball Prospectus (et. al.)
- Who’s been the biggest surprise over the first week of the season?
- Nine fantasy baseball questions from the Cafe’s Draft, Trade, Keeper, Waiver forum are answered, from the following users:
NAME THAT WAIVER CLAIM
- The guys quiz each other on waiver claims on their respective radars, one from the AL and one from the NL. No spoilers, so play along as you listen.
- Josh discusses the merits of Tony Cingrani after the prospect’s 14-K game and reveals what he discovered while watching the first starts of the year for Danny Hultzen and Zack Wheeler.
YOUR 7-DAY FORECAST
- The guys break down potential spot-start pitchers for the remainder of the week for H2H owners. How can you not churn pitchers against the Astros?
- The guys discuss the Boston trio of John Lackey, David Ortiz and Stephen Drew, as well as returning players Chad Billingsley and David Freese and how their returns affect the rest of their teams.
BOTTOM OF THE 9TH
- Carlos Marmol is out, Kyuji Fujikawa is in. Was it the right move? (Spoiler alert: yes.) Will Jose Valverde eventually usurp Joaquin Benoit? Are John Axford and Greg Holland in trouble? Which RP is the best to add: Fujikawa, Benoit, Jim Henderson or Kelvin Herrera?
WRAP IT UP
- The Astros have 99 problems, and Ks are 74 of them through six games. Will the Astros break the all-time team record for strikeouts?
Check it out on iTunes or below.
R.J. White is the head editor at the Cafe and contributes to CBSSports.com's MLB Rumors blog. He has previously written for FanHouse, Razzball and FanDuel. Catch up with him in the forums under the name daullaz. Follow him on Twitter; don't follow him in real life.
Want to write for the Cafe? Check out the Cafe's Pencil & Paper section!